2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Suggestions for week-long trip around Yosemite< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ThereAreGoats Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 12:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everyone.

I have a tentative plan to do Section I of the PCT (Toulumne Meadows to Sonora Pass) in late July but I'm frankly worried about the logistics of getting from Sonora Pass to a hotel and, eventually, an airport (I'm going solo and am coming from the east coast). My travel window is limited and I'd rather not spend the last day or so ruining the vibe of the trip because I'm stressed about hitching to a bus station, negotiating schedules, finding hotel rooms, etc. I've considered branching off the PCT near Sonora Pass and heading to the Kennedy Meadows pack station to make this a little easier, but that too seems a bit tricky. So a few questions:

Is it possible to easily enter (via bus or shuttle) somewhere in Section H (northbound to Toulumne Meadows) for a week-long hike up to Yosemite? Or would anyone recommend somehow starting at Sonora Pass (getting there via a shuttle or something) and ending up in Yosemite? The idea of ending up there is pretty enticing.

I'd also be ok with scrapping the PCT idea all together if I have to and just doing a Yosemite loop. Is there a week-long trip inside the park that anyone would recommend? It can be fairly strenuous.

I'd HUGELY appreciate any and all suggestions related to any of these ideas!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tuolumne Meadows start at Lyell Canyon or Rafferty Creek TH (via Ireland Lake) south over Donohue Pass around and about the Ritter Banner Range exiting at Mammoth Lakes essentially a section of the John Muir Trail. Amtrak services Merced, which is where you can grab YARTS to Tuolumne Meadows. For the return you can grab YARTS at Mammoth Lakes back to Merced and onward.

Sacramento works as an airport though with a bit more travel even SFO works once BART starts running again.

For other weeks in Yosemite look at a map and or these books:

https://www.wildernesspress.com/product....&page=1

https://www.wildernesspress.com/product....&page=2

Wilderness Press has written and published guides to the Sierra since the sixties: great information. The park's the size of Rhode Island (747,956 acres, 800 miles of trails) with endless possibilities to fit anyone's desires. I'd say grab the overall NG park map and eyeball what looks good to you (or do a search in this section for the other ten thousand times Yosemite routes have been described, :) )

http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/Prod-23....Map.htm

The one thing I'd suggest is don't start in the Valley but rather either along the Tioga Road or Glacier Point. Both places with a number of trailheads and both serviced by busses, ending up in the Valley can be convenient otoh.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for this. Looks like those trail heads are all booked up but I'll look into entering from elsewhere and hooking up with that general route.

I already have a reservation for Glen Aulin so if it's tough to get another for a different trail head, I might just do a loop up to Benson lake, down through Pate Valley, and back along the Toulumne River to Glen Aulin. OR, what might be even better, Glen Aulin to Pate Valley, and then down to Tioga Road, following Yosemite Creek into the valley.

Keep the suggestions coming!

rw
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only 60% of any trailhead is reservable so for a solo there's a lot of options. Especially out of Tuolumne Meadows offered at the Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Office.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm

Pate Valley will be a furnace (Yosemite has already recorded 100 degree days... and they're just about the same elevation) and that climb up to Harden Lake / White Wolf a waterless death march even for it being on a north facing slope. It's nice during snowmelt season but not for the rest of the year.

From Lambert Dome (the Glen Aulin TH) one possibility would be to break south at Glen Aulin and head for the Ten Lakes basin and onward down Yosemite Creek . Yosemite creek will also be low but there'll likely be pockets. Look at the Conservancy webcam for how the creek is flowing (it's what goes over Yosemite falls and there are no big tributaries so the creek is what you're seeing).

http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams/yosemite-falls
 Post Number: 5
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can almost always get a permit for Murphy Creek, which would allow you to hike into Glen Aulin the second day...and then explore from there for as long as you want...

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Jul. 05 2013, 1:49 pm)
You can almost always get a permit for Murphy Creek, which would allow you to hike into Glen Aulin the second day...and then explore from there for as long as you want...

He's already got a permit that allows him access to Glen Aulin.
 Post Number: 7
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Leave the car Yosemite Valley (Curry) - stay over Backpacker CG - (one night only/ no reservations needed.)
Take the morning bus to Mono Meadows and head up Illilouette Canyon as far as you can get (10 miles or so) and next day stay at Lower Ottoway lake (great fishing) and head over Red Peak Pass next.
Edna lake beckons soon after or Red Devil Lake...Triple Peak fork down to Washburn. Merced Lake trail to Moraine Dome waterslide...maybe even bag the Dome.
A good 7 day trip, ending back at your car.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 05 2013, 4:56 pm)

(balzaccom @ Jul. 05 2013, 1:49 pm)

He's already got a permit that allows him access to Glen Aulin.

Sorry---I missed that in his second post.

But there is so much to see and do north of Glen Aulin, I would just head there the first night and then explore.  Each one of the canyons has something worth seeing.  YOu could go up Cold Canyon, Virginia, SPiller, Matterhorn (our favorite, for the views up top) or even Alkali.

There is more to see than you have nights!

--------------
Balzaccom

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So maybe instead of dealing with the heat of Pate Valley, I could do a PCT loop that started at Glen Aulin, but headed north through Matterhorn Canyon, over to Rock Island pass, and then back down, hooking up with the PCT again around Benson Lake and then heading back to GA. I haven't looked yet to see how challenging this would be, but I'm assuming it would be beautiful.

I'm assuming the heat in Pate Valley is pretty oppressive, otherwise that loop would also be great, heading back to GA along the Toulumne.  

I'll also consider those hikes into the Valley. What I should do is just get the maps and guide books and stop hassling all of you nice people for these answers!

Robert
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For an out at White Wolf to go on to Yosemite Creek and down to the Valley the numbers are the numbers. Over 3700 feet of elevation climb starting just about at 4300 feet which is the elevation in Yosemite Valley.... Ending at 8000 at White Wolf.

Yosemite Valley daily temperature reached above 100 degrees Fahrenheit over the recent Fourth of July holiday. There's one seasonal stream along the climb.

For an out up the Tuolumne returning to Glen Aulin and out to Lambert Dome the various falls and rapids would be off their peak but still nice I expect, the Tuolumne gets low but flows reliably all summer.

I wouldnt like the heat but as always YMMV.

The Register Creek bridge is reportedly gone again but the flow would make it fordable and/or one of the far upstream logs would work.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ThereAreGoats @ Jul. 07 2013, 12:07 pm)
So maybe instead of dealing with the heat of Pate Valley, I could do a PCT loop that started at Glen Aulin, but headed north through Matterhorn Canyon, over to Rock Island pass, and then back down, hooking up with the PCT again around Benson Lake and then heading back to GA. I haven't looked yet to see how challenging this would be, but I'm assuming it would be beautiful.

I'm assuming the heat in Pate Valley is pretty oppressive, otherwise that loop would also be great, heading back to GA along the Toulumne.

I'll also consider those hikes into the Valley. What I should do is just get the maps and guide books and stop hassling all of you nice people for these answers!

Robert

That's what I would do.  And I would keep a few options open, in case I want to take life a little easier.

--------------
Balzaccom

Post Number: 12
rsm333 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mammoth Lakes (Agnew Meadows) to Tuolumne Meadows...there will be little problem getting a trail permit for the High Trail or River Trail. You can take the bus back to Mammoth when you finish. The scenery along the High Trail to   Island and Donohue Pass is as good as any in the Sierra
 Post Number: 13
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rsm333 @ Jul. 10 2013, 12:19 pm)
Mammoth Lakes (Agnew Meadows) to Tuolumne Meadows...there will be little problem getting a trail permit for the High Trail or River Trail. You can take the bus back to Mammoth when you finish. The scenery along the High Trail to Island and Donohue Pass is as good as any in the Sierra

My son and I just did Agnew Meadows to Happy Isles in 4 days (via Shadow Lake rather than High or River Trails). We left the car at Curry Village and took the bus back to start. I'm assuming you won't have a car so other airport options are Reno (Eastern Sierra Transit Authority I think it's called runs to there) and Mammoth (even if the city buses don't go there, it's just a few miles walk, but I bet they do). If I ever fly out there to do the JMT, it will be one of those 2 airports.
12 replies since Jul. 05 2013, 12:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Suggestions for week-long trip around Yosemite
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions