2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trip Planning Summer 2013, McCormick and/or Porkies< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:49 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking about a backpacking trip in August 2013 -- would like to run up to McCormick for a few days, but I have some friends who'll be in the Porkies at about the same time, so maybe I'll go there.  I've been to both, so it's nothing new, but I like to try new routes, etc.

My current "rough sketch" of my McCormick Plan is to start at the trailhead that goes in to White Deer Lake.  I can easily drive up there from Madison (where I'll be in August), park, and hike in to the camp site on the southwest shore of the lake -- it's an easy 3.5 (or less) mile hike.  If I get an early enough start, I'd like to hike around to the east of WDL and camp on the west shore of Lake Margaret.  Then I'd like to hike around the north end of Bull Dog Lake (haven't seen the falls, so that's a destination for me) and over to Upper Baraga Lake.  The last day would be a hike to Lower Baraga Lake and then follow the LBL trail to the WDL trail and back to the car.  I'm thinking the mileage would be short enough that it would be a fairly leisurely hike and easy enough to make in three days -- any suggestions would be appreciated.

The attached map shows a very rough idea of where I'd like to go.  I'll use my GPS software to zero in on an actual route before making my final plans.

As an alternative, I might go to the Porkies.  More on that at another time.  I might go to McCormick, drive to the Porkies, hike in  for a couple days and then go home.  I'm not decided at this point.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Bkrnclmbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wiscohiker,

Myself and a good buddy of mine did a labor day trip through McCormick off-trail in 2011. We did a route from the north end, but covered some of the same terrain (North trailhead > Bulldog north end > Margaret south side > Island Lake peninsula > Evergreen Lake > Lost Lake > Norht Trailhead). Just something to note, Leg 3 of your proposed journey goes through a pretty hefty swamp, and the "creek" crossing near Island Lake is no simple task. My friend and i had to construct a makeshift bridge out of deadfall and paracord to make our way across that same "creek". Also note that some of the bush is pretty thick and it can be difficult to maintain good GPS reception in the swamps, a compass and topo are the best way to navigate this region and just using a GPS to sanity check. I've got lots of info and photos from the area so feel free to fire away with questions.

Matt
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Matt, thanks for the info.  I've been on the east side of WDL in August (09, I believe) and never made it as far north as the falls or the north end of Bull Dog.  I also started an off-trail journey to the other side of WDL to Lake Margaret but turned back when I before I got too far.  Leg Two doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue, but I was wondering about Three and Four.  I could modify Three to stay closer to BDL and then shoot out toward Upper Baraga Lake after getting past the swampy areas, I think.  Leg Four was designed to follow the Lower Baraga Lake Trail, I thought it might be non-swampy from LBL to the WDL trail but every time I've hike the WDL trail and gazed upon the swamp to the north, I've decided to stay on the trail!  

As I was saying, my current plan is a rough guess, so as we get closer to August,, with help like Matt gave me, I can tweak this route to be better and better.

Thanks again.
 Post Number: 4
LandNavMan Search for posts by this member.
Michael Neiger  ..Marquette~Michigan..

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wisco:

If you're into cool bivouac sites, here's a quad I put together some time ago, in case you did not see it. These are the prime sites I know of.

http://therucksack.tripod.com/MiBSAR....acs.pdf

If you can't layover there, at least check out the one on the point on Island Lake, and the one on the rocky point marked by the western-most red circle along the north edge of Bulldog Lake.

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Michael,

Thanks!  I'll try to work some of those into my trip.

Mike
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 7:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I remember someone on this site telling me about a campsite at the west end of Lake Margaret -- I think there were some photos, too.  Anybody remember who that was?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, it was Eric H. who posted the info about the site on L. Margaret, and I put an arrow on a photo to "pinpoint" it -- anybody else camp there?
 Post Number: 8
LandNavMan Search for posts by this member.
Michael Neiger  ..Marquette~Michigan..

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Wisco:

I have been to the points on both sides of the outlet, but have never bivouacked at either. My quad shows bivouac spots on both, but I have no recollection of whether they are just rugged, lay-down-and-sleep spots or otherwise.

The image shows two nice places I have bivouacked many moons ago. The north spot may be rugged, but it is high up on a pine-studded ridge, overlooking the lake. The eastern-most is a sweet flat rock slab at waters edge. Neither of these spots may be traditional camping spots, but I have spent a good night at each location, keeping in mind I sleep in a bivouac sack with a tarp overhead, so I don't need a tent-quality spot.

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 7:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Michael.  Depending on the route we decide on, maybe we can check those out.
8 replies since Jan. 04 2013, 8:49 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trip Planning Summer 2013
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions