2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 85 mile hike without sleep, Pictured Rocks NL, We yo-yoed the trail in under 36 hours< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
glowingrock Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 12:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

8 of us set out to hike from Munising to Grand Marais and back to Munising on the Lakeshore Trail at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan WITHOUT SLEEP.  6 dropped out at the 1/2 point or sooner but 2 of us made it.  The video is the top one at my website Roy Kranz's adventure website  Let me know what you think or if you have any questions!

--------------
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2012, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looked like a 36-hour snubbing of some of the greatest scenery in the Midwest.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hopw you guys weren't some of the people who were standing super close to the cliffs while we were going by on the cruise boat. There was some guy standing on the edge of the cliff about 200 ft up. A good gust of wind or some loose rock  and splat.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2012, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Come on Travis, "snubbing"?  We stopped to take a few photos.  We enjoyed the views (when it wasn't in the middle of the night).  The "beauty" of this trip was setting a difficult goal and achieving it.  Most of the time we were there it was cold, windy, and/or raining.  There were not a lot of people just standing around soaking in the views.  

QCHiker:  Nope, wasn't us.  The seas were so rough when we were there, the cruise boat was not running.  We did not get close to the edge (other than when the trail itself went right along the cliffs).

--------------
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've hiked it a number of times +sections,times, and enjoyed the sites. My question is, why?, so fast? SO WHAT!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 7:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why climb a mountain that has never been climbed?  Why be the first to go to the South Pole?  Why run a marathon or a 100 mile ultra marathon?  It is a way to push your limits and see what you are made of.  It is something to motivate you to get in and stay in shape.  It is a way to experience hardship with good friends and succeed.  It is a challenge that I'm told has never been done before.  Seems like there are a lot of good reasons to do this.  Dean Karnazes said there is "magic in the misery."  I'm surprised by such a negative response by people from this site.  Perhaps you shouldn't knock it before you try it.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(glowingrock @ Oct. 04 2012, 6:16 am)
Why climb a mountain that has never been climbed?  Why be the first to go to the South Pole?  Why run a marathon or a 100 mile ultra marathon?  It is a way to push your limits and see what you are made of.  It is something to motivate you to get in and stay in shape.  It is a way to experience hardship with good friends and succeed.  It is a challenge that I'm told has never been done before.  Seems like there are a lot of good reasons to do this.  Dean Karnazes said there is "magic in the misery."  I'm surprised by such a negative response by people from this site.  Perhaps you shouldn't knock it before you try it.

I hear you, when I first looked at the video I thought of why not run this. But not before I hiked and or kayaked the shore line which I havn't had a chance to do yet. Would be shame to turn it into a racing trail with hundreds of runners hitting it in one weekend.
 Post Number: 8
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you're running into resistance because this is a backpacking forum.  Not an ultra "pick your activity here" forum.  Most people think of Pictured Rocks and think about how they love taking in the scenery or relaxing on the beach.  They don't think of it as a challenge that can be conquered in as quick a time as possible, nor do most people here want to do that.  If that's your thing that's fine, but don't expect everyone else to agree that you chose the perfect place to try and set some speed record.
 Post Number: 9
LandNavMan Search for posts by this member.
Michael Neiger  ..Marquette~Michigan..

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2012, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice accomplishment Roy, but most of us on here are into shouldering our rucksacks and soaking up the bush for as long as we can get away with it. --Michael

--------------
Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Makes sense.  I see the value in the kind of trip you describe.  I used to be able to take those kind of trips too.  Now with little kids, wife, demanding job, the time away from home is limited and we try to pack as much as we can into the little bit of time that we have.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool trip,

I totally understand pushing yourself to do "crazy" stuff just to do it. If I have the choice to push myself on a city road or a State Park I will choose the outdoors every time.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 12
LandNavMan Search for posts by this member.
Michael Neiger  ..Marquette~Michigan..

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Roy, I love/hate ultras too. Ran the inaugural 100k (62 mi) trail run between Gaylord and Mackinac City last October. Got my fill of the magic of misery for a while on that one.

--------------
Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 13
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2012, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats on your feat of endurance.

But frankly, it sounds awful.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 14
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2012, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds awesome, since I didn't have to do it!
I get it though. Last year I did overnighters locally on a weekly basis. This year I've done mostly "dayhikes" where I packed for an overnighter, but hiked straight through.
'Course those were more like 18-20 miles max, not 85. I'd have been hanging with the other 6 at the halfway point if I made it that far without, you know...dying.

I was going to do the Trans-Zion as an overnighter when I took my dad to NV/UT this spring, but sprained my ankle days before leaving. I'd really only do that somewhere like Zion, where I'd already seen everything along the way. In unfamiliar territory, I've got to have lots of pics!
 Post Number: 15
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 1:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for the Nuprin just having read about it. :D

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
14 replies since Oct. 01 2012, 12:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 85 mile hike without sleep, Pictured Rocks NL
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions