2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dinkey lakes, mosqueto free camping< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
westcoastwilly Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 6:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I Will Be backpacking the Dinkey lakes, western Sierras area in mid June. I have read this area in known for a lot of bugs.
 Question: Which lakes / Campsites are better for avoiding the Bugs ?
We will be there for 3or 4 nights and will be trying to camp in areas were the bugs will be most tolerable.

Happy Trails
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stay away from lakes, streams, ponds early morning dew on willlows.  Better yet if you can find a close in ridge with a light breeze.  Sleep there  3mph breeze and they can't fly accurately.

They like early evenings and early mornings just before sunset/riise.  I've heard they like blue.  Let the person you care less about, borrow your blue jacket. Then hang out with that person.   They are attracted to the carbon dioxide given off by mammals. If you get one in the mouth, calmly swallow it. Mention that it tickles to gross out your partners.   Good source of protein and a mainstay of a lot of animals.  Besides she is worse off than you are.

DEET will work on any lower 48 skeeters.  A drop or two in the hands warmed up with friction between the palms and spread that amount around exposed skin, hair and shoulders.  It goes a long way.  Lasts an hour.  Head net, heavier socks for ankle protection and a hooted jacket.  You probably don't need this caution but don't smoke while wearing head net.

Don't let a Sierra trip cancel out because of mosquito stories.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely higher open ridges and granite slabs. Head nets and a nicely sealable tent minimizes the hassle.
 Post Number: 4
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Island Lake (a ridge backside with an exit stream) makes a good central campsite...many lakes within a few miles.

Re fishing - lots of 8 - 10 inch brooks, fun but, as the Dinkey Lakes are relatively easy to get to, bring lots of other camp foods

BTW, as it warms up, the bite cools.

Additionally, Chain Lakes (another TH but close...off Beasore Dr.) would be lots nicer, IMHO.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't stay at First Dinkey. Second Dinkey is the better choice - minimal foliage, no fish, so people will move on to other lakes with fish. The mosquitoes will lurk in the grasses around the first and larger of the lakes, and the meadow gets really swampy. Stay out of grassy meadows anyway, camp on durable surfaces.

Island Lake is really popular - golden trout hybrids and rainbows live there. Rather than staying at the impacted heavily used sites around the lake, climb up the granite ridge and look for the few sandy flat spots devoid of vegetation. Let the breeze over the ridge blow the little bloodsuckers away. You get great sunset views from the top. Don't build a fire up there tho.

Swede and South lakes are really busy. So is Mystery.

For true mosquito free Sierra journeys - plan for late August or September.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6
westcoastwilly Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2014, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the response and suggestions.
5 replies since May 07 2014, 6:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dinkey lakes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions