2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anyone else planning a JMT hike this summer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
alisaoutdoors Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2014, 1:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the low snowpack and considering my job is seasonal (winter and summer) I am thinking of doing another JMT thru hike this June. Starting June 11th and finishing sometime before I go back to work 4th of July weekend. I have thru-hiked the JMT twice before but never that early in the season so I am a little worried about bugs and some crossings but from my memory, there isn't anything too sketchy on the JMT... right?

My plan is start at Glacier Point instead of the valley and follow the Panorama Trail until it hooks up with the JMT then follow from there with some side trips and cross-country detours. I definitely will also do the Iva Bell detour out of Reds meadow and hook back up to the JMT near Silver Pass. Once we get to Wallace Creek, instead of heading to Whitney (been there many times) turn right and head to Crescent Meadow on the High Sierra Trail. I am thinking we need about 20 days to do this hike.

Anyone else planning a JMT trip this summer? Or in June?

Also any other JMT side trips or detours that are a must do?  (I am into peak bagging but only Class III or less. We did Ritter over summer and that was as intense as I can handle. haha)

Thanks!

--------------
"Not all who wander are Lost."
-- JR Tolkien
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2014, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went from HI to Bishop pass in 2013, I'm heading out Mid August to do the whole trail again this year.  Can't wait!! I plan on taking many more side trips this year & taking it slower @ 25-30 days. Enjoy!! ~Boots~

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wornoutboots @ Jan. 27 2014, 11:50 am)
I went from HI to Bishop pass in 2013, I'm heading out Mid August to do the whole trail again this year.  Can't wait!! I plan on taking many more side trips this year & taking it slower @ 25-30 days. Enjoy!! ~Boots~

It is such an awesome experience to do the whole thing! I am lucky enough to have done it twice and cannot wait to go back for my third this year. The section from Bishop Pass to Glen Pass is my favorite! Evolution Basin and Rae Lakes... Gorgeous! I definitely will and recommend staying a night off trail in 60 lakes basin too. I wish I could do the trail in 30 days... so much more time to explore and enjoy but I live in Mammoth and we are very seasonal so the majority of my work time is November-April and then July-September. Still plenty of time for small trips but there's nothing like a multiple week thru-hike in the Sierras! Hope to see you around the trail this August! Happy Hiking :)

--------------
-- JR Tolkien
 Post Number: 4
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also have done the Muir multiple times - 7, (along with the PCT) and agree 25 - 30 days with multiple side trips is a most desirable way to spend a summer...envious.

However, for me today, being off trail solo excites more than being a slave to any set path, not having to do X miles/day, passing by numerous lakes calling out to be fished...I would rather do my Sierra without all the trail congestion.

Bucket List trails, while enjoyable when younger (sigh), (I still anticipate 3 months of Sierra summer wanderings), now not seeing anyone for days on end, appeals more.

Have a great hike - The Sierra holds something for all.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 5
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good stuff, enjoy it before the dust and fire comes in full-force!

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done a lot of it. Someday, when I get bored of exploring the untrod ways, the un-touristed trails, the wild and wooly non-publicized places, I might bother to come back to the rest. It's gorgeous, but there is a lot of gorgeous to find on my own, without the pitter pat of 100 other boots than mine.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2014, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Peak bagging - Split Mtn is "easy" from the JMT. Tyndall is a more fun climb (north rib) and a worthy side trip.

Someday I'd like to spend some time in Evolution Valley/Basin area and climb The Hermit & Mt. Darwin.
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2014, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm.

Head south up Goddard Canyon and duck over to the JMT through the Ionian Basin?

But then I just love that Goddard quad....

Also: right after Forester Pass heading West past Lake South America and down that side of the Kern drainage goes through some wonderful rather untraveled country, the trail route is a boot wide (at one point Milestone's summit register was said to be the last one where you could still experience Norman Clyde's signature.....) Offering the further option of Colby Pass rather than Kaweah Gap with that flat bit past Hamilton lakes not to mention the riverside sand slog... though I'll never say bad things about Nine Lakes Basin, Hamilton lakes (except for the crowds) and the views of Valhalla and Angel Wings not to mention Precipice Lake.

Save yourself $193,000....
http://www.christies.com/lotfind....ls.aspx
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2014, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

June 11th?

Better book it quick. Looks like people have discovered that trick.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/fulltrailheads.pdf#page3

It's open as of the 29th but still....

Probably one of the advantages of recreation.gov, the availability display shows how many of the quota are available.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 30 2014, 10:19 pm)
June 11th?

Better book it quick. Looks like people have discovered that trick.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/fulltrailheads.pdf#page3

It's open as of the 29th but still....

Probably one of the advantages of recreation.gov, the availability display shows how many of the quota are available.

Yikes! Thank you!! I am going to call and reserve permits tonight! The trip isn't 100% (its pending on weather and snowpack) but 25 bucks is worth the piece of mind!! Will be reserving permits ASAP :)

--------------
-- JR Tolkien
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to have caught it then!

I was surprised as well because in past years the strict constructionists would be the majority and understandably compete for Happy Isles, leaving Glacier Point a bit alone. Apparently that's changed...

I wonder what's wrong with June 11th? That and the 29th are the only available dates that month.

LOL

it's still available as of Feb. 3...

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/fulltrailheads.pdf
 Post Number: 12
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 1:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would like to hike it again...I think next year instead tho.  I know someone who hiked it that time of year...there was plenty of snow, but the PCTers should have blazed thru the snow by then...:)

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(alisaoutdoors @ Jan. 29 2014, 1:09 pm)

(wornoutboots @ Jan. 27 2014, 11:50 am)

It is such an awesome experience to do the whole thing! I am lucky enough to have done it twice and cannot wait to go back for my third this year. The section from Bishop Pass to Glen Pass is my favorite! Evolution Basin and Rae Lakes... Gorgeous! I definitely will and recommend staying a night off trail in 60 lakes basin too. I wish I could do the trail in 30 days... so much more time to explore and enjoy but I live in Mammoth and we are very seasonal so the majority of my work time is November-April and then July-September. Still plenty of time for small trips but there's nothing like a multiple week thru-hike in the Sierras! Hope to see you around the trail this August! Happy Hiking :)

Thanks!! Yeah, I bailed last year at Bishop due to Altitude issues up a Wanda the night before. I'm more prepared this year & Can't wait to get out there. It's So Surreal!! Enjoy your hike!!    ~boots~

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2014, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(alisaoutdoors @ Jan. 26 2014, 1:13 pm)
I definitely will also do the Iva Bell detour out of Reds meadow and hook back up to the JMT near Silver Pass.

Can you elaborate on this detour? I can't locate it on the Harrison Map set or the JMT pocket Atlas?  Thanks!

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2014, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look for Iva Bell Hot Springs
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 27 2014, 4:07 pm)
Look for Iva Bell Hot Springs

Thanks HSF, I found it. Is there a better map I can buy? the Harrison Maps do not even have a name for that trail that drops down into the area. Can anyone elaborate on the highlights of that particular detour, what draws you to there?  I'm definitely looking forward to taking a lot of detours & maybe grabbing a small peak or from GP to Muir Pass.  Thanks again!!

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry for the delayed response... Iva Bell is SOOO worth it! The Tom Harrison Mammoth High Country map has the detour. When you get to Reds Meadow on the JMT instead of following the switchbacks up towards Crater Meadows... Head West towards Rainbow Falls on the Fish Creek Trail. You will follow that trail the entire 13.1 miles. No junctions along the way. You will parallel the San Joaquin for miles then turn left and drop into the Fish Creek drainage. The trail will cross a large bridge and then turn East up the creek. You will pass the Lost Keyes Lake junction sign and see many use trails heading up to the right along a small creek. Follow those unsigned creeks and you will find the hot springs. There are many different pools up there all built by Mammoth Locals. Expect amazing views and beautiful soaking tubs and large campsites.

From there to get back to the JMT you have 2 options. The longer option is to go back to the trail you are on and continue straight up and over a large saddle to Cascade Valley... Follow that trail until it meets the JMT at Tully Hole or climb out of the valley to Purple Lake.

My plan is to do the 2nd option (a lot less traveled)... Head down from the hot springs to the main trail and backtrack to the last junction. Follow that trail up to Lost Keyes Lake. That trail will take you to many junctions but keep heading towards Squaw Lake. That trail rejoins the JMT below Squaw Lake and Silver Pass. From there you can even skip more and take the Goddard Pass trail straight to VVR. Lots of options (that trail is on the Mono Map)

Hope that helps!

Hope that helps!

--------------
-- JR Tolkien
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Alicia!! For now I'm planning on camping near the hot Springs & then bouncing out onto the JMT just past "lake of the little Indian" at Silver Pass. That may change if I learn of anything that may draw me towards the Goodale Trail * into VVR that way? Have you or anyone else been that way? What's it like?  Thanks again!

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really need to buy more maps? I only have the tom Harrison JMT set. What are some other good maps?

--------------
 Post Number: 20
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2014, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.53423,-119.01631&z=15&t=T

The hot springs are definitely a nice way point to a lot of beautiful places that are generally off the beaten trail.  You just need the time away from the rest of the world and willing to expend the effort to find things.

Mapper.acme (and others on line) provide armchair access to a lot of territory just for planning and wishing.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 21
AlexW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2014, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey,

Are you planning on resupplying at Vermilion Valley?

If you are hiking to Iva Bell and planning on resupplying at VVR then hike over Goodale Pass and walk into VVR...

Esp if you've already hiked the JMT to Silver Pass...

Once you get up to Lone Indian, you will look over to your Left at the JMT, then turn Right and hike down to VVR. It's pretty cool...

On the backend, or the South side of VVR there is always the hike up Bear Creek to the South end of Bear Ridge. In other words, if you've already hiked the JMT from Mono Creek over Bear Ridge to Bear Creek, then why not hike up Bear Creek from VVR?

It is stunningly beauitiful...

Happy Trails!

--------------
Alex Wierbinski

TahoetoWhitney.com: High Sierra Trail Guide
TahoetoWhitney.org: Backpacker's Forum
 Post Number: 22
dcasey Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like too much snow to do the Colorado CDT this June, so I'm thinking of doing JMT starting late May what with the low snow this winter. Any thoughts?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dcasey @ Apr. 28 2014, 8:39 am)
Looks like too much snow to do the Colorado CDT this June, so I'm thinking of doing JMT starting late May what with the low snow this winter. Any thoughts?

I think you should look at the snow levels currently and watch the weather. If another cycle of snowstorms comes through there will be a few feet up high.

I just got back from 6,000 feet in the foothills - happy that I took waterproof socks and gaiters. Mushing through 8 inches of spring snow (powder, graupel and messy slush, rather than 8 inches of leftover consolidated snow) is miserable.

Also need to consider whether the usually resupply points are going to open that early. They usually do not.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 24
dcasey Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmm. Guess I'll wait til early June.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The first day you can pick up a bucket at MTR is June 21st.

Vermillion is open before Labor Day.

Reds Meadow usually opens in June.

There is no forecasted date for opening Tioga pass - the plow was halfway across when the snow fell again.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 26
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2014, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My girl and I got our permit approved for 9/12- 9/26. We're putting in at Sunrise Lakes finishing at Whitney. This will be our first go at the JMT and we will be moving quick. A little too quick for my taste, but I can only take up to two weeks off. CAN"T WAIT!!!

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2014, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sunrise seems an odd starting place, unless Lyell Canyon wasn't available. You'll just head up from Tenaya Lake's outlet and then back down over Cathedral Pass to the long traverse of Tuolumne Meadows paralleling the road.... And wind up at Lyell Canyon. Especially if you're feeling time constrained Lyell would strike me as superior leaving a little more dawdling tome for the fun parts.

For two it may be a decent effort to try and get a walk up when you arrive..... a Friday start could go.
 Post Number: 28
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 1:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree, not the best of locations. We want to hike as much of the trail as possible, so this is really the only choice. Will have to hike in from 120. And yes, we will definitely try to get a walk-up permit as I'm not too happy to be missing the first part of the trail. But either way, we are excited as all can be.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 1:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For a walk up a good alternative can be a Glacier Point permit for either Little Yosemite Valley, which has one quota.  Or another alternative, though your schedule is a bit tight for it unless you can jump out that Thursday would be a Glacier Point> Illilouette drainage. So end night one below Mt Starr King, a short afternoon walk so it would be doable Thursday afternoon with a same-day permit, then head out down the Panorama to join the JMT much closer to the beginning. Frankly if spending the night below Starr King a Mono Meadows permit would also  work especially if you were getting dropped off by friends.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 1:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And neither Glacier Point> Illilouette nor Mono Meadows is currently full for the 12th

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/fulltrailheads.pdf#page6
40 replies since Jan. 26 2014, 1:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anyone else planning a JMT hike this summer?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions