2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Death Valley conditionD, death valley hiking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
westcoastwilly Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 1:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I Plan on hiking the high elevation areas of Death Valley. (Telescope Peak and others). The weekend of December 20th.
Has anyone been there recently ? Snow levels?

Thanks in advance.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Death Valley morning report is a good information source. A number of park roads are closed due to snow and ice fwiw.

http://www.nps.gov/deva....=439529

As well as their FB on roads

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRoadConditions
 Post Number: 3
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Charlie Callaghan is a ranger there who is well worth checking in with, knows the backcountry well.

Myself, I'd want ice axe, crampons, and would expect full on winter mountaineering on Telescope Peak. Many parts of the "standard" route, (i.e. near the trail) may be somewhat moderate but the summit cone could be a bad place to stumble. I hiked (dry) to the summit, summit ridge, in Oct. a few years back.

Luck with it. Let us know how it goes. Pyramid has a rep for a great view but no trail, somewhat demanding route finding, scrambling. Ridge walking north from Dante's View is easy, memorable.
 Post Number: 4
westcoastwilly Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the help so far. I called the park using phone but it only has automated messages. I e-mailed about campground closures that were stated on web page, they e-mailed me back a day latter stating one of them had re-opened.
the two highest elevation campgrounds are closed because of snow is whats stated. but I still wonder if there really is that much snow at 7400 feet as we have not had much precept this year yet. and temps have been warm.
We have mountaineering gear and I made a topo map route to telescope peak.
Still hoping someone has been in this area lately and will post.
" Happy trails "
 Post Number: 5
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only other thing maybe worth mentioning is that as the Telescope Peak trail leaves Mahogany Flats it does a sidehill traverse of an east facing slope. The top of the spur ridge just to the west may be a better "winter" route. Later, past the radio tower, it is a mellow plateau until the last climb.

Edit: have you scanned for a DV centered website/hiker chat board? Alternatively the Desert Peaks section of the Sierra Club may be a place to check. Somewhere there's a network . .
 Post Number: 6
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 2:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(westcoastwilly @ Dec. 16 2013, 10:57 am)
Thanks for the help so far. I called the park using phone but it only has automated messages. I e-mailed about campground closures that were stated on web page, they e-mailed me back a day latter stating one of them had re-opened.
the two highest elevation campgrounds are closed because of snow is whats stated. but I still wonder if there really is that much snow at 7400 feet as we have not had much precept this year yet. and temps have been warm.
We have mountaineering gear and I made a topo map route to telescope peak.
Still hoping someone has been in this area lately and will post.
" Happy trails "

I can say that the eastern Mojave got quite a bit of precip this year already. There was definitely snow on TUCKI MOUNTAIN just a couple short weeks ago.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
5 replies since Dec. 14 2013, 1:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Death Valley conditionD
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions