2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: TR Bloody Canyon and Mono Pass, Failing to find a way around the smoke..< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 11:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're back from a short trip in the Ansel Adams Wilderness east of Yosemite, where we started in sparkling clean air, and were quickly introduced to the smoke from the Rim Fire.  This is a steep hike up out of Walker Lake...but there are some great views on the way up, and a nice creek to follow.  We stopped at Lower Sardine Lake because we found a nice campsite on the West shore...and we weren't sure there were going to be any better ones at Upper Sardine.  And it was lovely.  

Here's a shot of what it looked like before the smoke arrived:  

And here is what it looked like a few hours later...when the smoke from the Rim Fire blew in on a westerly gale.

The next day we decided to day hike up to Mono Pass, where we were tourists through the old mines...

And then we headed home a bit early, thinking that it would be good to breathe some clean air...but the trip was still a wonderful adventure.  Here is a link to the full photo set:

https://picasaweb.google.com/balzacc....noPass#

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doesn't look too bad. Reno was worse, getting the smoke from a couple of fires at once. Was smokey there even before the Rim Fire because of the Forest Hill fire.

-Don-  SF, CA

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No doubt that Reno was bad.  Sonora Pass on the way over was brutal, but not nearly so bad on the way back.

On the other hand, hiking at over 10,000 feet and trying to breathe in that smoke wasn't much fun.

--------------
Balzaccom

Post Number: 4
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 1:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoyed your photos, Balzaccom. I had wondered for a long time what the country looked like in that area, and it's awesome.

Too bad about the smoke you had for a while. Like Don, I live in Reno and we have been smothered in smoke off and on for 3 weeks. I escaped the smoke the weekend before last and went to Yosemite for 3 days of crystal clear air. I had originally planned on the Desolation Wilderness near Tahoe, but it was choked in smoke. I checked Yosemite web cams and satellite weather maps that show smoke, and  Yosemite looked like the place to be.

---George
 Post Number: 5
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its too bad that the smoke ruined your trip. Lets hope that this fall will make up for the miserable last half of the summer, hiking wise.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It didn't ruin the trip---as I said, it was still a great adventure.  But if the air had been clearer/cleaner we might have stayed another day or two,and explored even more...

--------------
Balzaccom

5 replies since Sep. 02 2013, 11:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply TR Bloody Canyon and Mono Pass
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions