2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking with my dog in MI ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cyidv2 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2012, 12:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for a few good places to go backpacking with my dog. I know a lot of places allow dogs on the day hike trails, but not the backpacking trails. Anyone have any info that could help or a site?

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe dogs are allowed in most state parks with certain restrictions -- look at michigan state park website.

Dogs are normally allowed on backpacking trails and campsites, but not in cabins or yurts, also dogs are not normally allowed on beaches.

My experiences have been in the U.P.  - I don't know if there are different rules for the rest of the state.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2012, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I have looked at a few and they state dogs allowed on day hiking trails, but not backpacking trails/camping areas.

For example, Picture Rocks.

Just wondering if anyone has actually gone anywhere in or around MI on the backpacking trails/camping areas
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cyidv2 @ Sep. 03 2012, 11:10 pm)
Yeah, I have looked at a few and they state dogs allowed on day hiking trails, but not backpacking trails/camping areas.

For example, Picture Rocks.

Just wondering if anyone has actually gone anywhere in or around MI on the backpacking trails/camping areas

The only parks I know of that don't allow dogs in the backcountry are the federal parks like Pictured Rocks, Isle Royal and parts of Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes.  Otherwise, in my experience, dogs are generally allowed in the backcountry areas, including national forest areas.  The question is more often whether leashes are required or not.

I've backpacked with my dog on the Manistee River Trail, North Country Trail, Nordhouse Dunes and the Porcupine Mountains.  Shouldn't be a problem in the Hoist Lakes area either.  Also, dogs are allowed in any of the areas in the national forests or state forests that allow dispersed/at-large backcountry camping.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pix Rox (and any NP or National Lakeshore) only permits dogs in designated areas. I through-hiked the lakeshore trail several years ago and rode the Altran shuttle with some guy who thought he could bring his dog along. He got stopped (fortunately) by a ranger about a mile into the hike from the Sable visitor center, who graciously offered to board his dog during his through-hike. That was some serious trail magic.

IIRC, the national forests permits dogs without any major restrictions, provided they are in wilderness areas or other specially designated tracks. The rules from the NFS web site:
- Leave vicious or unusually noisy dogs at home.
- During the day keep your dog on a leash no more than 6 feet long, or otherwise restrict its freedom to roam at will.
- At night keep your dogs and other pets inside an enclosed vehicle or in a tent.
- Developed campgrounds are for people, not animals. Please do not bring more than two dogs or other pet to any one campsite

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 6
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was told by a ranger that there are no dog restrictions, not even a leash requirement in the Otawa Nat'l Forest in the U.P.

I also know that there are no restrictions in the McCormick Wilderness.

I think you're asking about Michigan, so I've restricted my responses to what I know about Michigan only, and the U.P. in particular.  Of course, the best best is to call ahead or check the website, if there is one.

NOTE:  My experiences have led me to believe that there are two specific reasons for resticting dogs in certain areas.  First is to protect people from the dogs.  Second is to protect the dogs from the wildlife (or wildlife from the dogs, whichever way you want to look at it).  I have a dog that doesn't run after animals, stays with me on or off leash, and doesn't bark at or attack people, but I have to be careful where I go since so many places don't let me bring my dog.  I was in a State Park in Wisconsin last year (Copper Falls) and they wouldn't let me take my dog on a short segment of the North Country Trail because it coincided with a nature trail that was for people only.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the responses!
 Post Number: 8
gimp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2012, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try the Fox River Pathway outside of Seney in the U.P.  You would be O.K all the way up to Kingston Lake.   Just be aware that you will be walking by animals that may consider your dog to be a potential meal.  In the lower U.P. I've day hiked a major portion of the Jordan River trail with one of my dogs in the fall.  That turned out to be a bad idea because his long coat picked up a leaves, sticks and burrs and it took me days to get all of that out.
 Post Number: 9
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2012, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We don't usually do much backpacking in bear country with our dog. We just are not sure how he would react. We did bring him to Sylvania a few years ago but the forest there is so old, there is not much forage and I have never seen bear sign there. A friend did run into a moose there a few years ago though.

Anyway, we have run across people hiking with their dogs in the north woods quite a bit and no one has ever described any problems. As our pup would say if he could speak:

"Let no dog be left behind."

He is very enthusiastic about camping and is generally well behaved.

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 10
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll summarize all the places I've long - dayhiked / backpacked with my dogs (lots of repeat from above):

Nordhouse Dunes, Manistee River Trail, Jordan River Trail, NCT elsewhere, Hoist Lakes, Shingle Mill Pathway, McCormick Tract Wilderness, Porcupine Mountains, NCT in the Trap Hills, Bruno's Run, and Lake Superior SF.  

I would've responded sooner but my wife and I were backpacking with our two dogs up at Lake Superior Provincial Park in Ontario.  We found Canada has some great trails that are generally quiet so they make great places to take the dogs - we also hit the Bruce Trail this Spring with our dogs - both places have some similarities to Pix Rocks so that was pretty cool to be able to take the dogs.

Did you have an area of the state you were interested in?
 Post Number: 11
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2012, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oops, left out the Mason Tract Pathway we did a couple weeks ago (canoed down the Au Sable then hiked the pathway back).
10 replies since Sep. 03 2012, 12:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking with my dog in MI ?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions