2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Iowa< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have a friend passing through Iowa via Rt 80 in late June. Need a place to hike relatively close to 80 for a walk and talk. Maybe 3 to 6 miles. Preferably near Iowa City. We live in NE Mo and that would only be about a 2 1/2 hour drive for us. Any help?

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a nice little system of trails connected to Hickory Hill Park in Iowa City.  It's more extensive than depicted on any maps I've found.  I also like to walk up and down the streets of the old east side neighborhoods, especially Goosetown and Summit St.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2012, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Further out of town you could go to Kent Park, Coralville Reservoir, or Lake MacBride.   I met Mrs. big_load at Kent Park a few months short of 30 years ago.
 Post Number: 4
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 01 2012, 10:10 pm)
Further out of town you could go to Kent Park, Coralville Reservoir, or Lake MacBride.   I met Mrs. big_load at Kent Park a few months short of 30 years ago.

Thanks for the info. I'll check those places out on the net. 30 is good, but we have you beat by 4 years.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2012, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have fun!  Most of my immediate family still live in IC, so I try to get back there every year or two.  It's amazing how much has changed since I left.
 Post Number: 6
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not extensive trails, but Palisades Kepler state park near Mt. Vernon (20 minutes from IC) is a beautiful park with some beautiful trails.

Also, if anyone is a plant geek, Rochester cemetery is just off I-80 at the Tipton exit. One of the most botanically diverse places in the Midwest.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 07 2012, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree, Palisades Kepler is really nice.
 Post Number: 8
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not to hijack this, but Big Load, you get around brother.  Is there anywhere you haven't hiked/lived/visited?

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Dec. 12 2012, 10:20 am)
Not to hijack this, but Big Load, you get around brother.  Is there anywhere you haven't hiked/lived/visited?

That's what happens when you get old enough.   :laugh:

Regarding this area, though, I lived in Iowa City for almost 17 years and my folks and one of my sisters are still there.   Because it's something like home, I can't objectively compare it to other places.

There are still a lot of places I have yet to see, but I'm working on it.
8 replies since Dec. 01 2012, 7:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Iowa
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions