2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Short trip to granite lake in King's Canyon in Jun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
slowwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 12:06 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello, everyone,

I'm planning a two day trip to Granite Lake in King's Canyon NP in late June. I have a few questions, and hope that folks familiar with the area can provide some insight.

1. Based on map, it seems we will be able to get water from creeks. Please let me know if I should pan on carrying more water.
2. In late June, will snow on the ground be an issue at high elevation? Some of the people in my group may not have sufficiently water proof gear.
3. Now, if the snow already thawed by then, would mosquitos be a big problem?

Thanks
Jia
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snow will still be around late June...but you should be able to find dry ground to sleep no issue. Mosquitos will most certainly be an issue til mid July even this year...bring headnets and deet...:)

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People should take at least a trash bag or emergency poncho. Afternoons in the Sierra will often have thunderstorms, anything from sprinkles to a two hour downpour that washes the ground out from under your tent.

The mosquitoes are just getting started, and will probably linger into June. Not sure they will be around in July, it's very very dry right now - where there are usually wet meadows full of puddles for them to breed in, it's grassy and merely moist.

There are a couple creeks along the way. If they dry up it won't be til August....

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Normally there is snow covering all trails above 11,000' at mid June (Father's Day).  You have a less than normal wet winter, which should similarly be related to the snow depth above 10,500'.  You may have some berms that cross the trail on the way up.  You won't be that high, but you will find out if history repeats itself.

AlmostThere is right on to carry wind and water protection.  A couple of heavy duty trash bags fit nicely into the bottom of a day pack.  I've handed out more than I've used.  

I'm guessing that you will have water along the way but still have a jug with you to sip in between.  That last unnamed feeder to Copper Creek (half way) has had water in it in late July on normal years.  Let us know how it is in a dry year.  The drainage from Grouse Lake will have water, but a bit of a pain to get to it and by that time you are almost home.

That trail is relentlessly uphill and about the same as hiking up out of the Grand Canyon. Get a very early start as it really gets hot and you are in a very low gear the entire way.   Mostly a mental problem as you can see the cars getting smaller and smaller but not as fast as you would hope.  Same for return trip.

It is a beautiful area you are going into that is worth the first day's effort.  Too bad you have paid full fare and only get as far as the lakes.  Congratulate your selves as you crawl over that last ridge.  You have done a mile up in a day.   The other side of Granite pass is a great morning hike on your way back down that afternoon.  If this is the first hike of the season, be sure to have Ibuprofen with you.  That is a big bite to chew on all day.

Don't forget the DEET.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 5
slowwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks everyone for the quick feedback, will report back.
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If the thunderstorm starts to show lightning activity, turn around and get back into the trees to hunker down. If you find your hair standing on end, space out 50 feet from each other and your packs/poles, stand on your foam sit or sleeping pad, balance on the balls of the feet, crouch, and pray.

Google NOLS lightning safety for a pdf on the full lecture.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 1:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice country back there just a tad further. As mentioned a heavy price for a short visit....
 Post Number: 8
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2014, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful country up on top -- I did this trail many years back to start the Sierra High Route. Trail is a stiff, long ascent -- and on a south facing slope. I'm hoping you have some cloud cover.
7 replies since May 06 2014, 12:06 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Short trip to granite lake in King's Canyon in Jun
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions