2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yosemite thanksgiving< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
beantownR6 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 5:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thinking about camping on turkey day weekend in yosemite.  Is it still busy this time of year?  Would driving up early on t day to get a spot at camp 4 be reasonable?  Weather permitting, and I've got 4x4
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Less busy, now that they're back I'd suggest asking Yosemite on FB about your odds for camp 4.

https://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All campsites are first come/first serve in winter - I'd go. 4x4 not necessary. You'll be required to have chains, but I've never put 'em on any time in winter, with a no-clearance Mazda... they keep the roads clear. Fresh snow would be the only worry.

If you can't get into camp 4, the other campgrounds are also open.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are a few available sites in upper pines so I booked one.  BBQ camp turkey this year!
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should be fun. Some of the nicest Nordic skiing I've done has been Thanksgiving Yosemite skiing so stay flexible on your plans, and pack a wide selection of clothes!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 19 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

10-4.  I hope it snows when we go.  I've gone snow camping in big bear down here so we have all the stuff we need.
 Post Number: 7
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When our family was younger we spent many T-day's near Yosemite.  It snowed infrequently, usually a light dusting and almost always on the last day of that long weekend. A sometimes chance to hear the squeak of first snow underfoot.  It was the traditional end of summer back packing.

We'd includ other families in our neighborhood and would book a large house rental (off season prices were better then) in Wawona.  We'd keep a fire going in the fireplace(s) to include marshmallows/hotdog cooking and chestnuts; play board games 24/7; have sing-a-longs and make up stories; roll the smaller kids up in sleep bags when they fell asleep and shove them away from the fire place; cook turkey and ham with all the fixins; take day hikes into Yosemite.  It was a nice getaway time and a chance to introduce some new to-be hikers to a fun time in small dosages.  Yosemite Falls was a sometimes highlight - and other day hikes in the area.

My luxury was a sneak off to the Wawona Lodge in the morning when it opened for coffee and a newspaper before the rest of the crowd got rambunctious.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always enjoyed that season at Yosemite. In some ways nothing special but that is part of the attraction: just a low key experience in a wonderful setting.

Outside of when the snows came early and I got my first nordic ski lessons. :)  But that was during a time when the Nordic Holiday races were routinely held on the Valley floor…. and that's been some years back.

ETA: Hmm… I may have just discovered new holiday plans.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have parts of two families en route to Hawaii for a convention, spending enough nights to catch Disneyland and the other expensive 'must see' stuff.  They are trying to catch up on 3 extra hours of time change.  We took them up to a ski shop for them to look at what this side of the Earth considers the hottest stuff on the slopes to be.  

They are avid cross country skiers.  The teens compete.  They are mostly telemark with 3 point bindings.  "The snow hasn't changed.  Why should we?".  It sounds more directive when delivered with a thick Swedish accent.  They are not of a mind to change what has worked...and not broke yet.

What has caught their attention is how few people walk, bike in Southern Calif.  On their way back in a few weeks, we plan to see what Mom Nature has tossed our way in the Sierra.  I seem to have enough accumulated gear to outfit most of them and rent skis.  I think it will be a bit too early yet.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Winter storm watch above 5k tonight through tomorrow.

Never say never eh?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know of any fire wood lots near yosemite?   I need to bring a ton of wood with me.  I guess they discourage you from bringing wood more than 50 miles away.  I know of a few places here in SoCal that sell firewood for cheap.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe call Stanislaus NF? the Rim fire cleanup has got to be generating a lot of timber.
 Post Number: 13
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2013, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a wood lot at the park--but you'll need to bring your own chain saw.  Most of the logs there are huge.  

It's right on the route to Ribbon Falls, west of El Cap

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mid November until the Christmas week is the slowest time of the year in Yosemite Valley though a few people probably come up for Thanksgiving.  Why?

Of course for families kids are in school.  Urban visitors are into other fall things like weekend football games, shopping at malls, etc.   Backpackers, hikers, climbers have left.    Trees with fall color will have lost all their leaves.   Valley grasses, herbs, and shrubs are all withered, bare, or drab brown.  Snow is unlikely in the valley which is at a low 4000 foot elevation, until January and if it does occur tends to melt quickly.   And their small ski area, Badger Pass rarely opens up before the Christmas period.   Nights are long, days are short so tent camping nights can be monotonously boring.  Temperatures are of course chilly.   October continued to be droughty so the drought is over 2 years now.  Most of the valley falls will all be dry and the ones that are not will only be wet dripping streaks on bedrock.

That said, the massive glaciated cliffs are still a sight to behold.   And for those looking for a quiet relaxed time at the famous park, that would be the time.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beantown:  Have a cord + of Maple 18" (or so) long ranging from 10" to smaller.  Take as much as you need.  Alhambra CA.  It was cut in July so may not be fire ready yet.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That wood lot on the fire road west of El Cap is for Yosemite residents only. And even they need a permint.

No, that isn't a misspelling - that's what the sign says....

You can buy boxes of wood in the village. Of course, it'll cost about what a cord of the wood mentioned above would cost a resident, per box. But you won't need a permint.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 21 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are disease issues.

With a website.
http://www.dontmovefirewood.org

"In an effort to prevent the introduction of the Sudden Oak Death (SOD) pathogen into Yosemite National Park, the Park urges travelers to follow existing quarantines of host material from the SOD-infested coastal California counties, reminding them that they are not allowed to bring firewood, soil, or plants from those areas into Yosemite National Park."

http://home1.nps.gov/yose/parknews/qwood.htm

The forest pests page and information on getting firewood for use in the park, it says anyone can get a permit. .

"How do I obtain safe firewood in Yosemite?

Wood permits are available for anyone to cut wood from Yosemite wood lots. Wood lots are located in El Portal, Foresta, Hodgdon Meadows, Wawona, and Yosemite Valley. Gathering wood is prohibited in Yosemite Valley, the Sequoia groves, and above 9,600 ft elevation. Permits are issued in the El Portal Fiscal Office (by mail or in person) at $10 per cord with a 6 cords per year max. Wood
is for personal use only—not for sale or exchange. Contact the Fiscal Office for more information at (209) 379-1869."

http://www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/upload/forest%20pests_8-09.pdf
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks speacock but maple is on the list of potential hosts wood on the link hsf posted.  

The wood lot down the street from me has almond wood and that's not on their list of wood.  Wonder if that's ok to bring.  I think I may just drive outside the valley and collect wood.  I tried calling the wood cutting lot without success.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 25 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd definitely give Stanislaus NF a call: the Rim fire had to generate a huge amount of cut timber that's probably piled somewhere, maybe even just along the roads since the fire was so recent. Yosemite's general  number might have similar information for along their roads...
18 replies since Oct. 17 2013, 5:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yosemite thanksgiving
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions