2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Isle Royale wolves and Yellowstone wolves< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 8:57 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Iowa Public Radio did an interview of IR Wolf biologist Rolf Peterson on the status of IR wolves and wolves in general.

http://news.iowapublicradio.org/post/wolves-isle-royale-and-wolf-832
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a long interview, but I think it puts a good perspective on the importance of a continuing wolf presence on Isle Royale. Currently, with such a low number of wolves, the chances of the wolves surviving on the island are put at about 50/50.

If somehow the wolves' breeding sustains them and builds up their numbers again, then a long study can continue. But I think Rolf Peterson presents a good perspective on the wisdom of the Park Service bringing in new wolves if the current predator-prey relationship falls apart.

We've learned a lot from Isle Royale. If a long chapter must come to a close with the demise of the current wolf population, then a new chapter can also begin. Let's hope the Park Service can begin that new chapter without unnecessary delay.

That was good informative listening. Thanks John.

--------------
Location Wyoming
Webpages Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos Bighorn Mountains Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
BackpackHNTR Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man didn't cause the crash of the IR wolves. So why would you support meddling in nature this way?

Maybe wolves shouldn't be on the Island. Doesn't mother nature no best?
 Post Number: 4
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BackpackHNTR @ Dec. 25 2012, 8:02 pm)
Man didn't cause the crash of the IR wolves. So why would you support meddling in nature this way?

Maybe wolves shouldn't be on the Island. Doesn't mother nature no best?

One of the things Rolf mentioned in the interview was the lack of ice bridges between IR and the mainland which use to form frequently in the past when we still had cold winters. This has been caused by global warming which is man made. Beacus of this the wolves have less of a chance to get to IR.
As such I don't think it is out of the question for the NPS to bring wolves back to IR if the situation warrants it.
 Post Number: 5
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can't be so sure that global warming, thus the decline of the wolf population on IR, is man-made/caused.

I say leave it alone, if wolves were meant to be there, they'll find a way.
 Post Number: 6
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe what NASA and NOAA scientist say over Heritage Foundation lackyes paid by Exon but that is just me.  With over 95% of climatologist agreeing that global warming is being accelerated by man there is consensus and peer review process that beats the speculation by Cato and Heritage.  It really is silly and only in America are we having this debate.  Probably why we are 17th in education as well.  

It would be sad to lose the howl of the wolf on IR to global warming or otherwise.
 Post Number: 7
Gordon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bringing domestic dogs to IR with Provo Virus against the law and infecting the wolf population was certainly man made.
 Post Number: 8
Gordon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WiscoHiker @ Dec. 30 2012, 1:00 pm)
You can't be so sure that global warming, thus the decline of the wolf population on IR, is man-made/caused.

I say leave it alone, if wolves were meant to be there, they'll find a way.

We could bring in the wolves from Canada where they believe in global warming instead of US where about 1% of the scientists and about 10% of the general population does not believe in global warming.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not a matter of believing in global warming, just a matter of cause.

If man caused the decline in the wolf population, by all means we should try to fix it.
 Post Number: 10
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Few, if any, things have single causes. Multiple factors are responsible. When it come to wolves, it's tough to deny humans had their effect.

--------------
Location Wyoming
Webpages Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos Bighorn Mountains Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, Travis, I'll agree -- I'm actually taking a 180 degree turn on this issue based on the posts in this thread -- thanks for the education.
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gordon @ Jan. 01 2013, 7:08 am)
Bringing domestic dogs to IR with Provo Virus against the law and infecting the wolf population was certainly man made.

And that, for me, is that.

It's a managed park service unit: they should manage it.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 03 2013, 5:00 pm)

(Gordon @ Jan. 01 2013, 7:08 am)

And that, for me, is that.

It's a managed park service unit: they should manage it.

And that is what brought me around 180 degrees!
12 replies since Dec. 23 2012, 8:57 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Isle Royale wolves and Yellowstone wolves
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions