2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Another Rim to Rim question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 2:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Wife and I are thinking of doing a rim to rim of the GC in early May.  The North Rim will be closed but as I understand it you can walk into the campground and use it off season.  Is this correct?  Our plan is to overnight up there between crossings.  I'm also wondering about the Tonto trail.  Are permits easier to get and do they allow camping outside of designated sites?

Thanks in advance.  Sorry to ask another GC question :p

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This page would give you a start
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/winter-recreation.htm

Then call the park rangers: showing up somewhere based on internet rumor and getting closed out would not be fun and that park takes it's regulations more seriously than some.

The other place to get an answer would be the parks FB page, but for something that specific I'd say it's worth a call.

Their campgrounds page had a partial answer:
"During the Winter: snowshoers and cross-country skiers are permitted to use the park's group campsites if they have obtained a permit through the park's Backcountry Information Center. "
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-nr.htm

and:
"North Rim Campground: Camping will be available provided a backcountry use permit has been obtained in advance – these permits are available through the South Rim Backcountry Information Center, and at the Visitor Center at Pipe Spring National Monument located in Fredonia, Arizona. No car camping. Overnight parking of vehicles is not allowed."
http://www.nps.gov/grca...._158989
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, I'm thinking you mean a "R2R2R" as opposed to just a "R2R"?

Yes, you can camp on the North Rim via foot access.  In the winter season, it's treated as a backcountry site, so be sure to indicate it on the permit request.  I think it's called "North Rim Winter Camp" or something like that.  It'll be one of the choices on the use area drop-down menu on the permit request form.

Not sure I understand your question about the Tonto Trail.  The Tonto trail travels parallel to the Colorado River on the South Rim, between Red and Garnet (I think) canyons.  It doesn't reach the rim.  It travels through a bunch of different use areas, some of which have designated sites while others are dispersed.

If you're asking about alternative campsites, about a mile east of South Kaibab trail (on the Tonto) would be "Cremation".  At-large camping but also dry.  Going west from Bright Angel trail is "Horn Creek", designated site, also dry most of the year and slightly radioactive if running. (I don't drink it.)  Cremation is easier to get a permit, Horn Creek less so (it's on the very popular Hermit-Bright Angel loop.)

Another option is on the north rim side, in the Clear Creek use area.  It's about 2 miles east from North Kaibab trail, just above Phantom Ranch.  Also a dry camp.  Then there's the Utah Flats area, which is in the "Phantom Creek" use area.  It's a bit of a climb out of Phantom Ranch.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 4:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, we are planning an R to R to R, but might do a part of the Tonto if permits and logistics would be easier.  Just exploring options at this point.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, nothing's going to make getting a May corridor permit easy.  It's the busiest month for the corridor campgrounds (April is the busiest month elsewhere.)  It does help that you want to go before the 15th as opposed to after.

Two suggestions:
First one is to put in an application on DECEMBER 1st for a hike start the last few days of April (assuming that would work with your schedule.)  This will give you two lottery opportunities to get a permit.  When you apply on January 1st for a May permit, you can ask them to cancel the April permit and apply the payment you made for the April permit.

Second is to make the permit application as flexible as possible.  Put in for a range of dates and be sure to check the "campsites" box in the "additional choices" section.  If your itinerary choices aren't available but alternate campsites are, the ranger will pull a tentative permit for you (i.e. including use areas like Cremation, Clear Creek, etc.) and email you to see if you're willing to take it.   You can also write a short note on the application, something like "will take ANY 3 or 4 night R2R2R itineray!" and they'll do their best to fill it for you.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, we want to do a one night R to R to R.  We got a reservation for a  North Rim cabin on May 23rd, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get that week off of work.  Tentative plan would be get an early start, down Bright Angel and up North Kaibab.  We (hopefully) would walk in to the campground, overnight, and do the reverse.  Yes, I know it is a tough hike, but we are in pretty good (we have both finished 50K trail races) shape.  It would be nice to get a cabin or room at a lodge so we don't have to carry more than a daypack, but it looks like that won't be an option.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, OK.  Totally misunderstood since you asked about "permits".  You won't have any problem getting a permit for the North Rim campground before May 15.   The limited number of campsites available in the corridor campgrounds guarantee that.

The lodge at the North Rim ("Grand Canyon Lodge") doesn't open for the season until May 15th.

I would go down South Kaibab trail and come up Bright Angel trail, or vice versa.  It's worth seeing both, imo.  SK is a ridge trail built specifically as a hiking trail.  Spectacular views but dry and shadeless.  Bright Angel is in a side canyon, lots of water but crowded.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would it be possible to flip the route? Start on the North Rim (which is actually what I had thought you were doing) then all you'd need is a lighter pack since you'd stay "in the middle" at a south rim lodge? Walk in to the campground, set up the overnight stuff, then leave it there for the yo-yo and pick it up (or stay a night first) and then walk out to your car?

Not familiär with distances but if the cg isn't far from the closest open road that'd go.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Nov. 01 2013, 5:41 pm)
Would it be possible to flip the route? Start on the North Rim (which is actually what I had thought you were doing) then all you'd need is a lighter pack since you'd stay "in the middle" at a south rim lodge? Walk in to the campground, set up the overnight stuff, then leave it there for the yo-yo and pick it up (or stay a night first) and then walk out to your car?

Not familiär with distances but if the cg isn't far from the closest open road that'd go.

I'm pretty sure that once the gate to the North Rim is closed to vehicles for the season, they don't re-open it until in May 15th.  It's a pretty darn long walk to/from where you'd be allowed to park your car to the North Kaibab trailhead.

This is basically why most people to a R2R2R from the South Rim in the winter season (though it's hard to call early May "winter" in the Canyon...)

Many backpackers opt to spend two nights at Cottonwood and just hike up to the rim as a dayhike.  Cottonwood's a little lower and warmer and you can generally avoid having to backpack with full-on winter gear just for the North Rim night.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That actually might be possible if we can get a room at the south rim around the 16th or a little later.  Hmmm...

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Nov. 01 2013, 6:53 pm)

That actually might be possible if we can get a room at the south rim around the 16th or a little later.  Hmmm...

If you go after the 15th, there's availability at the lodge on the North Rim as well.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The week we want is sold out for the North Rim.

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
11 replies since Oct. 31 2013, 2:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Another Rim to Rim question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions