2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Close to N. Illinois 3 day trips, Requesting suggestions on places to go< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
aDub2 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2012, 1:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for suggestions on places within a 4 to 5 hour drive from my location which is N. Illinois (north suburbs of Chicago).

4 days, 3 nights
Beginners
One teenager
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2012, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a 65 section of continuous the Ice Age Trail in Northern Wisconsin
and there is a 110 mile stretch of North Country Trail in farther up.

A brochure about the NCT Section is located here
http://docs.google.com/viewer?....i&pli=1

Also, you may want to consider the North Country Trail
in Michigan.  The Manistee River Loop is reported very
good.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2012, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Manistee River Loop is good for 2 nights (can easily be done in one) and a great beginner loop.  You stretch out your driving a little farther and you can have a fabulous trip at the Porcupine Mountains in the UP of MI.
 Post Number: 4
aDub2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great information, thank you for sharing.
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2012, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well besides the other ones listed you could do:
the Backpack Trail at Forest Glen Preserve down in Georgetown, IL down by Danville, IL
Yellow River State Forest up by Mcgregor, IA
Black River State Forest up by Black River, WI
North or South Kettle Moraine SF up in WI
North or South Manitou Islands in Lake Michigan
Sleeping Bear Dunes NP in MI
Sand Ridge SF in IL down by Pekin, IL
Jordan River Pathway in MI
 Post Number: 6
CanoeCommunicationsBlog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2012, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are 15 suggested places in Illinois in an post of  mine that include: Apple River Canyon State Park, Mississippi Palisades or south west there is Starved Rock with cabins and lodge, Buffalo Rock or Castle Rock.  Looking for lakes?  Rock Cut State Park or Shabbona State Park.   If you want Wisconsin, have tried you Devil's Lake in Baraboo or Big Green Lake or Canoe Bay?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2012, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately all of those 15 places have only campground camping no bp sites. Also some have hardly any mileage of trails worth doing. I suppose if you want to just hike and then go car camp then they are ok.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your information is off.  

Yes, they do have backpacking sites in some of the 15 parks that I listed; both the state parks and forests and the Shawnee National Forest.  Mississippi Palisades alone has 15 miles of backcountry hiking trails, and at least 9 miles of beginner level trails.  Then there is some 4.6+ miles of moderate to hard trail hiking.  At just this one state park, in total there is 29+ miles of trail hiking.  

You can go to the DNR Illinois and National Parks websites to verify it.  Some even have remote access only by boat, canoe or kayak backpacking sites.   :D The levels vary from basic to experienced at the parks.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then there is the Porcupines in Michigan and Brown County in Indiana.
 Post Number: 10
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nordhouse Dunes is good for night, maybe two.  I'm pretty sure it's closer to you than to me (Ann Arbor). The last time I was up there, I was searching for the Tigers game when I got back to the car and all I could find were White Sox games...

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CanoeCommunicationsBlog @ Aug. 15 2012, 10:07 pm)
Your information is off.  

Yes, they do have backpacking sites in some of the 15 parks that I listed; both the state parks and forests and the Shawnee National Forest.  Mississippi Palisades alone has 15 miles of backcountry hiking trails, and at least 9 miles of beginner level trails.  Then there is some 4.6+ miles of moderate to hard trail hiking.  At just this one state park, in total there is 29+ miles of trail hiking.  

You can go to the DNR Illinois and National Parks websites to verify it.  Some even have remote access only by boat, canoe or kayak backpacking sites.   :D The levels vary from basic to experienced at the parks.

The Mississippi Palisades only has 15 miles of trail total. Not 29 miles. There are about 5 on the South side of the park and 9 on the North side. I know as my girlfriend used to work there and we hiked the trails a lot. Yes, they do have backcountry sites now that is new to up that park. Although where they are at you would have to carry all of your water in as no natural bodies of water by them.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, so you tried the North trail has 9.2 miles and South trail that is 4.6 miles.  Have you tried the Sentinel and Sunset trails at MP state park?  For water, well there is Mississippi River, Pool 13 that has bass and bluegill.  I usually pack water purification tablets whatever state or country I go to to hike to be on the safe side.  MP encompasses Sentinenl Nature Preserves and the original Palisades state park.  People can rock climb and do vertical hiking too.

This is one of the 15 I listed, because of the up hill hiking and climbing.  I'd say almost everyone of the 15 has a lake, river, pond etc. in the park.  The list is a suggestion for hikers looking for hills and mountains.

There are 50 other state parks that offer different kinds of hiking, backpacking or boating experiences in Illinois.  Lots more to choose from in the Midwest.  Find what you like and have fun.  :)

Tiger Fan, the dunes are beautiful!
 Post Number: 13
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2012, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should seriously consider driving up to Pictured Rocks. I have gotten there in 6 hours from downtown Chicago. Just have to time it right to avoid rush hour.

It is an amazing place with great backpacking or car camping + day hiking spots.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2012, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pictures is beautiful and then there are the Apostles in Northern Wisconsin.
 Post Number: 15
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2012, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trap Hills & Sylvania Wilderness UP Michigan; that's where I'm likely headed next week (new ground for me, as my usual backpacking destination up there is the Porkies; I've also dayhiked Pictured Rocks quite a bit).

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
14 replies since Jul. 18 2012, 1:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Close to N. Illinois 3 day trips
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions