2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: PCT thru SEKI, Yosemite in mid-late July?, Predictions for trail conditions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
OregonNomad Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 5:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey all,

What do you think the feasibility is of doing a section or two of the PCT in the SEKI and Yosemite areas in mid July?  Was the winter snowpack light, heavy, average?  What's the melt off looking like?

Thanks,

OregonNomad

--------------
Servant of two house cats
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Totally clear (sigh) go for it.

Snowpack was (at best) 50% of normal and river flows look like the season is even more advanced than that would indicate.

Look at the seasonal track for the Merced ehre:
http://ca.water.usgs.gov/webcams/happyisles/

Yikes.

Oh the usual suspect northern slopes will have something, but that's normal and doesn't halt anyone.
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't forget the sunscreen.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And maybe a bit more water carrying capacity given the seasonal streams are going to be down.
 Post Number: 5
OregonNomad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I take it that means water issues for more than just us backpackers?  That stinks.

Oh, and I'm sorry if my question sounded dumb, my search-fu on this topic was weak :D

So, should I plan on going in early July to avoid water shortages, or would that be a bit too soon?  I use a long ice axe as a walking stick and know how to plant the durned thing if I slide down a snowy slope, but I really don't want to hike long stretches of snow.  I could if I had to in an emergency, but it's not my thing.

--------------
Servant of two house cats
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure how to break it to you... but you could go now and likely only have a few shallow snowfields that trekking poles would do for.

The snow above 10k is patchy at best. What's turning people around are the clouds of mosquitos right about 10k, but give that a couple weeks...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You will have a fine trip in July.  Probably some snow at the higher passes still.  But you won't have a lot of snow other than the approaches to the passes.

Enjoy the time in a beautiful part of the world.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 8
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jun. 12 2013, 10:43 pm)
The snow above 10k is patchy at best. What's turning people around are the clouds of mosquitos right about 10k, but give that a couple weeks...

This. I was up in the Caribou Wilderness last week. Bugs were CRAZY this time. Worst ive seen it in years. What snow is left, is clearing fast.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
7 replies since Jun. 12 2013, 5:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply PCT thru SEKI, Yosemite in mid-late July?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions