2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ouachita Trail, Ouachita Trail-OK to AR< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 1:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone ever done the Ouachita Trail in Oklahoma and Arkansas?

Pros Cons?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done the stretch in OK leading up to the AR state line. It's quite pretty country. It was early spring when I went, before the trees were fully leafed out, which makes the panoramic views a little better.

Pros and Cons?

Well, my sons and I almost died in a flash flood in Pashubbe Creek, but that's more of a specific, personal con.

It's not dramatic mountain scenery like the mountains of the west, but it's worth going. If it were me, I'd avoid May-September like the plague--too hot/humid. October would be beautiful, but I bet water can be a problem.
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ChasWill knows a lot about the trail. He's got maps of the trai too
 Post Number: 4
Slowfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've hiked all of it in 30-55 mile sections, and I highly recommend it. Cons -- trail builders in some spots apparently never heard of a switchback, a couple of very suspect foot bridges on the eastern part that I would not use (if they are still there), lots of ticks in late April. We had good weather for all our trips in November, December, March, and April, although late April was borderline too warm. The other "con" is that there are so many areas I would like to explore more but just didn't have time. Pros -- lots of great scenery, few people on the trail. As far as I can remember the only other backpackers we saw on any of those trips were being picked up by the person who was shuttling us to our starting point. They were on a spring break trip from Wisconsin and couldn't understand why there weren't more (any) people out on the trail.
 Post Number: 5
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

couple of us are talking about breaking it into sections. Probably weekend trips.

Thanks for the input.
 Post Number: 6
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've section hiked it all.  I have nothing to add as far as pros and cons.  Be aware that it is not flat, despite people misconceptions of Oklahoma.  Normally, there is water along the trail including seeps, but often the trail is close enough to the Talimina Drive to hear the traffic.  Leaf off time is best as the views are better and the ticks pretty well gone.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 7
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The only con would be that water is sometimes tough to find, being that the OT is a ridgetop trail.  But it's not hard to cache water along the Talimena Scenic Drive which parallels the trail for a long stretch.

IMHO, this trail is a very worthwhile backpacking destination.
6 replies since Nov. 28 2012, 1:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ouachita Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions