2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What lakes to camp at while at Lassen?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mavrick Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 7:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I are planning a 4 day backpacking trip through the eastern part of Lassen and was hoping I could get some advice on the best places to camp. We'll be spending two nights in the Twin Lakes/Rainbow lake area and the last night in the Cluster lakes. So what lakes are the best for camping at those two spots?

Thanks in advance.
Eric
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are leaving from Summit Lake, this is a fairly short hike.  In fact, we've done the whole loop as a ten-mile day hike.  

With that in mind, and the chance that there may be others hiking this route during the day, I would choose Rainbow and one of the two more northerly Cluster Lakes to camp--only because you will have a bit more privacy there.

Where's the third night?  Snag Lake?

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info.

With an afternoon start on day 1, we would head to Rainbow Lake for the first night. The next day we would dayhike to Cinder Cone before returning to Rainbow Lake for night 2. Then hike to Cluster Lakes for night 3 and spend the day exploring around there. Day 4 we would hike out.

We'll also be staying at Summit campground for  couple of nights and plan on hitting up Lassen Peak, Brokeoff Mountain and Bumpass Hell.

Another thing I was wondering is how bad the damage was up there from last years fire? Was it widespread enough that we would we be spending the whole time in a burnt out wasteland while in the Cluster Lakes region?
 Post Number: 4
N2Th3Stars Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 7:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I camped Lassen last weekend, I stayed around Juniper Lake.  Everything looked great in that area.  

If you haven't been already, Boiling Springs Lake is pretty interesting.. though it is a bit stinky lol
 Post Number: 5
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 8:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And Cinder Cone is a classic hike---one step back for every two steps forward!

Our favorite hikes in Lassen are the loop you are hiking, plus Broke-Off, and the hike down from Shadow Lake and Paradise Meadow to the Desolated Area

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From what I read, the fire was mainly in the northern part of the park, so it wouldn't have reached down to Juniper Lake. I'll try giving the park a call and see if the can give me a good idea on what to expect around the Cluster Lakes. I just don't want to spend the time up there if it is completely burned out.
 Post Number: 7
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My son and I went to Snag Lake and Cinder Cone last summer. As I recall the burned area started near the east side of Lower Twin and pretty much followed along the trail to Snag. I don't recall anywhere good to camp at Rainbow near the trail at least. Perhaps on the other side of the lake? Snag was nice despite the burn. The little peninsula on the west side has several good sites. There were a few spots near the PCT at Lower Twin you could camp.

You may find our trip report useful. I know I pointed out likely campsite areas along the lakes we passed.
6 replies since Jul. 29 2013, 7:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What lakes to camp at while at Lassen?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions