2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: McCormy-Baby!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Equipaje Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 1:42 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am going to be heading up to the McCormick Wilderness this weekend and will be hauling a canoe in to White Deer Lake.  I have a friend who will be meeting me later in the day on Saturday, but I won't have a canoeing partner for Saturday morning.

If there are any McCormick fans who are interested in joining me for a paddle on Saturday morning, respond to this post.  I will be spending most of Friday ferrying my gear and canoe in to WDL, but if I get an early start, there may be time for canoeing on Friday evening as well.  If no one shows up, I'll fill up some dry bags with water for ballast and explore WD and Bulldog Lakes on my own.

Jim
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
grousechaser Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope the weather cooperates.  Been driving by the road to the TH every other Saturday bringing my daughter to Marquette.  Each time I'm thinking I have to get back there and check it out.
 Post Number: 3
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would like to join you, but I'm in Florida.  Always wanted to canoe WD. Have fun.

BTW Do you have an ultralight canoe?
 Post Number: 4
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Enjoy. I'd consider visiting Lake Margaret also.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WiscoHiker @ Nov. 06 2012, 7:56 pm)
Would like to join you, but I'm in Florida.  Always wanted to canoe WD. Have fun.

BTW Do you have an ultralight canoe?

Yeah, it's pretty light at 42 lbs for an 18.5 footer.

We paddled the lake in cheap rubber rafts last year, but it was tough to enjoy the trip since the wind was blowing us all over and it wasn't very comfortable.  I'm sure that this year will be better.

Jim
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, grousechaser and Eric.  Eric, Margaret is on the list.  I remember you mentioning that you had enjoyed your trip there.  We are hoping to get one last trip in before the put the haul road in just east of the area.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How was the trip?
 Post Number: 8
Lorax Search for posts by this member.
Cultured hillbilly swine

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 19 2012, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had i seen this earlier, I would have joined you.

Hope you had a good trip.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The trip was nice, despite the continuous rain and snow.  I hiked in on Friday after a nice, misty hike.  The flooding nearly two miles in was very wet with water above my boots.  I set up camp and then decided to hold off on getting the canoe until Saturday morning.  I liked the idea of some canoeing in the snow, but didn't want to end up carrying it in the dark, which was likely.  After a good meal, I read and enjoyed the snowfall before heading to bed.  

Woke up to an inch plus of snow, which disappeared as the rain picked up.  The hike back to the car was enjoyable, with the rain picking up in intensity.  I met my friend at the car, grabbed the canoe and hiked back to camp at WDL.  The puddles were getting larger and water was beginning to flow down the trail.  We got back to camp, helped my friend set up his gear and caught up with each other over dinner and spiced wine.  Rain continued to fall, though the temp rose throughout the day.

On Sunday I got up early (once again, to rain), read and enjoyed breakfast.  By the time that my friend got up, the rain had stopped.  We hurried to get the canoe to the water and began paddling.  Water was high compared with the August rafting trip that my wife and I made a year earlier.  Lots of pitcher plants present in the wetlands between WDL and Bulldog.  We paddled around the old boardwalk piers, up and over a couple of beaver dams on the creek from Island Lake and to the dam.  We ate lunch at the dam and then returned to the main body of Bulldog, exploring the east side of the lake.  The wind was very strong and out of the SE, making the trip into the bayou near the dam exciting!  We saw lots of waterfowl and an eagle near a nest along the channel.  We walked the Lake Margaret Portage over to LM, stopping to break apart some moose and wolf(?) scat.  We opted to skip hauling the canoe since we were hearing thunder in the distance.  Sure enough, within 5 minutes of being on the water, the skies opened up.  We paddled back to camp, drank tea and waited for the weather to break.

It was while back at camp that my friend realized that his 4 season North Face tent had a leak.  His sleeping bag wet and a forecast for a temp drop into the low 20s that night; we decided to head out.  At 4 pm, we started out; me with the canoe and my friend with the paddles, life jackets and a day pack.  By now, the trail was completely flooded.  At the flooding the water was so deep that I tossed the canoe from my shoulders, jumped in and canoed along the trail!  The creek crossing near the trail to Baraga Lakes was also increasing in volume, making for a tricky crossing with the canoe.  After we dropped off our gear, we returned to camp, packed up our soaked tarps, tents and gear and headed out.  The hike out was insanely wet.  The water was pouring down the trail, and there were near-ponds where I have never seen water problems.  The hike out in the dark was beautiful and eerie, due to the fog and mist.  Thoroughly enjoyable, despite the wet and cold.  Back at the car, we packed up and headed to town.  All of the packing and twelve miles of hiking was completed in 4 1/2 hours.  After a quick shower at a cheap motel, we headed out for wings and a beer.

We had a great time and I can't wait to haul the canoe back in to Lake Margaret!
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sorry for the clipped sentences and any misspellings.  I'm doing this report on my phone!

There were a couple of funny things that happened out there:

While sipping on my coffee, I looked up in time to see two bicyclists go flying by my camp, oblivious to me.  They disappeared, but we ran into each other when I was at the car getting my canoe.  They had never seen me or my camp, despite it being 10 feet from the trail.

Throughout all of the trips back and forth to the trailhead, I had to duck under two low trees across the trail.  On my last hike back in to camp, I had my head down to keep the rain out of my eyes.  Suddenly, the thought that I should have had to duck for one of the trees popped into my mind.  I lifted my head just in time to smash it head-on into the tree!  My headlamp went flying and I was knocked on to my butt in a large puddle.  After the fog in my head cleared and I had gathered my lamp, I had a good laugh!

Rain and snow seems to be the norm for my trips to mcCormick.  This is the 6th overnighter in a row with rain or snow.  It doesn't lessen my love of this place!

Jim
 Post Number: 11
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Jim! I really enjoyed reading this, brought back a lot of memories. Some of the most vivid: Bullhead L return to White Deer launch site in serious whitecaps (and snow flying) me and Anne in a 2 person inflatable, barely room for the 2 of us, 2 full size packs. The all time best was me solo in a tiny cheapo inflatable (4 lb.), paddles that resembled ping pong paddles. I'm thru the narrows, into Bullhead and a beaver comes out from the shore, laps me several times, all the while flashing his teeth. I edged closer to shore, just in case he took a bite out of the boat. No worries, he split.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Nov. 27 2012, 3:47 pm)
The all time best was me solo in a tiny cheapo inflatable (4 lb.), paddles that resembled ping pong paddles.

Ah, like this?

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much easier with a canoe!

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the write-up --- funny how inclemate weather makes for a better/more memorable trip!  I can clearly remember all the times I camped/backpacked in the snow and thunderstorms, but have only faint memories of the "nice" days!

I'm not getting any younger, so my "maybe next year" chant has to stop!
13 replies since Nov. 06 2012, 1:42 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply McCormy-Baby!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions