2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Havasupai Falls Hike, Looking for maps, tips, suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Surfer Bill Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 2:56 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In a related post, "Hiking in the Heat," I mentioned that I am taking a group of Varsity/Venture Scouts (14-17 year olds), with four other adults to Havasupai Falls June 24-27. What topo maps do we need to cover the entire hike (1:24,000)?

We are also looking for tips, suggestions and advice from experienced hikers who have done this trip in the hot summer months. Yes, we plan on hiking night/early morning hours to avoid the hot part of the day. Great hiking in the heat suggestions in the other post, but looking for ideas on what to do while we are there, campsite suggestions, etc.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You have to camp in the designated campground.  There are numerous interesting areas that you won't be allowed to explore because they contain burials.  They take that pretty seriously, and on the reservation, their laws are what counts.  There is good water at the camp.

You can scramble down to lower elevations and follow the creek below the falls, or visit the cafe in town.  

Loose dogs (and sometimes horses and mules) roam the camp at all times, so everything needs to be kept clean.   They will get into everything and they will chew on various items, as will the squirrels.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know, you can go to the USGS website and look at every map they make.  Type in what you are looking for and it will take you there.  I just typed in Havasu Falls, and it showed me the Topo named Havasu Falls.  From there, I looked at the Supai topo also.  Judging from that, I then went to MyTopo.com and created a single map that would cover all of the hike.

Now, you may want multiple copies of maps, so maybe you want official USGS ones, but I prefer all of the info on one page.  MyTopo maps are also waterproof, so they are a bit tougher, but I do not think water damage will be an issue on this hike.

USGS store

MyTopo.com

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Todd Martin's trail description is good but he ranks up there as a 'super hiker', so take his hike times accordingly.
http://www.toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Arizona/GrandCanyon/Canyon8.htm

A couple of things that I would stress.  Pay particular attention to your gear list and go as light as possible.  Scouts don't generally have a reputation for efficient packing but it will matter here. A heavy pack exasperates effects of the heat and makes for slow hiking, which will just compound the issue as the day gets hotter.

Expect to carry at least 3L of water each. I would have the adults or the stronger hikers carrying an extra liter as backup.  I drink twice as much water in the Canyon than I do on trails here in Michigan.  The dry air means your body loses that much more water from evaporation. It can be deceiving because you won't necessarily sweat more, sometimes less.

Btw, understand that, as Grand Canyon hikes go, this one is nowhere near one of the best.  It's popularity is strictly about the falls.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jun. 11 2013, 12:33 am)
Btw, understand that, as Grand Canyon hikes go, this one is nowhere near one of the best.  It's popularity is strictly about the falls.

Quite so.  That reminds me, special caution is warranted for the and especially diving.  Statistically, the water is more dangerous than the heat and I've seen kids do some crazy dives down there (and some crazy barefoot climbing to get to the crazy dives).
 Post Number: 6
Surfer Bill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 10 2013, 11:35 am)
You know, you can go to the USGS website and look at every map they make.  Type in what you are looking for and it will take you there.  I just typed in Havasu Falls, and it showed me the Topo named Havasu Falls.  From there, I looked at the Supai topo also.  Judging from that, I then went to MyTopo.com and created a single map that would cover all of the hike.

Now, you may want multiple copies of maps, so maybe you want official USGS ones, but I prefer all of the info on one page.  MyTopo maps are also waterproof, so they are a bit tougher, but I do not think water damage will be an issue on this hike.

USGS store

MyTopo.com

Any thoughts on alltrails.com, which used to be topo.com? I have their CA topos on CD, which I have loved b/c you can draw routes, get elevation profiles, 3-D views, etc. compared to the flat views on USGS topo maps.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 1:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anywhere you can get maps will be fine.  There's no chance of missing the trail, since dozens of horses and mules make the trip every day.  I've seen strings of 20 pack horses there.
6 replies since Jun. 10 2013, 2:56 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Havasupai Falls Hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions