2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yosemite Day Hikes - Late September/Early October, Need to fill 2 days< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MicStaff Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:39 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Instead of looking through a guidebook to help me out I figured I would put the questions up here. I am doing a trip to Yosemite in Late September/Early October. The first day I have planned is Half Dome (already reserved our permits) the final day we are driving up and doing North Dome. I need to fill two more days with hikes. Being so late in the season (we wanted to avoid crowds) the waterfalls will be a trickle or not flowing at all. I was looking at 4-mile/Panorama, Pohono Trail (maybe even parts to make it easier for getting to a from the trailhead), Yosemite Falls. We don't really want to go to far from the Valley/Glacier Point too much outside of North Dome. Any suggestions would be great.
Cheers
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Restricting yourself to about 5% of the entire park makes recommendations difficult.

I guess there's the Valley Floor trails, nice and quiet (once away from the popular Eastern end) routes along the base of the cliffs.

OTOH, A route I like for North Dome involves going up Snow Creek and down Yosemite Falls trail, something like 16 miles but not bad for a day hike.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should probably correct myself, we will have a car but most likely only want to start from the Valley or GP Road. We will do North Dome the day we head out starting from Tioga road. If you recommend a route starting from Snow Creek I would be interested in that and then the final day we look for something else.

The person I'm going with just doesn't want to drive hours to get to a trailhead and with the lack of shuttle up towards Tioga our options become very limited. Really wish we had more time in the park to explore more

I thought about doing a loop for Sentinel Dome & Taft point then driving and doing an out and back to Dewey, Crocker & Stanford.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snow Creek and Yosemite Falls are both serviced by the valley shuttles so doing that "one way" and catching North Dome that way is accessible.

Just about 5 miles further along the Tioga Road from where you're thinking, I guess, to start for North Dome is a trailhead for an out and back to May Lake and Mt. Hoffman. Nice high country short trip.
 Post Number: 5
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't overlook the trails into the meadows in Yosemite Valley.  They don't want you to trample the grass...but if you stay on the trails, you can find real solitude in the middle of the Valley

In fact, we have a whole list of dayhikes in Yosemite on our website.

I'll second the recommendation for May Lake/Mt Hoffman...

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm always amazed (and, frankly, grateful) at the complete elimination of people once I get west of the Lower Yosemite Falls area, heck before they upgraded the route there was always a complete absence of people at the Muir Bench.....
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the recommendations....Just out of curiosity why do you prefer to to the North Dome route via Snow Creek to Yosemite Falls rather the other way around?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The heavy day hiker traffic is to the tourist icon,  Yosemite Falls, so Snow Creek is less crowded in the morning when people are all heading up the falls trail. Then by the time you get to the brink of Upper Yosemite Falls its much later in the day or early evening and the day hiker crowd has largely gone back down ahead of you, so again there's fewer people.
7 replies since Jul. 15 2013, 10:39 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yosemite Day Hikes - Late September/Early October
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions