2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Jushua Tree Nov23rd - Dec 1st< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Wiley Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 1:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi friend. I just looked through the backcountry trail maps of Jushua tree and couldn't find any water sources along the trail. Anyone have been there before?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's because there are no water sources in the park.  Even if you happen to find water there, you cannot take it.  You are supposed to leave it for the wildlife.  

You can cache water in the park, but you have to clear it with the rangers first.  You can also find water at some of the developed campgrounds like Blackrock.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are water sources, but they're for wildlife.  Carry or cache your water.  I've done several overnighters in Joshua Tree and there are some fantastic places to visit.  I'd also be prepared to navigate off trail and over rough terrain. Have fun :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's an outline of backpacking issues in the park.

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm
 Post Number: 5
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wiley, I was looking at the nps web site, and they have some road closures from flooding.  Make sure you take that into consideration.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks y'all for the advice!!! I have been wondering if I didn't have a car, how did I really cache the water I need along the trail?  I mean "If I can’t carry enough water during my trip, how can I carry enough to go hide it?".
 Post Number: 7
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You've clearly chosen the wrong destination. Find a place in the lower mountains that has flowing creeks not too far from the paved roads. There are plenty of them in Southern California. Think national forests and wilderness areas, rather than national parks.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I did choose the wrong destination. So are there any great national forests with plentiful water, nice trails and warm climate there?
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The question might better be where can you get to via public transportation. A lot of the Sierra is reachable by bus and train.
Bus Connections out of Bakersfield which is reachable from L A. Heck AMTRAK will take you to Yosemite Valley!

Easter Sierra Transit runs down the Owens Valley. Many land management agency websites list public transportation options. Look at AMTRAK routes and see where they'd take you? This time of year the coast starts to be viable.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps....%20Home

Ojai:
http://www.ojaivisitors.com/transportation.aspx

A lot depends on where you're starting from. Bet busses run a lot of local places. Though SoCal mountains are starting to cool off...
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 23 2013, 12:29 am)
The question might better be where can you get to via public transportation. A lot of the Sierra is reachable by bus and train.
Bus Connections out of Bakersfield which is reachable from L A. Heck AMTRAK will take you to Yosemite Valley!

Easter Sierra Transit runs down the Owens Valley. Many land management agency websites list public transportation options. Look at AMTRAK routes and see where they'd take you? This time of year the coast starts to be viable.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps....%20Home

Ojai:
http://www.ojaivisitors.com/transportation.aspx

A lot depends on where you're starting from. Bet busses run a lot of local places. Though SoCal mountains are starting to cool off...

Thanks High_Sierra_Fan. You have been of so much help to me!!!  I am currently contacting the ranger in the Los Padres  National Forest about transportation there.
 Post Number: 11
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 4:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wiley @ Sep. 26 2013, 10:19 pm)
I am currently contacting the ranger in the Los Padres  National Forest about transportation there.

Now you're talking. You can probably get close enough to hitch a ride anyway.

Lots of good winter backpacking in the Los Padres. Let us know if you need more specific info.
10 replies since Sep. 19 2013, 1:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Jushua Tree Nov23rd - Dec 1st
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions