2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Porkies in the fall, group itinerary< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bette Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We will have a group of 8 backpackers (7 tents) doing a five day four night trip in the Porkies.  Can anyone suggest a good itinerary?  The books and blogs that I've looked at had great ideas for one or two hikers, but they don't work for us because of the number of campsites that we will need. We would like to stay together.
Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 7:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always stayed in cabins in the Porkies, so I'm no help with finding campsites, but I've always loved this brochure:

http://www.michigandnr.com/publica....r_2.pdf

It has an old-fashioned feel to it, but the info is spot on.

Have a safe trip!
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks for showing the brochure.  We will be staying in tents, most of the cabins don't look like they would work for a group of eight, and we are on a budget.
 Post Number: 4
Bkrnclmbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Lake superior shoreline between the mouths of the Big and Little carp rivers is an area where you could all camp together, there are many sites there and room for a group up on the hill overlooking the lake near the Big Carp river. There would also be room at Mirror lake for such a group, and if i'm not mistaken there is an 8 bunk cabin there as well. Any sites along the rivers, escarpment, or further inland may be a gamble. It will really depend on when you're going (e.g. high season or shoulder season). If you were to go in say may or october you could probably fit that group at a number of locations.

Matt
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot of groups do the following trail loop:
 Start at Lake of the Clouds parking lot and take the Big Carp RRiver Trail to the Lake Superior Trail, take that to the Little Carp River Trail and the take the North Mirror Lake Trail back to the parking lot. You do it in a counter clockwise hike as it's easier that way. Plus you get better views hiking up the Little Carp River trail.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Although some might disagree, you can take the Cross Trail from the mouth of the Big Carp River over to the Little Carp River Trail.  People like to bad-mouth this trail and I don't know why.  It's mostly through deep woods, with a portion that can get wet and swampy.  It cuts off about 2.5 miles compared to going along the lake to the Little Carp River Trail.   There are lots of places along this trail that would be ideal for camping in a group, but no fire rings or the like.

The rules allow you to camp just about anywhere so long as you're not too close to cabins, roads, trailheads, etc.  I believe you are only allowed fires where there are metal fire rings, however.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I meant to mention, that you can hike down to Buckshot and then traverse the Lake Superior Trail to Big Carp, but you have about a mile or so hike on the road from the parking lot at the top of the escarpment down to the trailhead.  I didn't particularly like the hike down the hill to Buckshot, but once you're there, it's great!

I remember there being lots of potential group campsites along the Lake Superior Trail between Buckshot and Big Carp.  The trail can be a big rocky and hard on the feet and ankles, but it's right along the lake and very scenic in many parts.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good suggestions. Can anyone tell me about the back country camp sites?  Could you put two small tents on one site?  Can you put tents adjacent to the site?  For example, if the map shows three campsites, would you be able to put seven small tents in the area? Thanks for helping.
 Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I all depends on the site. The campistes are not just for one tent. I've seen some that you could easily put more than 7 tents in. Some of the sites are a little smaller but on the most part the ones I've seen or used are quite large. Some of the sites are not real flat though. We were at one on the Little Carp River trail, west of Mirror lake and enve though it was a large site didn't offer too much in the way  of flat gound to put a tent on. In fact the flatest spot was where they had put the fire ring.
I've stayed at some of the ones around Mirror Lake and the ones on Govt Peak Trail just north of the Union Springs trail. All of those have been pretty nice.
 Post Number: 10
planner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Porkies are used by a lot of groups (scouts, Ys) so most of the sites are big. I would just plan a route that works for your group. You'll fit.
9 replies since Jan. 15 2013, 1:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Porkies in the fall
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions