2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Need a Yosemite alternative in case of shutdown, HELP!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
glowingrock Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 12:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some friends and I are scheduled to fly into Fresno on October 12th for a week long backpacking trip to Yosemite.  The plan includes starting at Happy Isles, going to Half Dome, Cloud's Rest, and ultimately Mt. Conness via Young Lakes and then backtracking to the starting point.  However, with the government shutdown looming,  :(  I need some suggestions for an alternate trip in case all the federal land out there is closed.  Any suggestions?  Are there any really nice and at least moderately challenging backpacking trips within a 5 hour drive of Fresno that are not on federal land or on federal land that should still be accessable?  Thanks!

--------------
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out what the national forests will be doing, there's a lot of THs on the Owens Valley side to choose from. Inyo NF for northern things.

Also there's the Ansel Adams Wilderness (Sierra NF) out from Bass lake: perhaps the Granite Creek TH for a couple of nice loops into the southern most part of Yosemite.... Ginny Clark has a fun guide to that area.

Even were 120 through the park to be closed (and that's unclear) there'd be SR 108 to cross a bit further north. And Beasore Road is unlikely to be gated....

Head to Isberg Pass, along the High Trail with a nice detour towards Mt. lyell, then along down to Merced Lake and either back towards Red Peak pass and out Chiquito or down to LYV and out via the Illilouette drainage and over Chiquito back to the start. More or less the type of country you'd been planning on. While something east side would be far more alpine which given the shoulder season's chance for a big storm might not be the wisest....There's a reason they close the Tioga Road to overnight parking October 15th.... come to think on it's pretty much that route that a buddy was following when a six foot snowfall accumulation snowstorm gained him and his friends a helicopter flight out back some years..... so watch the weather.

Eight inches to 5 feet, in one night, and it kept snowing...

http://www.sfgate.com/news....#page-2
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know the cables go down the 14th of October, right?

I'd go from a trailhead in Sequoia NF into Kings - but that's just me, preferring the "backpacker's parks". Don't forget the snow cables or chains and a shovel, and extra supplies. This time of year (especially since the snow has already started to flurry) it pays to be prepared and self sufficient.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the shutdown is over? This late in the year it might work better to loop across Tuolumne Meadows, up Rafferty and return down either Lewis or Fletcher creeks and skip going all the way out to Conness.
 Post Number: 5
Shnick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Literally over a million government employees might not get to earn a paycheck tomorrow, taking money away from their families and you're worried about not getting to go hiking?

Wow.

--------------
Get out there...
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been living with pay cuts and retirement cuts and a zillion other cuts for years, you're not crying about me either.

We civil servants just get to suck it up while the fat cats vote themselves raises - might as well go hiking.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I'm an Assistant United States Attorney so I'm actually one of those people you are talking about.  This is trip I've had planned for a year with some good friends.  We've already bought our plane tickets, etc.  One of my other hiking buddies just died of cancer at age 45 and he was very thankful that we made these trips a priority.

--------------
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
Shnick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have fun.

--------------
Get out there...
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some trailheads are self registering for wilderness permits in the off season. That's possibly available on either Inyos or Sierras web pages. Though some fed pages are going dark so I'd suggest checking soon.

Ironically it might not be a late enough trip.. Self registration starts in November for Yosemite at any rate, their "winter" availability, the forests certainly could have different availability.
http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/wilderness-permits-details

Phoo, the same with Inyo: their self registration season starts November 2.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail....5144746
 Post Number: 10
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 1:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is one trailhead not far from Yosemite that is ALWAYS a self-register:  Leavitt Meadows, on the east side of Sonora Pass. Given your plans, it might be a really good alternative.  You can hike from there over Dorothy Lake Pass into Yosemite at Jack Main Canyon...and from there take the PCT for miles in either direction, including into Yosemite.

We've got trip reports from the area on our website in the destination section for Highway 108 or Highway 395.  

And one note of warning.  We were backpacking this weekend at Ten Lakes Basin in Yosemite and the temps dropped into the 30s at 9,000 feet.  And this was NOT a cold weekend.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 1:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good call!
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5253870.pdf

Hoover Wilderness requires a bear resistant food canister.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/htnf/passes-permits

If you'd been planning on picking canisters up at Yosemite it might be prudent to rent some from Wild Ideas instead.
http://www.wild-ideas.net/rent-a-bearikade/
 Post Number: 12
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A group I hike with schedule this weekend for a trip in BLM land but the BLM website is saying the lands are "closed".  Not sure how this will be enforced but I imagine the law enforcement rangers will be out (both federal and local, the latter trying to rake in some "trespassing" revenue.  OTOH that's a lot of land to be policed.  Might figure on some trips using public transport in cities that abut forest service wilderness (i.e. Los Angeles area, Tucson, and Albuquerque ~ I'm not saying 'xactly since they might be looking at this thread and want to bust me --- signed: Rico Sauve   :cool: ).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2013, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If we want to get from Fresno to the east side of the Sierras can we drive through Yosemite or is the road closed due to the shutdown?

--------------
 Post Number: 14
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 2:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might consider the trails around Wishon and Courtright Reservoirs, east of Fresno.  Take Hwy 168 to Shaver Lake and then head east.  There are some very nice trails in that area with some being pretty strenuous.

If you have a 4x4 vehicle you can drive into the 4x4 campground at Voyager Rock on the east shore of Courtright and from there head into the Dinkey Lakes region toward the north or further east toward Devil's Punchbowl, Hell for Sure Lake and the La Conte Divide region.  I've taken older boy scouts up there a number of times and the area is gorgeous, lightly travelled, and offers some challenging trails and terrain.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(glowingrock @ Oct. 04 2013, 6:09 pm)
If we want to get from Fresno to the east side of the Sierras can we drive through Yosemite or is the road closed due to the shutdown?

Through roads like that are open, though I understand stopping is prohibited.

For an alternate there is also SR 108, Sonora Pass a bit further north.
To check on snow closures etc.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php?page=sr108

With Yosemite not answering its road conditions phone I'd suggest using 108 as a surrogate for conditions on Tioga, though I beleive Tioga is a bit higher in elevations...
 Post Number: 16
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Oct. 05 2013, 11:59 am)

This would involve many hours of driving past trailheads to great places. Doesn't make any sense to me. Stick to the west side.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Oct. 06 2013, 10:15 pm)

This would involve many hours of driving past trailheads to great places. Doesn't make any sense to me. Stick to the west side.

If 120 is closed that's an alternate to the Owens Valley. Which is where glowingrock was asking about getting to.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Oct. 07 2013, 1:15 am)

I'm total open to staying on the west side of the range.  Can someone suggest a 6 day backpacking trip on that side?  Thanks!

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given the wide coverage of national forests and parks over the California Sierra I'm coming up empty. What's needed is the equivalent of NY's Adirondack State Park. Tough situation.

But..
"Due to the lapse in agency funding, the sale of all types of permits (i.e., recreation, firewood, forest products, mineral materials for example) are suspended, recreation.gov reservations are suspended, and all federally owned recreation sites are closed. All offices are closed. These services will be available once funding is restored.
Law enforcement, fire suppression, and other essential services will continue without interruption.
This web site will remain available for public safety announcements and updates such as for wildfire, floods, and so forth. We will attempt to make timely updates about public health and safety on these web pages as appropriate.  We sincerely regret this inconvenience.
For general information on Forest Service shutdown procedures, please visit"

Doesn't specifically mention land closures so a self-registered TH might still be workable, such as Leavitt Meadows...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/htnf/home

ETA: Some potentially good news: Coronado National Forest is reported to have stated their trails remain accessible, so presuming that's a Dept. of Agriculture policy NF TH that are self-registering for wilderness access would be solid choices.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story....s-close
 Post Number: 20
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm reading on High Sierra Topix that there are plenty of people hitting the trails without having to stop and pick up a permit. My go-to western Sierra wilderness is Emigrant, which would offer plenty of excellent hiking out of Bell Meadow. Dinky Lakes, mentioned previously, is probably good to go, or you could go east from Courtwright for a longer trip, but watch for snow. Or the trailhead for this trip is open:

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1164940
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

toejam- How many have them mentioned running into a law enforcement ranger and being waved by? Getting away with something due to the odds is one thing, being in compliance with the current regs to avoid the off chance of having a long distance travel vacation ruined is another.

Case in point: there were apparently televised reports GSMNP was open for hiking, and it wasn't/isn't.

The Catch-22 of the usual official sources being dark I guess....
 Post Number: 22
beantownR6 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just spent 3 nights up at mountain home state demonstration forest, just south of sequoia national forest, car camping.  I day hiked into the sequoia grove.  this was my alternative to going to rock creek canyon which got closed down.  this is a state run forest so it doesn't close.  you can access the golden trout wilderness and go north into sequoia for backpacking.  if you could get a self issue permit for the GTW I think you would be good.  There are some nice lakes and fishing up there.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/resourc....ome.php

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23727
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2013, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

best to be geared for a bit of winter (meaning snow and cold):
"Yosemite Conservancy
Special Announcement: Tioga Pass Temporarily Closes today, October 8, at 6 PM

There is a winter weather advisory for the Sierra Mountains above 6,000 feet. Forecasters predict snow accumulations between 2-5 inches and wind gusts up to 50 MPH between late tonight and Thursday morning. The bulk of the precipitation will occur Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday evening in Yosemite National Park.

In anticipation of compact snow and ice on the road, which will create treacherous driving conditions, Crane Flat to Tioga Pass will be closed today at 6. PM. NPS work crews will reassess the road conditions after the storm and reopen as soon as possible when conditions are safe for drivers. Warmer and drier conditions are predicted for Friday and Saturday. "
22 replies since Sep. 30 2013, 12:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Need a Yosemite alternative in case of shutdown
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions