2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: LOOKING FOR INFO ON SUMMIT LAKES TRAIL, CA< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RaymondMillbrae Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 12:37 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey folks,

I am located in the NorCal area. I was looking at the June 2013 Backpacker Magazine, and saw a cool hike I'd like to try out. It is called the SUMMIT LAKES TRAIL, located in the Lassen Volcanic National Park. (Page 31)

At the bottom of the page it gives the location for the trip data. (Backpacker.com/hikes/2166471). But when I type it in, that specific trail does not pop up. I have searched the website, and found another Summit Lakes Trail...sans waypoints, or specific directions.

I was hoping to get the page that shows the hike description, as well as the waypoints.

Can anyone post the correct link? (Ive tried to contact Backpacker Magazine several times in the past, but I never get answers or responses back).

If not, no problem, I can figure it out.

But it would sure be time-saving to just input all the waypoint info into the Garmin Base Camp program, and then download it onto my GPS as a back-up. ;)

Thanks in advance.

In Christ: Raymond
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WE have this hike on our website.  It's pretty easy to follow.  GEt a map of the area, and it will all make sense.  the trail goes from Summit Lake to Echo Lake...then Twin Lakes...and around the loop back to Summit.

Lovely hke. There must be more than a lake per mile on this route.  

here's a link to our website and its description:

https://sites.google.com/site....f-tahoe

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice info Balza.  I have recently moved to the Modesto area and am also looking for hikes to do.  I have added a few of your suggestions.  Thanks.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!  From Modesto, you are only a couple of hours from just about anyplace in the Sierra!

--------------
Balzaccom

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 2:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Jun. 11 2013, 12:34 am)
WE have this hike on our website.  It's pretty easy to follow.  GEt a map of the area, and it will all make sense.  the trail goes from Summit Lake to Echo Lake...then Twin Lakes...and around the loop back to Summit.

Lovely hke. There must be more than a lake per mile on this route.  

here's a link to our website and its description:

https://sites.google.com/site....f-tahoe

I saw your website, and it was pretty cool.

But I didn't see this hike on your website. Just a general description of a hike of the vicinity.

Did I miss it?

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry.  The hike is there, but just as a short description of the loop from Summit Lake...

My bad

--------------
Balzaccom

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Balzaccom,

I have a question for you. On one of your backpacking trips (as told on your website) you mentioned that you stayed on the east side of a ridge to keep the mosquito's at bay.

Can you expound on this a bit more.

Thanks.

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One more question.

Is there good fishing at Snag Lake?

We will be staying there overnight. Not sure of which side...but I hear the east side is quieter.

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of the lakes in Lassen don't have a self-sustaining trout population, and they are no longer stocking them. I don't know about Snag Lake, but I think it doesn't have a lot of fish.

As for avoiding mosquitoes---it's always a good idea to get up into the breeze and away from the quiet, moist air around lakes.  So we often choose to camp farther from a lake to get out into the open air breezes...and away from most of the mosquitoes

--------------
Balzaccom

Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Higher rock slabs are a good place to set up, IMHO, cleaner and free of foliage loving flying things. Once I adopted a lightweight bucket for grabbing water to avoid prolonged pumping along insect breeding watersides as a habit my camp location requirements openned up a great deal. 2.8 ounces for this one.
http://www.rei.com/product....-liters

Downside is if a shelter is desired it has to be freestanding for the most part (creative support line weaving aside...)
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HighSierraFan,

nice idea about the bucket.

So no one here has fished at Snag Lake, or heard/seen someone catch trout?

I'm gonna go for it. ;)

Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK...just got off the phone with the Lassen Park Rangers.

1) Overnight Permit & Wilderness Permit are needed. Both are free. We can pick them up when we get there.

2) Backpacking stoves are fine, but no campfires.

3) Fishing is decent at Snag Lake. But he said Horseshoe Lake has much better fishing. He recommends taking the route counterclockwise. We head out, and camp at Horseshoe Lake. (For the better fishing). On the way back, we can swing by Snag Lake, and so forth. Makes sense.

4) Fish - Good fishing for brown trout at Horseshoe Lake...and "some" rainbow trout.

5) Mosquito's - not too bad. But crossing some of the meadows, he said we'll see 'em.

6) Bears - Yup...bring bear canisters - OR - line and carabiner's to hang smelly stuff overnight. Bear canisters not mandatory (like Yosemite), but line to hang-up food overnight highly recommended.

OK..just wanted to finish-off my thread.

11 replies since Jun. 10 2013, 12:37 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply LOOKING FOR INFO ON SUMMIT LAKES TRAIL, CA
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions