2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sylvania Wilderness< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
restorationdude Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 11:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am thinking of backpacking at Sylvania Wilderness this summer.  I found a couple maps online that show the wilderness campsites and the trails but i am having a hard time referencing mileage.  Does anyone know the approximate trail mileages?  Around Clark Lake? From the trail head in the SE corner nearest Hwy 45 up to Clark Lake?  Thank you.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.michigandnr.com/publica....dex.htm

8 miles around the lake

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 3
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the Land O Lakes trailhead (SE corner of Sylvania) to the SE corner of Clark Lake is 6.8 miles if you stick to the trail (which rounds the north end of Deer Island L.).

A more direct route with more lakeshore scenery than the trail is about 5 miles -- but involves relatively moderate offtrail skills.

Hike the trail (from Land O Lakes) 3.2 miles to the junction just east of Deer I. Lake. Then do a 3/4 mile off trail segment. From the jct. walk northwest to the shore of Deer I. Lake and follow it west and then a tad north (along the lake's southern shoreline) to intersect the portage trail from Loon Lake. Take the portage trail to Loon L., then follow a faint trail along its eastern shore to its north end, then the portage trail to Clark L.

Check your library for a copy of Hiking Michigan's Upper Peninsula by Eric Hansen (me). Description of the route is in the book.

Luck with it.
 Post Number: 4
restorationdude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you leafwalker and Eric for your comments.  Eric,  I reserved a copy through the inter-library loan system and am waiting for it to come in.
 Post Number: 5
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Best Map is at the Sylvania Outfitters website
go here then click on the Big Map icon near the bottom of the page.
http://www.sylvaniaoutfitters.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
4 replies since Jan. 19 2013, 11:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sylvania Wilderness
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions