2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best View in the Southwest, What are the best views in your region?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kherrel1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 7:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In our September 2013 issue, we asked guidebook writers, BACKPACKER field scouts, landscape photographers, and other local experts nationwide to rule on the sweetest backcountry vista in their corner of the union. The result? Fifty unforgettable views and a Top 10 list that will fill memory cards. We stand behind our choices, but no doubt you'll have your own favorites in your region. Think we got it wrong? Let us know by posting your own choice here (ideally with a photo)!

Our picks:

California
Inspiration Point, Anacapa Island, Channel Islands NP
34.013063, -119.374148
Trip ID www.backpacker.com/hikes/312304

Clouds Rest, Yosemite NP
37.767594, -119.489365
Trip ID www.backpacker.com/hikes/283162

Hawaii
Ko’olau Gap,
Haleakala NP
20.754830, -156.213312

(Photo by Eli Boschetto)

Nevada
Wheeler Peak, Great Basin NP
38.985667, -114.313688

New Mexico
Chimney Rock, Ghost Ranch Education & Retreat Center
36.338256, -106.483828

Texas
Guadalupe Peak, Guada-lupe Mountains NP
31.891193, -104.861265
Trip ID www.backpacker.com/hikes/1089414

- Posted by BP.com staff
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course you got it wrong, but nice job generating involvement, discussion, and interest in getting out to see those great views.

I stand by my assertion in the previous post that California has too many to choose (the view from my office window is as good as Anacapa), and in Texas it's the view off the cliff by SE3 camp site in the Chisos.
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's see....

Alta Peak
Mt Brewer
Black Giant

Of course, publicizing those would lead to hordes of folks half killing themselves to get to them, because getting there is harder than Clouds Rest by far, so it's probably best to put in the ones that are easier.

Tho by that standard we would all be in toejam's office...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't seen the magazine article so don't know what choices were made but will make a point of taking a look.  For any choice much will likely depend on the time of year, time of day, conditions, and weather. "Sweetest backcountry vista" in typical vague fashion such best of articles are usually posed as simply doesn't focus the question enough so would hope the actual article sizes that up a bit more. My two cents would tend to qualify the choices into two categories.  One the best views at the best times of day, during the best season, one could expect on say at least 30% of the days.   And the other the best views one might experience during best light and conditions at least once or twice each season.   Generally many photographers find scenic choices with best of type articles made by magazines rather mediocre.

Given the usual mindset of ordinary people, suspect many choices will be views from mountain tops however rarely are views from mountain tops particularly aesthetic despite blubberings by legions of climbers and peak baggers.  That is one reason why one rarely sees large landscape prints of views from peaks tops in any serious art galleries.  Typical views from mountain tops do allow grand vistas to broad angles of distant features.  Many features end up looking like ants.   Quite fascinating and interesting if one has binoculars and topo maps to survey what one is looking at.  And  miles of atmosphere dulls distant objects with a blue haze due to Rayleigh scattering.  And here in the USA unless one is atop such places during clear weather after a storm cleans the skies, one is likely to be looking out in the distance to man's smoggy dirty contribution to our atmosphere.   Far better visually when looking up at a peak from say a beautiful meadow surrounded small alpine lake with dainty colorful wildflowers and picturesque trees gracing a receding middle ground.

My own inputs given my photographic orientation would tend to be views that include both a foreground, middle ground, and background, with the background in this case grand.  However in many cases the foreground might be eliminated as long as a middle ground provides elements sized in ways our human visual system can readily relate to.  As an example of such a structured vista:

The California Inspiration Point Channel Island choice is a good one however the state has an abundance of strong competition and one could start with something like world class icon Tunnel View in Yosmite Valley.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The state of California has more amazing views than one can see in a lifetime...

Here's one from my last backpacking trip - sun setting and setting ablaze the huge and ancient "Wally" Limber Pine Tree on the flanks of Mt. Baden-Powell, Mt. Baldy, Pine and Dawson Peaks in the distance with the Super Moon rising

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 6
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After a 16 mile hike, the view up at Valhalla is probably as good an example of an awe inspiring scene as you might see.  It would take a good photographer with a large format camera and some lucky lighting to do it justice.  Its a couple miles up the High Sierra Trail from Bearpaw Meadow in Sequoia.

That a trial has been carved up to Kaweah Gap is one those occasional "WOWs!"

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pictures Dave and Tarol.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did thumb through the issue at a store, partially reading the text.    Lumping 50 states together in one brief article doesn't do the subject justice and instead likely diluted reader attention and few likely spent much time considering more than a few choices.  If it had been done a few states at a time regionally, or just one state for the larger ones, then there might have been room for several images of those locations selected providing a reasonable case for a selection instead of just mostly small single images for each state with trivial description.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 9
hikerchick395 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMHO...and sorry...you don't usually backpack to it...the greatest view is from Glacier Point in Yosemite     :)

--------------
"life's like an hourglass, glued to the table"--Anna Nalick, Breathe
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Hikerchick.  Good to see you back posting.  Missed your annual series of trail head openings in the spring.  One of these weekends hope to catch you in Bishop too.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Aug. 08 2013, 4:36 pm)
After a 16 mile hike, the view up at Valhalla is probably as good an example of an awe inspiring scene as you might see.  It would take a good photographer with a large format camera and some lucky lighting to do it justice.  Its a couple miles up the High Sierra Trail from Bearpaw Meadow in Sequoia.

That a trial has been carved up to Kaweah Gap is one those occasional "WOWs!"

All the trails in that park are a WOW.

Elizabeth Pass will kick your ....

So will Black Rock Pass.

The off trail parts - Tablelands, for example - are full of exemplary views as well. Any of the places at the ends of trails in Mineral King, all WOW.

Pictures just don't do it. You gotta be there.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 12
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm generally reluctant to claim something as "Best",
but the view from highway 12 near Escalante, UT is definitely worthy of a mention.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess the view should be in a 'CATEGORY'

For consideration for the "Best View from a Pit Toilet" category is, with the three sided hip high view-barrier to your back, as you attend your place and gaze up at a magnificent thundering last gasp of Rock Creek as it plunges down a waterfall (from 3000' above you) near the Kern Hot Springs.

You place your hat on a pole to indicate the facility is occupied.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.47745,-118.40065&z=15&t=T

--------------
 Post Number: 14
GaryP4321 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hear that the JMT is the best in the West.
 Post Number: 15
Natejitsu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 14 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some great NM views that require little to no hiking: Sandia Crest, White Sands NM, La Junta Point at the Rio Grande Del Norte NM (pictured).

Post Number: 16
alisaoutdoors Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2014, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best view I have ever taken in was from the top of Mount Ritter in Ansel Adams Wilderness. The only place I have ever stood in the Sierras that I could look one way and see Half Dome and then look the other way and see the top of Mount Whitney. Jaw dropping and was one hell of a climb. Worth every fall, scratch and tears though for those views.

--------------
"Not all who wander are Lost."
-- JR Tolkien
 Post Number: 17
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2014, 3:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(alisaoutdoors @ Jan. 20 2014, 7:53 pm)
The best view I have ever taken in was from the top of Mount Ritter in Ansel Adams Wilderness. The only place I have ever stood in the Sierras that I could look one way and see Half Dome and then look the other way and see the top of Mount Whitney. Jaw dropping and was one hell of a climb. Worth every fall, scratch and tears though for those views.

Years ago, I hiked up to 9, 800 foot Pincushion Peak at N37.4722°   W119.1085° (I didn't bring a camera, but what impressed me about it was the full 360° view, which included into the Ansel Adams Wilderness, Yosemite and much more. I think that was the best view from any mountain  top I have been to, and I have been to many.

And this one isn't even famous.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 18
alisaoutdoors Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Jan. 21 2014, 3:12 am)
Years ago, I hiked up to 9, 800 foot Pincushion Peak at N37.4722°   W119.1085° (I didn't bring a camera, but what impressed me about it was the full 360° view, which included into the Ansel Adams Wilderness, Yosemite and much more. I think that was the best view from any mountain  top I have been to, and I have been to many.

And this one isn't even famous.

-Don-  SSF, CA

I need to check that out! How do I access that peak? I live in Mammoth Lakes. Sounds pretty incredible. I have done a lot of hiking in this area and it is always jawdropping. Always looking out for the next adventure! Sounds awesome!

--------------
"Not all who wander are Lost."
-- JR Tolkien
 Post Number: 19
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(alisaoutdoors @ Jan. 26 2014, 10:03 am)
I need to check that out! How do I access that peak? I live in Mammoth Lakes. Sounds pretty incredible. I have done a lot of hiking in this area and it is always jawdropping. Always looking out for the next adventure! Sounds awesome!

Sorry, I seemed to have made a mistake. But the mistake is good news, now that I see the correct location.

This was many years ago and now that I look at my topo map after you asked where from, I don't think it was Pincushion Peak after all,  but an unnamed mountain peak with a 6,300 foot elevation just to the west of unpaved road 6558, which is down less than a quarter mile down an unpaved road to the south of FR 81 (Minarets Road), with a parking area.

I think this was it because it was very easy to get to  and a fairly short hike from the car (Pinchusion Peak looks way too difficult to get to, so I now don't think that was it). I can see where we parked at W37.428 W119.296 and hiked up the mountain from the northeast side. The Mountain top is at N37.4247  W119.2994.

So please take a hike up there and let me know if that was it! It sure looks right on my map. If it's the best 360 degree view you ever saw in your life, you will know that was it. Even though it is only around 300 feet up in elevation from the parking area.

Do you have a decent Topo computer map?  I am using Delorme Topo USA 8.0 right now.

And I really think I have it correct now, as all the roads and area makes sense based on what I now remember.

The fact that this peak has no name is what messed me up, but it's not hard to get to at all.

BTW, this peak is on the opposite of Minarets Road from Jackass Rock and about the same distance  on the south side of the road.

IOW, Jackass Rock is about 2000 feet north of Minarets Road and this best view unnamed peak is about 2,000 feet south of Minarets Road (or 4,000 feet south of JackAss Rock), with the unpaved parking area just a little to the north east of the unnamed peak.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
18 replies since Jul. 30 2013, 7:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best View in the Southwest
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions