2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Snowshoe backpack in New Mexico< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TxHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2013, 6:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I are interested in doing a three day, two night snowshoe backpack in New Mexico. We are very experienced backpackers but this will be our first time on showshoes so a short hike is what we have in mind. Staying at the same camp both nights will be fine. Do any of you have a suggestion for a hike in the Las Vegas, Santa Fe, Taos area? I'm also interested in the Gila but snow may be iffy there. Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Pecos River comes immediately to mind because there are a lot of nice wide trails.  Heading up Jacks Creek towards Pecos Baldy would be great. But you don't even have to get that far out of town - lots of hiking trails near Santa Fe. Also great trails from Taos Ski Valley.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too far east for any suggestions from me, Zion is about my limit...

Have you camped on snowpack before? It's a bit different so worth anticipating the changes. Lots of fun. On winter in general I often get caught on how short the days are compared to my summer trips.

Oh and even though it's winter and you don't see any people your usual water treatment routine is prudent.
 Post Number: 4
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2013, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Dec. 08 2013, 10:09 am)
The Pecos River comes immediately to mind because there are a lot of nice wide trails.  Heading up Jacks Creek towards Pecos Baldy would be great. But you don't even have to get that far out of town - lots of hiking trails near Santa Fe. Also great trails from Taos Ski Valley.

I second the suggestion of Jack's Creek--that's a real nice hike.  If you can't get all the way to Pecos Baldy Lake, there's nice camping just beyond the Jack's Creek Crossing, or near the top of Round Mountain before the Jack's Creek Crossing. (But you'd have to melt snow for water there.)

Nearby, Hamilton Mesa to Beatty's Flat is a spectacular easy hike, with great views from atop Hamilton Mesa, but I don't know if the road to that trailhead is plowed in winter--I suspect that it is not, because it is a 4WD road. (I have done in in a 2wd sedan, but I'd never do that again.)

You can also reach Beatty's Flat from the Jack Creek trailhead.
3 replies since Dec. 07 2013, 6:52 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Snowshoe backpack in New Mexico
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions