2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pictured Rocks evaluates PWC use< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 3:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Info here:
http://www.parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectID=39835
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
planner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info. Another area they need to evalute is the need for wilderness latrines.  The campsites (especially the groups) are becoming giant "cat holes". I shared my thoughts on the evalutation form after my last trip this year.  Have other users found the same problems?
 Post Number: 3
LandNavMan Search for posts by this member.
Michael Neiger ..Marquette~Michigan..

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 30 2012, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planner:

I'm currently doing the fieldwork for a map-based guide to the Lakeshore, and just finished working up the area around the Cove's group site. Could not agree more, as even with the leaves out, I was coming across waste from slobs. Hopefully they will be addressing this issue in the future as too many wilderness trippers don't bury their waste--including even feminine products! What a mess.

And on another negative note, I discovered an ATV trail had been cut (lots of chainsaw work) through a remote, seldom-visited portion of the Basin Basin Wilderness, to within 200 feet of the Lakeshore Trail, now being renamed the NCT. Doing some recon and tracking to help Rangers bury the intruders in court action. Some nerve.

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 7:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When we were up there this fall we were in the Beaver Basin area and heard some ATVs. I figured they were over on private property. Which they may have been but they seemed awful close. Although their sound does travel a ways. Hope they get them.
 Post Number: 5
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LandNavMan @ Oct. 30 2012, 6:59 pm)
Planner:

I'm currently doing the fieldwork for a map-based guide to the Lakeshore, and just finished working up the area around the Cove's group site. Could not agree more, as even with the leaves out, I was coming across waste from slobs. Hopefully they will be addressing this issue in the future as too many wilderness trippers don't bury their waste--including even feminine products! What a mess.

And on another negative note, I discovered an ATV trail had been cut (lots of chainsaw work) through a remote, seldom-visited portion of the Basin Basin Wilderness, to within 200 feet of the Lakeshore Trail, now being renamed the NCT. Doing some recon and tracking to help Rangers bury the intruders in court action. Some nerve.

All the Best,

Michael

Dayum. That stinks about the ATV trail. What a bunch of turds.

Thanks for helping police this Michael.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Michael for what you do.  And while you have the Rangers' ear about the ATV (walk people, you'll enjoy it) don't forget my "pet peeve" the latrines.  It could be as simple as a can down a path (Boundary Waters). Hard to teach kids the LNT principle of concentrate the use, as it is now.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planner...I sent a note to the park about the need to consider latrines last night, based on your idea, and my recent observations. I had chatted about this issue with a front-office ranger this summer, and will do so again. I will discuss it with the Superintendent when I see him next too. --Michael

--------------
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 8
isleroyalegirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2012, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hopefully the jet ski issue will be addressed differently...please help by sending your comments. As far as the latrines...they might help the issue but there are so many people that refuse to use them. Oftentimes in areas where there are "can toilets", I see waste and TP dotting the landscape near them anyway. It would be great if they could dig a cat hole and pack their TP out at least. Leave no trace is meaningless to these people. This year during one of my trips at PR (Chapel Beach) I noted that someone broke open the locked canisters inside the toilet stall and stuffed it with garbage from backpacking food. I also witnessed an illegal campfire during the total fire ban (when the Eastern UP was on fire)...we did intervene and then later report the situation and thankfully fines were imposed on the guilty guys but something tells me they won't learn anything from that. My list could go on and on as I spend a lot of time in the backcountry. Hopefully the more people lead by good example, some of these problems will be eliminated.
Gail
 Post Number: 9
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2012, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Michael,

Great you caught the ATV Trail. Pretty curious about the exact spot, having skied most of that terrain. Seven-mile Cr. is quite a barrier (for a skier, perhaps not an atv) but at the east and west end of Beaver Basin the buffer zone does get semi close to the shore.

Eric
 Post Number: 10
cadesun Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A note on the latrine issue...

My wife and I made our first visit to Pictured Rocks a couple years ago and the place was spotless.  We decided to return this last Labor Day weekend and found the campground and beach area around Mosquito littered with toilet paper.  It seemed like we couldn't walk 10 yards without seeing some.

It is too bad that people are not respecting this area; in all of my travels, I have never seen anything like it anywhere in the US.

Cade

--------------
Adventures in travel, cooking, photography and life...
cadeandmolly.com
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cade, That is too bad because Mosquito has latrines.

Things like that dishearten me too.  We need to continue to follow LNT, teach our kids (why the groupsites are so important, PR sees a lot of scouts/Ys/schools) and keep after the public.
 Post Number: 12
Equipaje Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 1:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Michael, for helping to track down the ORVers.  They don't belong in Pictured Rocks.

As for the latrine issue; I do think that latrines need to be considered in some of our more heavily used lakeshores and wilderness areas.  I am seeing more and more toilet paper being left uncovered in areas where I hike.  Living right next to the Nordhouse Dunes, I see it everywhere!  I don't know why it is becoming more common to see tp left out in the open along trails, but it might be time to add some "backcountry toilets" in heavily used areas to help keep the areas clean.  I know that this detracts from the wilderness experience, but so does a wad of crap covered toilet paper two feet off of the trail.  It would be nice if the Michigan parks instituted a "carry in-carry out" model for toilet paper, similar to what is done at the Grand Canyon.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got back from 5 at the Rocks. I discussed the latrine issue with a long-time ranger and was happy to learn they plan to address this issue in the near future, at least at some of the high-use backcountry sites.

As for the ATV trail, after several more hours of spoor work, I was able to identify a remote camp the trail likely originated from, along with a bridge, perhaps one built without a permit. Eric, I don't want to disclose the location yet as there is still a lot of work to be done on this case. PM or e-mail me if you need more info.

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
~ Michael's credo.
 Post Number: 14
isleroyalegirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

E: It would be nice if the Michigan parks instituted a "carry in-carry out" model for toilet paper, similar to what is done at the Grand Canyon.

I completely agree with this statement. I have been doing so for years EVERYWHERE I go in the backcountry. Several quart-size Ziplocs will be enough for even a long trip (believe me I recently did the JMT and I had a bunch). I just empty them (without the plastic bag) into a front country toilet when I get back. They really shouldn't be put in regular trash barrels!
Gail
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with Gail. We are abusing the "priviledge" of burying our TP. We have been teaching the kids they have to carry it out with them, because I was finding too much not properly taken care of.  But the Grand Canyon is a good example of who is leaving it. I backpacked there a few years ago and the backcountry office had all kinds of rules about LNT and we all followed them.  I didn't see any problems. As soon as you came out of the backcountry into the dayhike areas; TP, feeding animals, noise. I believe the biggest offenders are dayhikers.  The comment about Mosquito River area beening so dirty.  That is a popular dayhike area and they have latrines.  I have seen TP all around those latrines, why?
Thanks Michael for the info about the future plans.
14 replies since Oct. 28 2012, 3:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pictured Rocks evaluates PWC use
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions