2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Lassen Volcanic National Park, 4th of July Trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nbo10 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 7:37 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can anyone recommend any trails for a 4th of July trip? looking for either a 1 or 2 nights in the back country. Some lake side views or camping would be nice. Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of great hikes there---this is one of our favorite parks.  BUt the best hikes are day-hikes, not backpacks.  One route you might try is to leave Summit Lake and do the loop through Echo Lake, Twin Lakes, Cluster Lakes, and back.  That's about ten miles, and I think you hike by twelve different lakes.  I suppose if you wanted to extend that hike, you could continue down from Twin Lakes to Snag Lake...and then come back up the next day.

A second night would allow you to add in Cinder Cone to that itinerary...a dry, dusty climb to the top...but pretty amazing volcanic features.

ON the other hand, I've heard some wonderful things about hiking into the Caribou Wilderness next door, starting with a night at Silver Lake, and then exploring from there.

You can't go wrong!

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have any great backpacking ideas, but for dayhiking Brokeoff Mountain (7 miles RT) is spectacular.

If you're there July 4 weekend, you'll also have the option of hiking up Lassen itself (they're doing trail work, and it's open just a few weekends over the summer). That means big crowds on Lassen, but it could be worth it--that's up to you.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 4
BSuess Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I were you, I would do a day hike to the top of either Lassen or Brokeoff and then do an overniter a little further south in the Thousand Lakes Wilderness. If you pack into Everett Lake, you pretty much have the best camping spot in the Lassen Cascade, plus you can hike to the top of Magee Peak the next morning before packing out.

If you really want to do an overniter in the park, go to the Butte Lake Campground and do the loop around Butte and Snag Lakes, camp at the south end of Snag, then loop back up north and climb the . If you have a little gas in the tank, you can also hike to the top of Prospect Peak. The Fantastic Lava Beds and the Painted Dunes are highlights of this area and are the most distinctive sights outside of the immediate Lassen Peak area.

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
 Post Number: 5
mtnsteve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BSuess
If you really want to do an overniter in the park, go to the Butte Lake Campground and do the loop around Butte and Snag Lakes, camp at the south end of Snag, then loop back up north and climb the . If you have a little gas in the tank, you can also hike to the top of Prospect Peak. The Fantastic Lava Beds and the Painted Dunes are highlights of this area and are the most distinctive sights outside of the immediate Lassen Peak area.

I second this option. I would camp on the East side of the lake. I have been there a few times on July 4th and have had that area all to myself... ok, once my wife and I had to share it with another couple. I counted 15+ camp fires around the lake one night, everyone who came by would say "you're the only one here???

--------------
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."
Helen Keller
 Post Number: 6
RaymondMillbrae Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How is the fishing at Snag Lake during the 4th of July weekend?

What type of fish, and what lures to use.

I am looking at purchasing a lil ghetto rod for this overnighter.

SHAKESPEAR

or

EAGLE CLAW?

In Christ: Raymond
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 7
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a fly fisherman...so I can't help much with your gear.

Butte Lake has very few fish.  Snag Lake may have more...but I've really only seen great fishing at Manzanita Lake in Lassen---and it is for barbless hooks, fly fishing only.

Lovely fish there

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 8
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 1:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My son and I were there the same time last year (that was one of 4 times you could summit Lassen). We backpacked from Summit Lake to Snag Lake and back (was supposed to be 2 nights but did it in just 1). You can view our trip report if you wish.
7 replies since May 27 2013, 7:37 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Lassen Volcanic National Park
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions