2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pohono Trail, Yosemite Valley South Rim< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 12:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are any of you familiar with the Pohono Trail? I might hike it in late August and turn it into a short backpacking trip. I wonder if anyone can give me any info on water sources (since it will be dry in August this year with the drought); places to camp; and any other info that you think might be useful.

Thanks ---George
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bridalveil usually has a little water regardless. There are camping restrictions, of course, the rangers will update you on that. We did it as a day hike from GP to Tunnel View with a car shuttle without an issue. In August I would expect to swelter. It's pretty steep after Stanford Point down to Tunnel View - easier going downhill.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2014, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dewey Point has one of the great views in all of YOsemite, and it is well worth the hike.  But between there are Taft Point, the trail is mainly away from the rim, and only has one other area where you get much of a view.

But I also agree that it's a better hike from the top than the bottom...and I would do it as a dayhike.  It's only 11 miles, and the quotas are very small because there aren't that many great places to camp.  Water is an issue, so that you are pretty much forced to camp at Bridalveil Creek,,,or carry a gallon or two to your campsite somewhere else.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a nice dayhike, snag the dnc tour bus and walk down.

For shorter multi days with valley views i like The a North Rim. Again a ride on the dnc Tuolumne bus to get dropped off and then route south and along the rim for an exit at, say, Snow Creek one of the best views of a Half Dome at the top there. Yosemite if you need shorter.

You can also look at the route down from Olmsted or Tenaya, again taking advantage of the tour/hikers bus.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I'm definitely in favor of doing hikes in the downhill direction when there is a choice.

Regarding the north rim, where do you think there will be water this August? I'd imagine Yosemite Creek will have a trickle. How about Snow Creek? Any other sources?

Thanks---George
 Post Number: 6
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year's low snow levels (and if a hot summer) will mean YNP's North Rim area creeks probably will be dry come August.

Royal Arch Creek and  Yosemite Falls usually go first..still, expect plenty of filterable water in the deep pools right above the big falls.  Hopefully, (as past history shows) Lehamite Creek holds out a bit later...alas leaving Snow Creek as the only dependable late summer water source in the area late August.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Markskor, very helpful info.
---George
6 replies since Apr. 12 2014, 12:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pohono Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions