2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Midwest snow, Hope everyone is getting out< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 2:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope with this last big snowfall we got that everyone is out enjoying the snow either snowshoeing or cross country skiing. My wife and I went out yesterday up to Dubuque, Iowa as they had gotten 14.5 inches. Snowshoed at Swiss Valley Nature Preserve. We only did 4 miles since this was our first time out for the season. It was a great day to be out sunny and 29 degrees. A lot of other people had the same idea as we saw numerous people either snowshoeing or XC skiing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was planning to be in Wisconsin for the holidays, but other plans got in the way -- unfortunately, I'm stuck here in Florida for now.  I truly miss winter hiking.  Haven't tried snowshoeing, but would like to.  XC skiing is not my cup-o-tea  - I admire those who are physically able to XC ski on some of the trails that I've hiked in the summer month in Wisconsin -- hard enough to hike, must be a real b---- to ski!
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya I know what you mean with the XC ski. There were some XC skiers there that were in the 55-65 range that were in really great shape s they were going up some big hills with no herring bone steps that I was having to take a break on. Hope you are enjoying the warm weather in Florida.
 Post Number: 4
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Baraboo area got a lot of snow, over a foot, and XC ski conditions at the state parks in the area appear to be pretty good.  I went to the three state parks in the area today and all were very scenic with the snow on the white pines that are common in this area.  Rocky Arbor SP is closed but you can park at the gate and hike or ski in.  Worth a stop if you're in the area.  I can't stand Devil's Lake in the warmer months because of the crowds, but right now if you go you can have it all to yourself.
 Post Number: 5
steelhead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey all!  We (Gaylord, MI) had close to 20" last week.  My 4.5 month old yellow lab, Ellee, just loves it!  I, too, went out on my snowshoes this afternoon (Ellee was apprehensive at first as she has never seen me in snowshoes but found following me was much easier than bushwacking her own trail).  The snow is starting to condense enough that snowshoes are warranted and make walking a breeze comparatively.  That said, I want more snow!!!  Bring it!

Steelie
 Post Number: 6
Indianabob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have over a foot on the ground in South-central Indiana. I came down with an ugly head-chest flu the day of the big storm. I managed a couple of miles in the state forest last Thursday but it just about did me in.

I hate not getting out int eh woods when it's like this but common sense dictates that I get over this before I try anything remotely ambitious. Looking out at the forest from our sun room is beautiful and we have had an amazing variety of birds at our feeders.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I hit the trails this past weekend at Donald County Park just South of Mount Horeb in Wisconsin. Got in about 4-5 miles of snowshoeing. The snow we great as they had about 12-14 inches. Met lots of other outdoor enthusiasts snowshoeing and cross country skiing. In fact we have seen more people out on the trails in the Winter snowshoeing and XC skiiing than when we are out hiking or backpacking.
6 replies since Dec. 23 2012, 2:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Midwest snow
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions