2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiking around the Sequoia National Park?, Good places for backpacking in the area?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 7:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a few work trips coming up to California and have been looking at the Sierras for some weekend backpacking trips. Is there anything worth trying around the Sequoia National Park Feb-March? I don't think higher elevations are going to be good if there is any snow pack, but maybe some lower elevations? I'd like to get to hike through some of the Redwoods.

Ideas?

--------------
Steve
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2014, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only place in the park you can backpack in (as opposed to through on the way to other destinations) the Sequoias will be the Garfield Grove, Redwood Meadow or Redwood Canyon. I suggest Redwood Canyon - plenty of info on the website about the rules - no fires whatsoever, any time. No camping within a mile of the trail head. Bear canisters are a good idea unless you are a pro at counterbalancing.

It's snowing there this week. It may not (I doubt it will) accumulate much of it. When snow is on the road to the trailhead from the Generals Highway, it adds a couple miles but it is a low mileage trip in the first place.

They are, by the way, not redwoods but sequoias - the redwoods are on the coast. Despite the name of Redwood Canyon.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2014, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Wishon Trail in Giant Sequoia National Monument may be a good option for you.  No campfires, it's not in the park nor wilderness so no permits required.  You can hike up through several groves if giant sequoias, depending on how far you go.  Good fishing in the Tule River.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2014, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.59705,-118.70234&z=14&t=T

People have had some good luck with Alta Peak area in March - better toward end of it.  By that time the snow has consolidated and you can probably walk on top of it.  This is assuming we will have some this year.

Access from Wolverton (or Crescent Meadows up Mehrten Creek) depends if the road is clear.

Lodgepole for the lakes. Best to call ahead and see how worried the Rangers sound.

Another option is Dinky Lakes.  But not in the National Park.

If you are in the San Francisco area, redwoods (the 'other' sequoias) are down the coast (Big Sur, Santa Cruz, etc) or north on CA-101 or I-5.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 5
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd be open to being outside of the "parks" also, i was just using the names as the general area - kings canyon too. I would like to have a camp fire. Something else i am discovering is a lot of the roads are seasonal and closed this time of year. That brings me to another question: I will be driving from LA to Tulare. Is there a way to go up 395 and cut West back to Tulare through the mountains - that is open and passable?

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing north of 178-155 for quite a ways. Even in summer, other than a southern forest road (9 Mile Canyon, Kennedy Meadows etc.) route the next one is 120 up at Tioga Pass...

That's part of the wonder of The John Muir Trail: never crosses a road for the entire 221 miles length...

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Campfires outside of established campgrounds will be VERY tricky with the current fire hazards and drought conditions. And that's a five thousand dollar fine when you get caught, or the cost of the fire fighting effort whichever is larger....
 Post Number: 7
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 8:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

178 over Walker Pass, go up the Kern R. through Kernville into the Giant Sequoia National Monument. Or from Tulare east to Springville and to Mountain Home State Forest - lots of great trails there.

Or just keep going north on 395 to Lone Pine, Bishop, etc. No Sequoia trees there, but the mountains are amazing!
 Post Number: 8
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Neither Alta Peak nor Dinkey Lakes has sequoias in/around, unless you go to Alta from Crescent Meadow (starts in the giant forest and then you are out of the trees within half an hour).

Dinkey Lakes is a very poor choice - the roads are all closed to the trailheads in winter, and won't reopen til spring.

Lodgepole for WHICH lakes? Pear/Emerald/Aster? That's also out of Wolverton unless you add a mile of steady uphill. Twin Lakes - that last couple of miles up will be lined with ice.

Traction devices are a good idea. The shallow snow consolidates and becomes a thick layer of ice.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 9
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2014, 1:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

And we are now getting snow in the  mountains finally! YEA! What about coming up the westside instead and hiking in the Ventana up in the Bay area...pretty nice area. There are several other areas in the Coast Ranges available in the winter and spring...

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
8 replies since Jan. 29 2014, 7:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiking around the Sequoia National Park?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions