2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help w/ YARTS logistics after north Yosemite hike, How to end up in Valley to catch YARTS?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ThereAreGoats Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 6:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm doing a 5-day (ideally!) loop from Toulumne Meadows --> Benson Lake --> Burro Pass --> Matterhorn Canyon -->Toulumne  and am all set in terms of camping the day before and after the trip. The problem is that I have an extra day/night in the park, have no reservations at another campground (or a car), and need to be able to catch the earliest YARTS bus in the Valley back to Merced on my last day.

(So to spell it out: returning from loop and camping at backpacker's camp in Toulumne on 7.28 but need to catch YARTS the morning of 7.30, so I need to camp near the Valley on 7.29)

What's my best bet? I'm almost positive I won't be able to secure a spot at Camp 4 on 7.29 because I won't be able to get there in time from Toulumne. One thought was that I'd hike to the backpacker's campground near Little Yosemite Valley and hike to the bus early in the morning, but the involved trail heads are all booked.

Should I try to find a campground reservation (might this be possible for a solo hiker?)? Or am I not thinking of a better option?

Thanks a bunch,
Robert
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your wilderness permit is mainly (perhaps only) concerned about your start date and the quota for that start date and trailhead.

So why not just change your "out" to Happy Isles (via Sunrise trail and lakes) or Snow Creek (past Polly Dome Lakes) and pop out the day before you need to leave and spend that last night in the Yosemite valley backpacker's campground?

OTOH YARTS does pass through the Meadows from Mammoth on it's way to the Valley connection to Merced, have you double checked the schedule to see if that works? Then you could just dawdle a day extra before exiting at Tuolumne, spend the night in the Tuolumne backpacker's campground and go.
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 3:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not catch the YARTS or hiker bus to the starting point instead and leave the car in the valley?

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
ThereAreGoats Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not catch the YARTS or hiker bus to the starting point instead and leave the car in the valley?

Don't have a car or else I certainly would!

As for changing my "out" location on my permit, I guess I have a guilty conscience. I don't know how often they check these things, and I need the out date for Toulumne so I can definitely camp at the backpacker's camp there the night after my big hike. I suppose they might not check these things and I could get away with changing my out to Snow Creek or something, staying in Toulumne Meadlows the night after the hike and then near the Valley the next night.

But does anyone know how strictly they enforce these things?

Robert
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not a question of enforcement: you'd just tell the issuing ranger you want to exit at a different place. As there's no quota on exits, just entry, they won't care. Neither would they care if you extended (or contracted for that matter) your planned duration when you came in to get the permit, adding an extra night for your backcountry travel south and down to the Valley via one of the routes I suggested, or another.

You know you haven't gotten your permit yet don't you? What you got via email or snail mail was a wilderness permit reservation receipt which STILL requires you show up at a Wilderness Permit issuing office for a review of backcountry regulations and the issuance of the actual Wilderness Permit. That allows for a regulations review and for any trip cancellations and no-shows to be used by anyone who's walked up wanting a last minute permit. So making a simple change like an exit TH and or a date of exit change is a simple thing before they print out the actual permit for you at the counter.

"Even with a reservation, you, or another member of your hiking group, must pick up the wilderness permit at any permit station during business hours the day of, or the day before, your hike. Reserved permits are held until 10 am on the day of your trip. If you will arrive later than 10 am on the day of your trip, please call us to hold your permit for a late arrival: 209/372-0308 (this number is for cancellations and late arrivals only). Otherwise, your permit reservation will be canceled. Permits held for late arrival still must be picked up at a permit station during business hours. (You can check current hours for permit stations at the bottom of the wilderness conditions update.)"

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wpres.htm

No, staying in Tuolumne' backpackers campground and then the next night trying to stay in Yosemite valley's backpacker's would violate what the backpackers campground is for and isn't what I was suggesting, which was, horrors spending an extra night in the Yosemite Backcountry so you'd be exiting the wilderness in Yosemite Valley and not up in Tuolumne Meadows. And that way completely legitimately be eligible to spend that first night after your permit in the Valley backpacker's campground.

Just on your way "out" when you got to Glen Aulin instead of proceeding back to Lembert Dome on a repeat of your entry you'd head south past Polly Dome Lakes etc. for Sunrise, May Lake etc. for Snow Creek, and continue on your route of choice to the Valley.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI, if you read the Compendium (it's on the website in pdf) people who arrive in the park by bus, bike or foot are entitled to stay in the backpacker campgrounds - whether they have a permit or not. So staying in TM bpacker campsite then riding a bus to the valley floor and staying in the valley bpacker camp would not be violating regulations.

From page 18: "Users arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus may stay in each backpacker camp for a limit of one night."

Of course, staff in Yosemite are notorious for not knowing what's in black and white, so I'd take a printout of the pertinent page with me just in case.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I stand corrected.

But I'd still vote for an extra night in the backcountry!

:)
 Post Number: 8
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 17 2013, 9:39 pm)
I stand corrected.

HSF,

Isn't there a free shuttle bus that goes between TM and the valley, although on a very reduced schedule?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 8:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(John @ Jul. 19 2013, 6:24 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 17 2013, 9:39 pm)
I stand corrected.

HSF,

Isn't there a free shuttle bus that goes between TM and the valley, although on a very reduced schedule?

Never has been, likely never will be. There is the hiker bus and YARTS. YARTS will do weekends until the pass closes after services shut down in TM. Hiker bus requires reservations and costs money, and doesn't run past Sept 15 as I recall.

Free shuttles are all local to their area - Tioga shuttle runs between the east gate and Olmstead Point. Valley shuttle runs around the valley. There is a Mariposa Grove shuttle from Wawona and a shuttle from Wawona to the valley. There is a tour bus ($$$) to Glacier Point. Most of these shut down, the valley shuttle goes on a more abbreviated schedule.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing free. The most frequent are the YARTS busses from Mammoth Lakes that pass through the meadows a couple of times a day in the peak season.

http://www.yarts.com/schedul....-28.pdf

The DNC hikers/tour bus is a bit problematic as iirc they're more focused on reserving space from the Valley so they don't  guarantee there will be space for the return to the valley for people wishing to board at the Tuolumne Meadows store. Best to check with the concessionaire if YARTS doesn't fit.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/tuolumne-meadows-tour.aspx

Overall look:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/publictransportation.htm
9 replies since Jul. 16 2013, 6:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help w/ YARTS logistics after north Yosemite hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions