2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ralph Frese passes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 9:05 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some from the paddling community know of Ralph Frese.
He owned Chicagoland Canoe Base where he made and sold canoes. He was also a strong voice in the Conservation world bringing attention to matters most weren't aware of. I was fortunate to spend a rainy afternoon with Ralph in his shop hearing of his adventures in the Outdoors. He legacy will live on in the waters here and the BWCA among other places.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-12....h-frese
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good article about Ralph:
http://www.chicagowilderness.org/CW_Arch....se.html
 Post Number: 3
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks John,

I never met him, but certainly knew of him, and his good work. It's good to see him get this well-deserved recognition (articles).

The photos of the Lower Fox brought back good memories for me, fishing and paddling south from Yorkville.

Hope all is well over by you.

Eric
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 7:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Dec. 19 2012, 12:13 pm)
Thanks John,

I never met him, but certainly knew of him, and his good work. It's good to see him get this well-deserved recognition (articles).

The photos of the Lower Fox brought back good memories for me, fishing and paddling south from Yorkville.

Hope all is well over by you.

Eric

Eric,
The stretch of the Fox you mention is one of the nicest paddles in IL. Eagles have nested along there for a few years.

One of Ralph's friends who was one of the first environmentalists along with him, was known as the Fox. He championed cleanup of the Fox in the 70's. I was perusing a book written about The Fox in Ralph's store one day. He came up and we started talking. His eyes lit up when he saw the book I had and we had a wonderful conversation about the Fox, paddling, conservation, a good canoe ect.

Things are well, the work at Nachusa continues. We attained IL Nature Preserve Status for some of the preserve. Went to ME this year, saw puffins, pelagics, whales.
3 replies since Dec. 18 2012, 9:05 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ralph Frese passes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions