2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grand Canyon Food Storage Containers?, What Type< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 2:12 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am looking at the requirements for B'pking in the Grand Canyon.  One of the requirements is a food storage container.  Can anyone give me any insight to what kind of container is referred to?

On multi-day trips in the canyon, what did you use?

Is an Ursack acceptable?

--------------
Everything is in Walking Distance
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You mentioned a R2R on the other forum.  The corridor campgrounds (Bright Angel, Cottonwood, Indian Garden) all have ammo cans in the sites, so you don't need to bring your own container.

Elsewhere, your biggest issue are the mice.  There are also some ravens and ringtails but not as consistently.

I use the metal mesh bags, like Outsaks.  Ursacks are acceptable and I know hikers who use them.  Just make sure you can cinch it down well; mice are great at getting through tiny openings.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 3
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used a canister, but I wasn't on the corridor trails, and it doubled as a seat.  Mice & squirrels are the biggest concern.
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes the provided metal boxes get full if many are at the campground or do not latch.  Our group brought Ursacks which can be tied a special way to prevent rodents from getting in through the top.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do they require or recommend? If they require I'd expect they'd give examples of what would fill the requirement (California Sierra agencies do) if it's a recommendation then get something, as above, that will resist rodents.

http://www.nps.gov/grca....age.pdf

A description of choices is at the bottom of the page.

"Animal-Proof Storage Containers
Metal ammunition cases are provided at every campsite at Indian Garden, Bright Angel, and Cottonwood campgrounds. Their use is mandatory where they are available.
Metal cookie tins, bear canisters, and cooking pots with lockable lids work well.
Interlocking wire mesh bags. These are available at Canyon Village Marketplace on the South Rim for rent or purchase. They are also available through the Grand Canyon Association, at the Backcountry Information Center, and other commercial outlets"
 Post Number: 6
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't seen issues (mice) but I'm typically in the canyon mid-winter (total of 34 trips). If ammo cans are present I use them but I'm often on the East Tonto (undesignated) and haven't had any problems.

There are credible reports of ravens opening pack zippers.
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Sep. 19 2013, 5:58 pm)

I went to a talk on ravens (YNP) and the speaker said many researchers believe ravens to be as intelligent as or even more so than chimpanzees. They are not only capable of opening zippers, they'll cooperate to open buckles and even latches.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't turn my back on them when they are near. Haven't had any real trouble but the downside could be considerable.   :D  Eerie them typically coming in in pairs, sizing you up. I do find myself wondering if one is setting me up for the other to dash in, grab something.
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Sep. 19 2013, 7:58 pm)
I haven't seen issues (mice) but I'm typically in the canyon mid-winter (total of 34 trips). If ammo cans are present I use them but I'm often on the East Tonto (undesignated) and haven't had any problems.

At Phantom Ranch, I watched ringtails unzip every zipper on Mrs. big_load's pack and completely empty it, one item at a time, looking for food.  (They scored a candy bar from the site next to us).

Our food was in the ammo cans.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

One more to add to the legendary stories of Phantom Ranch. This almost sounds like one of Sjors' stories (a Dutch name,  a ranger/volunteer who has been there 20 some years). He has some great canyon stories. Better than the SAR epics though is he taught me much of what I know about canyon rain pockets.
9 replies since Sep. 19 2013, 2:12 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Grand Canyon Food Storage Containers?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions