2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: SEKI TRIP, WHICH LAKE< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Sequoiabound Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 3:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am planning a trip to out of Crescent meadow (SEKI) through Bear paw Meadow. Once at Bear Paw meadow I was wondering which lake would be more secluded but get the most bang for a one night stay, Tamarack or Hamilton? I tried a search didn't see any posts on Tamarack.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tamarack, being at a dead end, is less visited by far than the truly wonderful Hamilton Lakes which being on the High Sierra Trail and a natural break point before tackling the climb up to Kaweah Gap sees a lot more people. Though in the shoulder seasons they can be quite peaceful, that's a long out and back when the Gap is closed by snow and avalanche danger.

Dead ends in general can be great niches, a favorite of mine has long been Crystal Lake out of Mineral King. Another wonderful alpine bowl without an "exit", ( though the col does go as does the saddle over to Monarch Lake, with Monarch getting the traffic as it does have an on trail exit,  but there's no trail out from Crystal).

Hope Merhten a creek has lots of water for you, that's  a pretty falls. Hamilton Creek falls where Galen Rowell took his classic shot of Angel Wings may be low. That's been a rich area for photographers: Ansel Adams shot a great image up at Precipice Lake.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Ansel Adams image:

Lake Precipice, 'Frozen Lake and Cliffs', Kaweah Gap, Sierra Nevada, 1932

http://www.christies.com/lotfind....ls.aspx
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you so much for your post. I think I will opt for the seclusion of Tamarack lake. I am concerned about water being scarce since it was such a dry winter. No matter what I'm sure it will be an awesome trip.
 Post Number: 5
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tamarack is definitely off the beaten path of the packers on the High Trail.  My guess is that you will only see the most hard core curious there.

Another day hike is Elizabeth Pass.  The last few hundred feet didn't have a trail you just point up hill toward the pass.  Wow view looking down on a future trip for you and better pictures of the area.  Again, you probably won't see many on that trail either.

I doubt you will have water problems.  Merhten and Dove Creeks should be running this year even with the low snow accumulation.  Bear Paw will have water, certainly.  

Too bad you don't have enough time to get up to Hamilton as well.  It will have others there but the scenery is fantastic.

Best of luck getting a permit.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Permit is secured, and have a camp site out of Lodge Pole for Wednesday the 17th. This will allow me to hit the trail good and early on Thursday. I made my first backpacking trip this year up to Alta Meadow May 26th. It was absolutely beautiful, wish I would have discovered my love for hiking and back packing when I was younger.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bearpaw Meadow is a B&B (talk about seclusion) and has a full stocked bar with a heart stopping view of a bit of what you will see en route to Tamarack Lake (et al).

There used to be a mountain of wood left over from a big wind that toppled miles of large trees (LARGE!). We walked east to west for several days through the downed forests of the previous winter.  Last chance for an open fire if still allowed.

If you have the chance/time/energy you might see if you can get up to Lion Lake.  Just a tedious route finding adventure.  Be sure to drop bread crumbs on the way up so you can find a similar way down.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I knew they had the high sierra camp up there, and figured that night would have allot of folks about. I did not know they had a full bar there. Are the bar and food services open to all hikers, or just those with reservations at the camp? looking at the high sierra camp site for bear paw meadow seemed very vague to me. If I can get a cold beer that would be a plus but surly not a necessity.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 1:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's their brochure:
http://www.visitsequoia.com/img/Bearpaw_High_Sierra_Camp.pdf

And their website:
http://www.visitsequoia.com/bearpaw.aspx
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 1:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

They didn't blink when selling me a beer.  Cash only then.  

I suspect meals would have to be scheduled well in advance.  Everything there gets there by foot or hoof.  Price$ are adju$ted accordingly.

--------------
9 replies since Jul. 06 2013, 3:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply SEKI TRIP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions