2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tioga Road opens tomorrow (May 2): Yikes!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 2:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

I get thirsty just thinking about August.

and 2 lb. the quart! Yuck.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya beat me to it!  :-)

Story
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like to look at the Yosemite National Park Facebook page and they posted it there.
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am hiking the North Lake to South Lake loop in early Sept, then moving over to Rae Lakes for mid Sept.  At least the skeeters should be gone.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 01 2014, 2:33 pm)
I am hiking the North Lake to South Lake loop in early Sept, then moving over to Rae Lakes for mid Sept.  At least the skeeters should be gone.

The classic north lake-south lake (up Evolution, Muir Pass etc.) or up Goddard Canyon and sneak into Ionian Basin etc.? Pretty country in any case....
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Past North lake and LaMarck Lake to Lamarck Col and over it.  Down into Darwin's Basin and over to Wanda.  Spending 1 night in Dusy Basin.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's way too early  :(
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ May 01 2014, 3:25 pm)
It's way too early  :(

Totally ^this^.

Sigh
 Post Number: 9
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2014, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Living in Mammoth -
Recent new snow (what remains anyway) is total crap - 20 inches post-hole hell over old ice... Just slow going up high. (I would wait or go elsewhere lower if intent is to get out this week as snowshoes and skis worthless and boots alone even worse.)

In Tuolumne, nothing will be easily accessed - nothing will be open - no camping...just a road through the Sierra... (Still pretty nice though.)

Snow level is ~9000 feet now - solid...Lakes above this are all still white but starting to thaw. As stated above - too early to do anything but drive through.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 10
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2014, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a short Yosemite trip planned for late August, so I'll experience the crispiness then.

---George
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2014, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(george of the j @ May 02 2014, 1:14 pm)
I've got a short Yosemite trip planned for late August, so I'll experience the crispiness then.

---George

On the (minimally) plus side: close to zero chance of significant mosquitos probably even close in to riparian zones....
 Post Number: 12
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2014, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, HSF, that will be a plus. It's a big plus to me, really.
 Post Number: 13
Highsierraview Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ May 01 2014, 10:53 pm)
Living in Mammoth -
Snow level is ~9000 feet now - solid...Lakes above this are all still white but starting to thaw. As stated above - too early to do anything but drive through.

Markskor...how is the snow level looking now?  I have a permit to head in at Tenaya Lake and come out on the valey floor for May 29-June 1.  First night at Sunrise lakes (9200ft), hitting clouds rest day 2, then all lower elevations after that.  Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a look over that way:
http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams/high-sierra#.U3KYRl7rWtY
 Post Number: 15
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2014, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, expect 70 degrees tomorrow -> Saturday...Mammoth.
Mamie @ 9000 feet elev.  (90% iced over yesterday), was totallly ice free today. - unexpected change! Fricking beautiful.

Plenty of crappy snow, (20 inches posthole fun) still in the trees above 9500, but slopes in the sun are almost bare. If conditions remain hot, all Sierra will be wide open by the holidays. GO!

However, long range reports hint to cooler conditions, maybe some serious rain/snow - 10 days from now.
Stay tuned.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 16
Highsierraview Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome...thank you both for the info!  As long as it doesn't dip below the 30's overnight, I think I can deal with the rest of it.  Can't believe I am a little over a week away from the first trip of the season...I AM STOKED!!!
 Post Number: 17
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last weekend we had crunchy water... it was in the 20s at 8000 feet.

I'd never go out unprepared for below freezing any month of the year - the Sierra has its own weather. It'll snow in any month, especially at high elevation.

It's going to snow this week...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 18
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp1.html

http://wxmaps.org/pix/prec1.html

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/qpf2.shtml
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

AND per Facebook: Tioga and Glacier are both closed due to the above recent snow. (The winter storm advisory for higher elevations sort of made that likely).

Yosemite National Park
31 mins ·
The Tioga and Glacier Point Roads are temporarily closed due to snow. Call 209/372-0200 (then dial 1 then 1) for road updates (and Yosemite Conservancy webcams for visual updates: http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams-videos).
18 replies since May 01 2014, 2:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tioga Road opens tomorrow (May 2): Yikes!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions