2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Northern Nevada< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2014, 2:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tell me about any and all hikes you've done up thataways

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2014, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Northern NV is pretty big. One excellent source is John Hart's Hiking the Great Basin.

My trips: Table Mt., Monitor Range (central NV), Mount Moriah, north Snake Range (x 5). Mt. Washington and S. Snake Range crest (x4), Wheeler Peak traverse. S. Snake Range = Great Basin NP. Snake Range is east central NV.

Those would all be backpacking trips. I should also add that GBNP has great opportunities for day hikes, car camping, relatively easy to access aspen/meadows/tumbling creeks at the end of roads, some nicely quiet.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
IceAgeHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2014, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once I did a brief day hike on the Ruby Crest Trail in the Ruby Mountains. Don't remember now what part I did, but started from what looked liked a fairly major trailhead/parking area.  It was more of a "rest stop" hike, so couldn't go too far, but I liked what I saw.

Also hiked the Mt. Rose trail outside Reno one time too.

Tom
 Post Number: 4
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been to GBNP - but it was winter so we didn't get far.  Took a tour of the caves.

Heard good things about the Ruby Mountains.

Good suggestions - keep em coming.  Also interested in just good overall outdoor recreation opportunities - doesn't have to be hiking.  Car camping, scenic drives, kayaking???

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 5
IceAgeHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, there IS Burning Man in the Black Rock Desert... :D

Kayaking on Pyramid Lake?

Otherwise, GBNP and the Tahoe area are the main centers of activity.  Between them is a whole lot of scenic loneliness.  The Rubies are probably the most developed of the northern Nevada ranges.  The rest, as Eric can attest to, are great for getting away from the crowds.
 Post Number: 6
TIMOTEO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 4:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiked around the Hickison Summit petroglyphs off of Highway 50 east of Austin. Stopped and hiked around Railroad Pass southwest of Austin on Highway 722.

I've also been to GBNP, in the summer. I also took the tour of Lehman caves.

--------------
Babies be born, Environment won, Mercy to all, and Morals be strong.
 Post Number: 7
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 12:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to hunt in the Monitor Range. I guess that would be more Central Nevada than Northern Nevada. We'd go up some rough jeep trails with 4WD and set up camp. Most of the hiking I did was for hunting. I climbed up Summit Mountain at the northern end of the range, and also spent some time south in the Table Mountain Wilderness.

I really liked the Monitor Range. The mountains don't look that scenic from the road below, but once up in them I was really happy to be there. There is a lot of area with mostly only small desert shrubs-- like sagebrush-- and some aspen and juniper mixed in here and there. Then there are huge areas covered with aspen. There are awesome views that go for 50 or so miles. You get a real sense of being in the middle of nowhere. I think the other Central Nevada ranges would be similar. But it's been 30 years since I've been there, so I don't know how the scenery would strike me today.

North of Winnemucca, in the Santa Rosa Range, I camped at the mouth of Falls Canyon and hiked up the canyon. It was okay, but I sure wouldn't drive up there to do it again. There were some cool looking shale formations and a little waterfall. As far as vegetation, it was mostly small shrubs with a few aspen. I think there were a few pines higher up. One thing I remember was an 8-foot tall sagebrush plant. But I don't recommend this trail.

The Ruby Mountains is where it's at. I've only hiked there once for about 3 hours. My wife and I drove up Lamoille Canyon and hiked until the trail was blocked with snow. Now there is a place I'd love to go back to. Actually it's a bucket list trip for me.

---George
 Post Number: 8
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on Table Mt. Aspen stands are huge, nice sense of remoteness on top of the plateau. Panoramic views. I was there maybe 8 years ago, would gladly return.

http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView?WID=590
 Post Number: 9
TIMOTEO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just wanted to add:
LIDA SUMMIT
MAGRUDER MOUNTAIN
not real north, but it is thataways!
Monitor Peak in the Monitor Hills - central Nevada...
Big Kasock Mountain
SAND MOUNTAIN

--------------
Babies be born, Environment won, Mercy to all, and Morals be strong.
8 replies since Apr. 05 2014, 2:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Northern Nevada
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions