2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: McCormick Wilderness History, What happened to the link?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:06 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to go to http://www.foyeins.com/mccormicktract/History.htm for historical information, etc. about the McCormick Wilderness in the U.P., but the site no longer exists.

Does anyone know why?  Or if there's a similar site with the old maps and photos, etc?  I miss that site!

Thanks,

Mike
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well at least I found this http://www.richardhendricksen.com/pages/grandcamp/index.html which also links to the other site that doesn't exist.  This site has the photos and other info that I was looking for.
 Post Number: 3
LandNavMan Search for posts by this member.
Michael Neiger  ..Marquette~Michigan..

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Wisco:

Tom is an insurance agent here in town, but not sure what happened to his great site. He led a lot of youth groups in the tract over the years. Here is his site, less the tract info. Shoot him an e-mail and see what he says: http://www.foyeins.com/

Here is an old map of the tract I have online for the trips I coordinate for the area. It's an awesome one if you study it closely, comparing and contrasting it with your quads...

http://therucksack.tripod.com/MiBSAR....Big.jpg

All the Best,

Michael

--------------
Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I stumbled upon the insurance site and wondered if it was the same guy.  I also have that map downloaded from a couple years ago when I first went to McCormick -- used it to find some old trails, kind of! LOL  Great map.  Again, thanks for the info.

I just sent an email to them -- will let you know if I hear anything.

Mike
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got an answer to my email -- he said the site is down temporarily while he switches to another server, will be back up in about a month.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

McCormick is so rich with history that I'm thinking about making a "landmark" backpacking trip through there this summer.   I posted my "original" route, but will be modifying it as time goes on.  I'm wondering if I would like to hit some of the landmarks like The Crow's Nest near Pinnacle Rock, The Acropolis north of Island Lake, and The Fortress on the north side of White Deer Lake.  There are so many things to see there!
 Post Number: 7
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in the LP and have done a few trips to the UP but never the McCormick.  I saw your other thread and was interested in checking it out.  Looks like a nice long weekend trip.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I happened upon McCormick in 2009 while looking for a nice place to backpack by myself -- I can't remember if I first heard about it on this site or not, but I drove up there from Madison, WI, hiked in and pitched my tent.  After a night of heavy thunderstorms, this is what I woke up to...how could I not fall in love with that place!

Post Number: 9
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now that is what I'm talking about.  Beautiful.  There is nothing better than a nice cup of coffee with a view like that.
 Post Number: 10
Lbear Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About 20+ years ago I worked with my mom and the north country trail association blazing trails through the mccormick tract. I found the old pack the other day splattered with blue paint and it reminded me of my time there. It was awesome. I don't remeber where we camped but I do remember the first time I saw the northern lights was on that trip. I need to make it back .
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 7:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for GPS coords for the various landmarks in McCormick, the ones that appear on the old black & white, hand-drawn map like "The Acropolis," "The Crow's Nest," "The Fortress" etc.  I can locate them on topo maps, but I just wondered if anyone here had coords for any of them.  Thanks.

Mike
 Post Number: 12
LandNavMan Search for posts by this member.
Michael Neiger  ..Marquette~Michigan..

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have any waypoint data for the tract as most of my work in the tract was pre-GPS, and now we use mostly map and compass in that bush.

--------------
Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)
Seek not the wilderness trip of a lifetime, but a lifetime of wilderness tripping
~ Michael's credo.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been to McCormick a couple times -- the first time I hiked along the northeast side of WDL without a GPS -- wish I had one with me because I'd like to know exactly where I hiked.
12 replies since Jan. 05 2013, 8:06 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply McCormick Wilderness History
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions