2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yosemite 3 day hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Robfreudenthal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 10:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've not been to yosemite before but planning a 3 night hike in June 25 - 28. Will be travelling with my partner.

We were thinking of doing the following

Day 1)

Walk from yosemite valley, past the falls and to yosemite creek campground and sleeping there

Day 2) walk from yosemite creek to the ten lakes, camp up there.

Day 3) walk from ten lakes to May lake, camp there.

Day 4) walk from May lake to porcupine creek, up North Dome, back to Yosemite valley.

Do you think this would be feasible?

Is there anywhere we can leave the car in yosemite valley?

All advice welcome :-)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ambitious schedule.
Yes, this all can be all done but why?
Suggest paring this down some - not hiking every waking hour and leaving some time for relaxing sans backpack.

Day 1 - hike to top Yosemite falls.
Day 2 - rim trail, maybe see the arch, and camp atop North Dome.
Day 3 - down the snow creek trail.

Suggest parking Curry Orchard lot.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yosemite Creek campground is not a backpacker camp - it's a car campground that opens in July.

Are you experienced backpackers and quite fit and able to hike steep elevation gains and losses? That's a really ambitious itinerary if you are not. The last day in particular is going to be a real knee hammer - either you will be hiking lots of miles over to Yosemite Falls, or going down the Snow Creek trail. Both of which are very steep.

I suspect, if you are not accustomed to hiking at higher elevations, are new to backpacking, and have a heavy backpack (40-50 lbs) that it would be more like - hike to the top of Yosemite Falls and find a flat spot to collapse in. Hike up to Yosemite Creek and find a flat spot to collapse in. Hike toward Ten Lakes and take a nap on the pass, drop the last mile to the lower lakes, find a flat spot to collapse in. You'll be going from 4,000 feet in elevation on the valley floor to Ten Lakes pass at 10,000 feet in two days on your original schedule, which is hard to do with a loaded pack.

There are places to park your car for backpacking. All cars need to be cleaned out and free of things that interest bears, which break into cars for food, ice chests, bags, cups, granola bar wrappers....

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I vote for shortening this trip as well...but in a different way.  The best part of this hike is the Ten Lakes Basin part.,  Why not start there (or Murphy Creek trailhead, which is more likely to have an open quota) and go to May Lake and Ten Lakes...without the knee busting miles up and down Yosemite Valley's walls?

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Always surprised by the plans made by others - specifically those who also state, "Never been to the Sierra/Yosemite but...".

Nobody ever said Sierra backpacking was easy; indeed it often hurts. (I often swear at the %$#@! mountain.)
Maybe you think you are in "good enough" shape, for hiking Kansas ...can do 10 miles on the flats, ride your bike 70 miles a week? Great!
However, there is no preparation for hiking at altitude other than hiking at altitude. How much time do you have @ 8, 9, 10,000 feet?

Additionally, most of my best backpacking memories involve Sierra exploring without my pack on. In my case fishing but... taking an afternoon off lakeside, peak bagging, creek hopping, waterfall enjoying, or even just skipping rocks. Do you really want to hike from 7:30 AM - 7 PM?
Sometimes less is more.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Apr. 02 2014, 8:53 am)
I vote for shortening this trip as well...but in a different way.  The best part of this hike is the Ten Lakes Basin part.,  Why not start there (or Murphy Creek trailhead, which is more likely to have an open quota) and go to May Lake and Ten Lakes...without the knee busting miles up and down Yosemite Valley's walls?

I'd vote for this or a variation: White Wolf heading East, Lembert Dome heading west or as mentioned May Lake or Murphy Creek. With multiple entries like that a walk up next-day permit is essentially guaranteed and the early season high country is wonderful: the  multi thousand foot conga line of tourists up Yosemite Falls? notsomuch....

Also for someone new to Yosemite there are park-specific regulations you'll need to be aware of in regards to food and other bear attractants: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bears.htm

Hard sided canisters that meet the park's requirements are available for a nominal rental (IIRC $5 per week) from the wilderness office where you'll apply for and pickup your wilderness permit.

Additionally there are  variety of mosquito species that specialize in snowmelt so it I find a headnet useful for those meadow sections etc.. with too many bugs for my comfort....

This year snowpack is rather low so your over the snow travel should be minimal.

There are provisions for backpacker parking at the trailheads out of the Valley and and for within the Valley there is a specific one nearby Curry Village where there are also steel lockers available for storage of bear attractants outside the vehicle.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thankyou so much for all your input!  I'm more keen to hike around the ten lakes region, but my partner wanted to hike Yosemite falls.  We'll thrash it out between us and half the trip.  Will keep you posted :-)
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yosemite Falls is a great (though often crowded) day hike. And between 4 thousand feet at the valley floor and 7,200 feet at the top in a rather short distance on a southward facing valley wall that get's hot in June, hauling a load >> less than optimal. That's THREE Empire State buildings, 3200 feet, by the stairs, at high temperatures, carrying a load.... plus unlike Manhattan you're starting close to a mile in elevation: thinner air...

Depending on your schedule, say if you're getting there the day before to apply for a first-come wilderness permit? Do Yosemite Falls as an early afternoon (the walkups become available at 11:00 A.M. on the day before the hike's start date)) evening day hike, just bring headlamps. Nice Sunset views of the Valley...
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thankyou -although if you do Yosemite falls as a day hike presumably you don't need a permit?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2014, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Robfreudenthal @ Apr. 02 2014, 10:48 am)
Thankyou -although if you do Yosemite falls as a day hike presumably you don't need a permit?

Correct, the permits are only for overnight stays (and the Half Dome Cables...) I was thinking you get the wilderness permit, bear resistant canister taken care of right about at eleven for the next day's start of your multi-day backpack then head for Yosemite Falls for the day hike, or Vernal and Nevada out from Happy Isles...
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok have completely revised it.

Day 1) arrive, leave car at yosemite creek. Walk to ten lakes, camp there.

Day 2) walk back to yosemite creek via lukens lake to make a loop, camp at yosemite creek

Day 3) walk to yosemite falls and back

Day 4) drive to porcupine creek trailhead and climb north dome, then sadly drive out of the park and onto San Francisco.

What do you think??
 Post Number: 12
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

BTW, you can see photos of two of those three hikes on our website...Ten Lakes and North Dome.

We did Yosemite Falls so long ago that I don't think they had cameras back then....grin

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yosemite Creek campground and road  will still be closed for the season. There is no overnight camping at trailheads.

Unless you already have a wilderness permit getting a same day permit can be a gamble for a popular trailhead. A bit more probable for a weekday.

One thing is the night before and after a wilderness overnighter you can stay at any of the "backpackers" campgrounds that are open by simply paying the fee and showing your permit or confirmation email.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thankyou. We will book the permits in the next couple of days. Will there be a suitable spot to wild camp at the point where the trail from lukens lake meets the trail from yosemite creek, where I believe wild camping with a permit is permitted?

Thankyou!
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you go a bit downstream/slope from the junction it will work:
Here's the map with the prohibited distances marked (the arrowheads).
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/wildernesstrailheads.pdf
Given this year's snowpack Yosemite Creek is probably the more reliable water source in any case.

The area between Tioga Road the the North Rim is very nice and unappreciated IMHO.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2014, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thankyou
15 replies since Apr. 02 2014, 10:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yosemite 3 day hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions