2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Heading for Sylvania and the Nicolet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2012, 9:08 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just finished loading the car at my sister's in Wausau and we are heading out for three days in the Sylvania Wilderness and another couple of nights on the Hidden Lakes Trail in the Nicolet NF

We are stoked. Way too much work-related stress this summer. This should be the antidote.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2012, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning on canoeing or bping the Sylvania Wilderness?
 Post Number: 3
grousechaser Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lucky.  I did a day hike in Sylvania in July should have spent a night.  Soccer and football are in full swing right now so my hiking/bping time is limited.  I'm not complaining the kids love it and it's better than them sitting in front of a t.v. or computer.
 Post Number: 4
Lbear Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2012, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ran into a guy in the porkies that told me the best backcountry campsite he had ever been to was at the hidden lake trails. He didnt tell me exactly where it was but he told me " remember two things,hidden lakes and three johns lake". I plan on visiting this site one day.
 Post Number: 5
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2012, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just spent a weekend backpacking at Sylvania earlier this month - it was fantastic, definitely someplace I'll return to!  Nothing like having your own private beach for the night.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 6
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2012, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah post back on the Hidden Lakes Trail.  Haven't done that one.
 Post Number: 7
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mike, Hidden Lakes is well worth a peek. Long dayhike or overnighter. a loop, maybe 13 miles.
 Post Number: 8
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2012, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both legs of the trip were outstanding as expected. We had a beautiful hike from the boat landing on Clark Lake out to the Loon campsite on Loon Lake. After setting up camp, we walked along the shore of the lake for a couple of hours. The water was low so we had beach most of the way around. We sat on the beach at camp and watched a family of mergansers, several loons, an osprey and an eagle. The moonset and stargazing were spectacular. It began raining around sunrise but stopped long enough for us to have breakfast and break camp. As we were leaving the site, a good friend of my sister’s paddled up in his canoe. He had the site reserved for the next six nights. I met him on our first trip to Sylvania in ’03. As we left, a steady rain began. We had the Maple 2 site reserved for our second night. Hiking through the hemlock forest in the rain had a eerie primeval feel. We ran into a family at the Clark – Loon portage trail and did not see anyone else until we returned to the car the next morning. We had the entire west side of Clark Lake to ourselves and heard no one on the other side. It rained on and off through the afternoon and we did a little hiking around our camp. Hay Lake is one of my favorite spots in that part of the wilderness. I don’t see well and I think that is why I enjoy the smaller North Woods lakes. Our hike back to the car was gorgeous. We cleaned up and repacked at the nicely appointed showers at the Sylvania beach and headed for the Nicolet NF.

We entered the Hidden Lakes Trail at the Luna Lake boat ramp. My Wife’s knee was bothering her so we decided not to hike the entire loop, My sister had scoped out the campsite Lbear mentioned on Three Johns Lake so we decided to make that our base of operations. It was a fabulous established site. Tent pads above the trail overlooking water on two sides, a small beach area and a vault toilet back in the woods. There was some boat noise from Butternut Lake but it subsided early in the evening. We had a family of loons nearby and enjoyed watching them fish and fuss from our spot on the beach. The stargazing was not as nice as Sylvania…there is a lot more ambient light. We had a pleasant and peaceful night nonetheless. We took it easy the next morning and watched the birds on the water until the water skiers started up on Butternut late morning. Then we left our basecamp and continued on the Hidden Lakes Trail to Franklin Lake. After hiking the Nature trail we headed for the beach and since it was deserted, walked on the beach trail for awhile. Then we headed back to camp. I particularly enjoyed spending some time at Two Dutchman’s lake. Every bit of the trail between Luna and Franklin Lakes was gorgeous. I can’t wait to go back and hike the whole loop. There were two other groups camped on the lake last night but everyone was quiet and respectful. Two highlights of the evening…loons carrying on after hearing a group of coyotes and a bear growling as he walked past our camp about an hour past sunset. We had wind and rain overnight and more rain while packing up. On the way back to the car, we completed the Luna Lake Loop. For anyone hiking the Hidden Lakes Loop, this is a worthwhile side trip, as it travels through a couple of stands of very old red pines and is pretty throughout.

Overall we had a beautiful and much needed escape to the North Woods and a great visit with my sister. I can’t wait to do it again. My camera acted up so I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked but I'll post them soon.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2012, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great report, cant wai to see the photos.
 Post Number: 10
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2012, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bob,

Thanks, your report brought back great memories. Loon L. is a good place to be.

One colder memory -- one President's Day weekend we picked up the "dot-dot-dot-dash" tracks ( several bounds then a bellyflop sometimes ten feet long) of an otter on the snow covered ice of Deer Island Lake. We followed the tracks thru Loon Lake and on to Clark Lake. :D
 Post Number: 11
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2012, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep great place but ya look a bit harder and there be hidden lakes with trails and no powerboats

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 12
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2012, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really have to get up there sometime.  It's on my list of local places to go!

Thanks for the TR, you've wet my whistle :)

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2012, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still can't wait to see those photos.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would still love to see those photos BOB
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 7:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have a website that has a map of the Hidden Lake Trail so I can copy it off???
 Post Number: 16
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

QC - There is a map and guide in Eric Hansen's book Hiking Wisconsin.  Of course I recommend you buy it, but that portion is available on Google Books (page 90).  You can also get trail maps on the CNNF's web site or order a trail guide in paper format for free by calling their office and giving them your address (the paper edition is a little better), but I'm guessing Eric's write up and map is probably the best...
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried adding an attachment but didnt work, try this link.
http://www.vilaswi.com/outdoor....-trails
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had found both of those maps when I googled but was looking for something better as those are pretty simple. Thanks for the help.
17 replies since Aug. 22 2012, 9:08 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Heading for Sylvania and the Nicolet
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions