2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: LandNavMan's guide to Grand Island< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 9:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Our own LandNav man has come out with the ultimate guide to Grand Island in Lake Superior. Grand Island is near Pictured Rocks. I have always enjoyed reading the pre-trip pages Michael puts out for his trips. I look forward to perusing this guide!!
http://www.miningjournal.net/page....av=5006
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow. That looks pretty cool. I have only spent 2 days there. Definitely want to get back. Have always wanted to camp at Trout Bay some warm day in September...

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2012, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow. looks like a really great thing to have. My wife and I are going up to Pictured Rocks next month so will have to pick a copy of this up in Munising. I wish he had the Pic Rcoks one out fo me to use in Oct.
 Post Number: 4
LandNavMan Search for posts by this member.
Michael Neiger ..Marquette~Michigan..

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the plug and the kind words everyone.

Exploring Grand Island is back in stock at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Explori....+island

Preview of cover page: http://therucksack.tripod.com/Extreme....age.pdf

Preview of page 5: http://therucksack.tripod.com/Extreme....ge5.pdf

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LandNavMan, Have you thought about doing a similar thing for the Porkies or for the Manitou Islands?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

QC:

Yes, but I am currently deep into one on Pictured Rocks.

If the Grand Island and Pictured Rocks map-guides are well-received, I may well put one together for the Porkies, doing the field work in 2013.

The Manitou Islands are another possibility also.

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sure the Grand Island one will be well recieved I plan to get one up in Munising next month while at Pictured Rocks
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks QC, appreciate your support. --Michael

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 9
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most excellent Michael, and congratulations. Hope you are stashing photos with future visits to the slide-show circuit in mind.

Eric
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Eric! --Michael

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should see about giving a presentation on Grand Island or Pic Rocks at the Midwest Mountaineering Spring expo over in the Twin Cities. They always are looking for presenters. The fall/ winter expo is Nov 16-18. They need presenters for that too.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Micheal, I purchased your guide while up at Pictured  Rocks this past week. Tried to buy it at the NFS Visitor Center but they were all sold out. They said it went fast. Got it over  at the drug store. I think a good place else to sell it would be over at the Munising City Visitors center over next to Hardees. As some people were in there looking for info on Grand Island. I told them about the guide book and of the several places to get it in town. The Ferry service office was  out of it too. So it's defiinitly selling well.
 As for the guide itself I used it while we did the bus tour on GI and it was GREAT. Very informative and has a lot of detail to it. All I can say is  WOW. You definitely deserve a pat on the back for all  the hard work you put into it.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the feedback and kind words QC.

Glad you were able to make it to Grand Island.

The Munising visitor center passed on the guide earlier this year, hopefully they will stock it next spring.

I just filled a 100-copy order from the USFS, so that should hold them for a while.

I think the ferry service is holding off ordering more as they shut down operations this week, until next spring. I expect them to restock in the spring.

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 14
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would suggest selling these out of a vending machine in the men's room at Hardees. Great reading material here.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 16 2012, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HJ: Placement in the "men's room" leaves me wondering if you're giving my effort a thumb's up or thumb's down? Either way, thanks for the clarification. :)

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 16
lukee1982 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

great guide.

--------------
TREK ON !
Isle Royale Pics
Hiking Pics
Trap Hills,Porkies,Adirondacks
 Post Number: 17
hikerJoe2 Search for posts by this member.
HikerJoe2

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congratulations on the publication Michael!

--------------
HikerJoe2
Plymouth, IN
 Post Number: 18
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 7:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LandNavMan @ Sep. 18 2012, 10:54 am)
QC:

The Manitou Islands are another possibility also.

All the Best,

Michael

If you ever decide to do something on North Manitou, I would love to read it as I have spent 100's of nights there.

Perhaps I could spend a few days on and off  the trail there with you and your team. I'll take my own boat though :)

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

KC:

If I were to do a map guide to North Manitou, I would want to consult you for ideas for sure!

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see that the Michigan Trail Maps has made a laminated map of South Manitou Island. I imagine they will come out with one for the North Island sometime. It doesn't look as indepth as your guide books Micheal.  They also have maps for the Manistee/ NCT trail and the Pickney Trail.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

QC:

Competition is good for us all, including me. It keeps me sharp!

Thanks for the heads up.

Let me know if you ever see something coming out for Grand Island or Pictured Rocks.

I just bought $2,500 worth of new software, so the PR map-guide should be another notch better than the GR guide, which will be upgraded when revised.

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Micheal, Sounds good. You guys got much snow up that way yet? A friend and I are looking to come up that way and do some snowshoeing and stay in a cabin at Harlow Lake sometime in January
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've had a melt-down recently, so snow is hard to find. I'm crossing my fingers that things will change soon!

Keep checking the following site for real-time snow-depth beta on this area... http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interac....=1&uc=0

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the snow link!
 Post Number: 25
planner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Michael,  I asked Santa for one.   Hopefully there will be one in my Christmas stocking.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planner:

Wow, that's pretty cool.

Hope you enjoy it!

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

QC:

We're scheduled to get a good dump of snow later this week...

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
26 replies since Sep. 04 2012, 9:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply LandNavMan's guide to Grand Island
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions