2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Whitney as a Dayhike, length, time?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dropdeded Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 9:48 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for first, recent weather hit the mountain affecting the trail? Been up on Whitney (didn't summit) and saw lots of folks doing it as a "day hike". Like to hear from anyone that has done that. Total trail length, time it took etc...

Thanks, Ed

--------------
The dude abides..
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All this info is readily available on the Inyo NF page, plus the Whitney Forums.

It'll take allllllllll day - 22 miles round trip with tons of gain, and this is the wrong time of year to do it if you're not prepared for weather. At any time the high country can get lightning and snow, and the chances of that increase radically in October - December. Most day hikers start before sunup and many get back late evening - as the days get shorter you can expect to be out in the dark for a good part of the hike.

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

See forums/ ask at:
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FAR nicer as an overnighter.

Even better as an exit route with a start at another nearby TH. That country is far too nice to just jog through in a haze of knee pain and exhaustion.
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 25 2013, 9:11 am)
FAR nicer as an overnighter.

Even better as an exit route with a start at another nearby TH. That country is far too nice to just jog through in a haze of knee pain and exhaustion.

I would agree with this.

I have been up Mt. Whitney a few times over the years.  I always did over-nighters.  It seemed like the majority of the day hikers I've seen were pretty miserable by the end of the trail.

I guess the altitude, the 22 miles, and the 6000' of elevation gain and loss is just too much of a good thing for many day hikers.  And I would include myself in that group.
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I'm doing 14-16 miles this weekend, with about 4000 feet of gain and a bunch of cross country scree and talus - I don't expect to be in pain at the end - but I tend to hike 6 - 30 miles per weekend. I have some good shoes that work and some good strong legs, and I know from long experience that the elevation of 11,000 feet is not going to do more than make me a bit more winded than usual.

I'm going with folks who routinely day hike 20 - 30 miles per day. I expect I won't be able to keep up with them unless they slow down.... They went to Langley at a leisurely pace not so long ago and had sunlight to spare.

But unlike them, I'd do Whitney in two days. My buddies probably wouldn't blink at it - unless you're in that category of "crazy day hiker/peak bagger", Whitney is a lot to bite off in a single day.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can you do a fast walk of 22 miles 'on the flat'?  Then at the end of it, turn around and see how far you can make it back.  That extra bit could represent the altitude differential and the extra pounding things below your belly button take on the 11 mile down hill.  Leave very very early.

You will need a lot of water and extra batteries in your pocket for a head lamp

I agree with HSF, that is way to pretty an area to toss off in one day.  BUT, if it is on your 'bucket list' of things to do, and you feel capable and well prepared, Go for it.  It is as good a personal goal as most people will get.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
6 replies since Sep. 25 2013, 9:48 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Whitney as a Dayhike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions