2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Carson City, NV, hiking place very nearby?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 9:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a client in Carson City that will have me out there probably 2x per month over the next few months. As the days lengthen, I might be able to squeeze in a 2 hour hike--provided logistics to the TH are brief.

I think there is a place in town called Prison Hill that has a few rock forms and maybe some scrambling.

Any other options nearby?

--------------
Summon the Minions!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 2:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take an extra day each time per month and head west a little -my sincere recommendation.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 3
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in Carson City. The Tahoe Rim Trail is very close to Carson City. Go up hi 50 for about 6 miles. The trailhead parking lot will be on your right. You have a choice cross the highway to hike towards Minden, or keep right to hike towards Mt Rose. The views are fantastic. Bring water. In the summertime the Flume Trail can be walked or ridden by bicycle. Go up all the way on hi 50, turn right at the intersection and go about 2 miles to Spooner Lake State Park. Pay at the kiosk. I can't remember how much it is.  Prison Hill is just a big pile of rocks located between housing developments. It overlooks the prison, hence the name.
 Post Number: 4
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With your 2 hour window, my first thought would be to drive west up Hwy 50 to Spooner Summit and park at the Tahoe Rim Trail trailhead, as Paula recommended. I've never hiked this section myself, so I can't really vouch for it, but I have hiked in the area.

Also, like Paula wrote, you can drive to Spooner Lake (just a little farther than the trailhead at Spooner Summit, and involving turning off Hwy 50 onto Hwy 28). There is a fee to park there. If you had more time one day, you could hike from Spooner Lake up Marlette Lake (I've been there and like it). There is a bike rental shop at Spooner Lake, and you could pedal up to Marlette Lake--about 5 miles with 1,000 ft. elevation gain. You don't get the spectacular views on this trip, because you're down in a canyon most of the way, but the scenery is still nice. And if you have a lot of time to continue from Marlette Lake down the Flume Trail, you'll get the views. Link to bike rental website and map

Another place to hike might be a trail from Davis Creek Campground, north of Carson City. Nothing spectacular, but pleasant.

Also North of Carson City, at the north end of Little Washoe Lake, is Steamboat Creek. It is the lake's outlet. You can park just off the Hwy (Alt 395) and hike north. It is fairly level and there is no trail. It is not really that neat and the only thing that makes it worth mentioning are some rock formations and cliffs with owl nests. Maybe just a place to check out if you get bored with the others.

Lastly, I would just use Google Maps satellite view to find where the pavement ends and the jeep trails begin west of Carson City and west of Washoe Lake, and hike along the jeep trails.

---George
 Post Number: 5
greened Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tahoe... If you can get an extra day in every once in a while the Desolation Wilderness is within reach. Tough to beat Lake Aloha for the amount of effort IMO.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I second Desolation Wilderness as a great place to hike or backpack. It is so large, it can be entered at a number of places from western Lake Tahoe.  Good fishing also. It is about a 1hr trip from Carson.  530 543-2600 is the number of the forest service for the eastern side of Desolation Wilderness. The address is 35 College Drive South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150  It would be worth it if you could take  3 extra days  for backpacking.
 Post Number: 7
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2014, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Rangers at the NFS desk were really great suggesting hikes for my Wife and I when we were out there a few years ago.  Free bear can rentals too, if you ever need them.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 8
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great recommendations. Thank you!

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hungry Jack, where are you located?
8 replies since Apr. 01 2014, 9:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Carson City, NV
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions