2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for A Long Lost Backpacker Destination, From old farm to cabin to homestead< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kage121 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 10:06 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, so this is going to be a longshot, but I thought I would give it a try. A few years ago, there was an article written in a backpacker magazine about this 3-5 day trip in the mid-west going from one abandoned farm to a cabin, to a homestead... to something else each day. Ive lost my magazines in a move and wanted to make this trip next summer. I dont even know the state it was in. The pictures were amazing and showed homes grown over with ivy and moss covered farms. The writer was super poetic telling the stories of people who had made these places their homes and what it was possibly like to live there. Anyway, this articles left quite the impression, so I am trying to find it or the route... can anyone help me?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Michigan? I kind of remember that article

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was thinking maybe either Missouri or Arkansas, maybe even Southern Illinois or Inidana. I think you go by some buildings on the Buffalo River trail in the Arkansas Ozarks.
 Post Number: 4
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buffalo River Trail, Parker-Hickman Farmstead

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Buffalo%2001%20West.html

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Buffalo River Trail is mentioned in the latest BP mag (November issue) on page 16.
 Post Number: 6
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't recall the article but I was just hiking on private land and ended up close to an old farmstead. While my dinner rehydrated I walked a 1/4 mile to the buildings. The barn has collapsed and I stayed far from it but I did walk into the house, just a bit as you never know how strong the structure is.

It made me very sad to be there and think that I know the 34-year old daughter (Rhonda) now and thought about her and her sisters being born there and growing up working the land and being flooded out every 7 years or so. (That was why they finally gave up.) It had to be a hard life.

Here is a picture of another even older place than theirs that I went out to. It is on property that Rhonda’s grandma bought from another family that quit long ago. I have often wondered why old farmsteads are allowed to just sit and fall apart instead of being bulldozed and turned into crop land. I think it is a respect thing.

You have given me an idea, kage121. Maybe I should buy a better camera and start hiking out to old farms and make a photo essay myself. Nothing like a depressing coffee table book… ;-)

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 7
QuoththeRaven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 29 2012, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I walked past the Parker-Hickman homestead last weekend; I was truly impressed with the build quality of they original home. Never before had I seen double dovetail joinery, those logs wouldn't move if they wanted to.  

As mute testimony of how hard life as a homesteader can be there is a cemetary about a mile or so away from the homestead, most of its residence were young children of the Parker and Hickman families...As a father of young children the sacrifices these folks made to live there hits home pretty hard.
6 replies since Oct. 23 2012, 10:06 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for A Long Lost Backpacker Destination
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions