2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help needed for beginner overnighter!, Northern California< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Ca_Ghost Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 11:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I are just starting out backpacking. This will be her first over night.

Can anyone recommend a easy to moderate over night trip in the Northern California area? I was thinking Pt Reyes or even Big Sur area.

We are looking to go the third weekend of May for our first trip.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Coast Camp on the Laguna Trail is only about 2 miles each way.  I took my wife on her 1st trip earlier this year to the beach here.  As long as the weather is decent, Point Reyes is a great spot for a short trip to see what backpacking is like.  It will also serve as a test for gear, what you need/don't need etc.  You will need a permit.  There are also good sightseeing spots such as the lighthouse & elephant seals.  Good luck.
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Sur the park has no backpacking opportunities, and the majority of trails in the ventana wilderness are not easy to moderate. Vicente Flat or possibly the Carmel River area might suit. Check ventanawild.org for researching and for checking recent trail conditions. But I would recommend Point Reyes for a beginner over the Ventana if you are going in summer. Heat, drought and gnats/encroaching poison oak make Ventana trails an adventure.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 6:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pt. Reyes may be a tough reservation with this short a notice: those are popular designated sites (and they're mandatory) and being so close to the Bay Area the competition is fierce...:
http://www.recreation.gov/campsit....rtIdx=0

What's your travel tolerance?
 Post Number: 5
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're up to really Northern CA, you could visit Redwood NP, drive to the tall trees grove and hike down to Redwood Creek.  You will have to get a permit in Orick and camp South of the footbridge (which won't be in for another 6 weeks) but it's still a pretty easy backpack in and out with a big payoff in terms of massive trees.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the replies. We are pretty open to going anywhere in Northern California. We are in Oakdale CA so going up to the mountains or to the coast is not a problem.

We can't wait to get out and enjoy being out in nature
 Post Number: 7
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are in Oakdale then definitely look to the mountains before the coast. It's not only a shorter drive, but during the summer in Northern California there is fog every evening along the coast---and that means your tent and your campsite will be soaking wet in the morning.  

You've got Yosemite, Emigrant Wilderness, Carson-Iceberg Wilderness all within about 90 minutes of your house!  Hite Cove is between Mariposa and Yosemite, and is full of wildflowers right now.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Didn't think about the fog and the moisture thanks. Will definitely take a look at heading up to the mountains.
 Post Number: 9
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check in with REI or Sierra Club if you would like some company and perhaps some other local ideas for over night.

The mountains will have some snow until July and you will be restricted to lower elevations for a month or so.  You might consider looking at the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)  crossing of the 108 and the 4.  Sonora Pass is still a little high and probably snowy through June,  but here is where the PCT crosses it.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.34472,-119.62111&z=14&t=T

You have wonderful access to so many places on the west side of the Sierra as well as a shortcut over the top to the east side when you have more time.

I suspect others will chime in.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 10
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey ghost, my wife & I are building in Oakdale, should be moving in a couple of weeks.
 Post Number: 11
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't go if it's raining.
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ca_Ghost @ Apr. 29 2014, 11:43 am)
Didn't think about the fog and the moisture thanks. Will definitely take a look at heading up to the mountains.

Congrats! We are on the east side past the rodeo ground. Love Oakdale
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hites Cove and the Merced River canyon can be quite pretty:
http://www.michaelfrye.com/landsca....poppies
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 12:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But Hite Cove will be closed by June...

I would go up 108 into Emigrant - probably the least issues with permits and plenty of bang for the buck.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Third week in May is the timeframe. The lower elevations will be past peak for flower but higher up will be nice.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It'll be hot and possibly closed earlier thanks to the drought. And the flowers are mostly done according to the latest group from my hiking group - we end up visiting three or four times in a season. The last group went five days ago and came back with no pictures of poppies.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was thinking higher up in the mountains, not further up in Hites.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I found a trail at Kennedy Meadows that looks like a great place to start.  The wife loves the Pinecrest area so we are praying the last of our gear gets here by the 17th of May.  Having a hell of a time getting the tent we want.  We have to drive to the manufacturer and pick it up in person.
 Post Number: 19
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Currently 18 inches of Snow at Sonora Pass.

Kennedy Meadows will have less...but there will be snow!

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

CDEC has various information lists, though Kennedy seems to be neglected this year, others do have info:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/stamap?KNM
 Post Number: 21
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bell Meadow & Crabtree trailheads closer to Pinecrest are worth checking out as well. That's a great place to start backpacking. You could get really spoiled.
20 replies since Apr. 28 2014, 11:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Help needed for beginner overnighter!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions