2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Get'n back in the swing of it, near Phoenix, AZ< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ZenDragon Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 12:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So look guys/gals, due to foot problems (something called a freiberg's infraction) I've been out of the game for quite a long time, almost 3 years in fact. Recently, February to be precise, I finally opted to have surgery to fix my condition, and now have a titanium screw in the tip of my second metatarsal bone of my left foot. Its healed quite well, and I am almost completely pain free! YAY! So time to start getting back on the trail!!!

I'm a fairly experienced hiker/backpacker, and although not completely new to the ultralight trend, I have experienced nothing like what some of you are doing these days.  I got very used to carrying much heavier loads (probably why my foot was screwed up to begin with). That said, with my foot problems I have been devoting the last few months to replacing most of my gear with much lighter alternatives. I'm not going to get into a gear list here and I haven't weighed my stuff yet but I would estimate without food I'm down just below 20lbs, not the best but certainly not bad. I am at the very lest prepared for 4-5 day 50+ mile trip, gear wise. But would be pushing it having to carry food and water, and possibly having to deal with the physical toll on my foot of anything more than that. None of that is the point of this post however, just trying to give you an idea of where I am physically and gear wise.

I'll be honest, despite having lived in AZ for 15 years now, and aside from a few non-pack-in weekenders, I have hardly seen any of the AZ back country. My last decent hike was a 60 mile stretch of the PCT backwards through southern Cali about 3 years ago, and most of my trips previous to that were in though Colorado or New Mexico, even Washington State, anywhere but here. I've done some well over hundred milers so I know what's involved there, but I'll have to work back up to that over the next year or so.

So what is the point? Well like many others in this particular forum topic (Southwest) I'm just trying to come up with some good ideas for a decent trip. I'd like to start light... a decent 3-4 night pack-in/pack-out type deal on moderate terrain. On or off trail, as long as I can get far enough away to not see any car campers and cooler hauling frat boys I'm pretty much good. I am looking for something in the trees, the cooler the better... as a native Colorado boy, I love the frigid cold. Hopefully something not more than a couple hours drive from Phoenix where I currently reside. I was thinking something up near the Mogollon Rim but I dont really know the area well, I know its mostly indian reservation and wouldn't want to wander past the wrong fences. Heard some horror stories.

Anyhow was just hoping some of you all might have some lesser traveled GPS routes saved, or something like that. I am more than capable of navigating off trail with a topo and a compass as well. Any and all advice, maps, trail heads, gps coords, whatever, would GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks and happy trails! :D
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do not use GPS but to avoid carrying a bunch of water, go along perennial rivers or right after rainy season, maybe smaller streams (though I got caught short last Oct on Tanque Verde - had to hike out at 3 AM to keep cool).  Probably more towards the mtns, though there's the Verde River.  Do some summer day hiking to get used to the heat.    May not need much gear (minimalist tarptent) and if the water is flowing good, the only consumables are food and maybe fuel if you need to cook.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 3
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 7:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Although it's starting to get a little warm for you, Reavis Ranch in the Eastern Superstitions might be a good start.  It's close to you, fairly level, has lots of trees, plenty of water and the temperature is moderate or even cold at night.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 2:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Apr. 15 2014, 12:51 am)
I do not use GPS but to avoid carrying a bunch of water, go along perennial rivers or right after rainy season, maybe smaller streams (though I got caught short last Oct on Tanque Verde - had to hike out at 3 AM to keep cool).  Probably more towards the mtns, though there's the Verde River.  Do some summer day hiking to get used to the heat.    May not need much gear (minimalist tarptent) and if the water is flowing good, the only consumables are food and maybe fuel if you need to cook.

Im used to the heat, I just prefer to avoid it when I have the choice about where Im going. I've got the eqiupment and experience, just hoping for some more specific locations; mile markers and/or GPS coords to trail heads or something like that. Maybe some links to trail maps or topos that some of you might have used. I've been out quite a bit, but mostly to areas where there is usually quite a few other people. Want to shoot for something a little more remote (and noteworthy) this time. Arizona is pretty lame in that regard lol!

Im not opposed to bushwacking, but would like to avoid just wandering out in the middle of nowhere with nothing really worth seeing, and no mentionable or worthwhile destination! lol
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's sacrilege!  AZ has some of the best hiking available.  Hikearizona.com has a great database, with loads of trail descriptions, triplogs, and driving directions.  Many of them have downloadable GPS tracks (often a choice of more than one).  The traildex is searchable by numerous criteria.
 Post Number: 6
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ZenDragon @ Apr. 22 2014, 12:28 pm)

(SW Mtn backpacker @ Apr. 15 2014, 12:51 am)

Im used to the heat, I just prefer to avoid it when I have the choice about where Im going. I've got the eqiupment and experience, just hoping for some more specific locations; mile markers and/or GPS coords to trail heads or something like that. Maybe some links to trail maps or topos that some of you might have used. I've been out quite a bit, but mostly to areas where there is usually quite a few other people. Want to shoot for something a little more remote (and noteworthy) this time. Arizona is pretty lame in that regard lol!

Im not opposed to bushwacking, but would like to avoid just wandering out in the middle of nowhere with nothing really worth seeing, and no mentionable or worthwhile destination! lol

The Superstitions, Rincons, and East Saguaro have some multi day hiking loops (trails)  that aren't too far from civilization, yet have a remote stretch that will be away from the crowds in a mile or 2.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2014, 9:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Apr. 22 2014, 4:29 pm)
That's sacrilege!  AZ has some of the best hiking available.  Hikearizona.com has a great database, with loads of trail descriptions, triplogs, and driving directions.  Many of them have downloadable GPS tracks (often a choice of more than one).  The traildex is searchable by numerous criteria.

Yea I did happen to find HikeArizona.com shortly after my last post. Looks promising, exactly what I'm looking for!Although the site is horribly designed. Almost makes me want to go make a new one lol!
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ZenDragon @ Apr. 26 2014, 9:16 am)

(big_load @ Apr. 22 2014, 4:29 pm)

Yea I did happen to find HikeArizona.com shortly after my last post. Looks promising, exactly what I'm looking for!Although the site is horribly designed. Almost makes me want to go make a new one lol!

It's also a good place to find hiking partners.   There's always an interesting trip in the works.
7 replies since Apr. 15 2014, 12:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Get'n back in the swing of it, near Phoenix, AZ
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions