2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Wisconsin Mining Bill< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
star Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 7:38 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's back in play. Please consider attending what is likely to be the only public hearing on SB1 at the Capitol. The hearing runs from 9am to 9pm.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you cannot attend, emails may be sent to Senators Lehman and Tiffany

Sen.Lehman@legis.wi.gov
Sen.Tiffany@legis.wi.gov

Mention opposition to SB1  in the header and body of your email to have your vote counted.

--------------
If I wanted to live in a dictatorship I would have picked a place with shorter winters.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Written testamony submitted before the end of the hearing must be entered into record, same as spoken testamony, and may be submitted to the above addresses. The League of Conservation Voters is asking even those in attendance to have their testamony in written form in case they don't get an opportunity to speak, and to bring 5 copies, so they can be sent everywhere they need to go. If you do speak, you will be limited to 3 áminutes.

There are strict rules in place for signs and decorum. Signs will probably not be allowed in the building, if you are bringing visuals, you may have to make a case for their presence. Be prepared and be careful. Anyone told to leave will be barred for 24 hours per the new rules of conduct.

--------------
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got word, only statements and votes received during the times of hearing will be entered in as  as testimony. The hearing is scheduled from 9am- last testimony or 9pm, whichever  comes first. This will be THE only chance for public input.

People have asked me if they need to be a resident, NO. Lake Superior belongsto us all. Out also wouldn't be a bad idea to let them know how likely anyone is to vacation at the edge of an open pit mine.

If you can, come down. See you at the Capitol!

--------------
 Post Number: 5
WiscoHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did I miss something -- what's the DATE of the hearing?
 Post Number: 6
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WiscoHiker @ Jan. 23 2013, 3:24 pm)
Did I miss something -- what's the DATE of the hearing?

I think it was today.
 Post Number: 7
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Summary on what the bill does?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 8:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was yesterday. Sorry for the brevity of my post. I'm down to just my phone, and I'm frankly not very handy with it. Posting in this forum is also rather difficult for me. We also had no notice, and kept receiving conflicting information. There has been much comment and opposition here on the mining bill and the proposed Penokee mine over the last year, I assumed (yeah, I know what they say about assuming), everyone was familiar. Long story short, a 22 mile open pit mine is proposed that would highly affect the NCT, amongst other things. The process of iron mining will be exempted from previous wetland restrictions, the permitting process is severely degraded, and the process for public input and redress is removed. The mine itself is a monster. Just the initial stage is 4 miles long, the entire mine proposed to be 22 miles long.
I'll see if I can get you some links.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't get to the bits I wanted to post, a good summary of the bill and much information on the proposed mine are contained here.

http://www.conservationvoters.org/

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They will be voting on the bill February 6th. We need public input. Out of staters, let them know how very much you'd enjoy vacationing alongside a 22 mile long open pit mine. Great Lake states, that you have a stake in what ends up in the lakes too.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Howdy all,

Star, thanks for this.

Can't begin to state how critical this is -- this "mine" bill is not just an attack on wise, common sense laws that protect our waters -- it is an attack on the fundamental right of citizens to know what is going on.

James Rowen said it well in an op-ed in today's Milw. Journal

http://www.jsonline.com/news....31.html

The mine, and the bill, are unacceptable.

Two videos at this site are well worthwhile re the mine and the "mine" bill.

http://midwestadvocates.org/issues-....enokees

1. (Bottom) 5 members of the Bad River tribe comment on what the mine would do, how it would impact their lives and the waters and landscape.

I know these folks -- sat in a conference room in Milwaukee visiting with them several weeks back while the filming proceeded nearby. These are heartfelt words from people who love the land -- and waters -- just as we do.

2. (Above) Ch. Mike Wiggins testifying, eloquent and forceful on the basic bogus nature of the legislative "hearings" and process on the mining bill.

Keep on pushing. The ball ain't been whistled dead yet.

Eric

"It's not about the mine. It's about the water." Mole Lake Chippewa elder Fran Van Zile
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And Eric, thank you for that!

Did you attend the hearing? What a cluster, and how awful people traveled several hours and weren't even able to speak.

The geologists say don't do it, the Army Corp of Engineers says don't do it, and the Tribe certainly says don't do it... so full steam ahead? Perhaps with enough public pressure we can make them do it right. If not we can only hope that their haste will be their undoing. There is much in the bill that doesn't meet federal standard.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which is not say there is anything wrong with the mining laws we already have. Calling them a Mining Moratorium is a misnomer. There is no ban on mining, but it must be safe.
Safe is not an unreasonable requirement.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 2:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Al Gedicks runs it all down.

http://wcmcoop.com/2013....rst-law

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some minor changes to the mining bill have been made.

http://m.host.madison.com/news....7a.html

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seriously? The phones are down at the Capitol. They're still online.

Emails, Facebook, and Twitter it is then. They are voting tomorrow!

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's ALL the addresses. Have at.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/Pages/leg-email.aspx?h=s

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.wiseye.org/Home/AirVideoStream.aspx

It's being heard in committees now. This is the Senate committee. It's some pretty lively stuff.
Phones are down, they're puling fire drills... Jauch is fuming!

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Joint Finance Committee will be hearing the bill on Monday, the 25th. They are likely to vote it through to the floor.
Again, input is needed. I'm told to contact Senator Cowles in particular, as he has a history of voting for environmental protections, especially of water resources, in the past. Olsen and Ellis may also be receptive.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The hearing is at 2:01 in Room 411 South for those wishing to attend.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now I'm hearing the Senate will be voting on the bill on Wednesday.

We attended Fred Clark's listening session in Reedsburg. Not one person in attendance was in favor of the bill as presented. Of special concern to this farming community, the water draw off exemptions. Put simply, they can run high capacity wells and water use for mining trumps all other concerns. We are in a state of severe drought. Keep your hands off our water. Also of great concern is the removal of protections for Parks. We depend on our natural areas and the tourists they bring. Personally, I find the Penokee project unlikely. There are a number of legal challenges that will tie it up for years.But change the law for one, it changes for them all. While there are a number of other projects in the works, I think it's the Baraboo Hills they're really after. They've been heavily protected since the 70's but this bill removes those protections. All of them.
Please take a minute to read the summary of the bill. Please consider shooting them an email in opposition to the bill. Even pro mining folk such as Dale Schultz recognize it's bad. I'd say the wolves are at the door, but we rather like wolves, and they would be far preferable to a foreign mining company.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is it. They'e voted it through the Joint Finance Committee, it's heading to the floor.
The Senate will be voting on it Wednesday, The Assembly is expected to vote on March 6th.
We need you. Call. Write. Email. Tell them to slow down. Tell them to do it right. Those minerals aren't going to jump right out of the ground and take off if they don't push through this horrible piece of legislation. Tell them how much you love the outdoors. Tell them to keep safe our Parks and Natural Areas. Tell them you've been coming here for years to enjoy our outdoors. You can even tell them you're all for mining, but this particular bill is BAD, why not consider Schultz and Cullen's proposal that keeps environmental standards in place? Just tell them. We only have two days to turn this around. We need you.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

USGS has been pretty active in NE IA this winter using sonar to scout for valuable metal formations 2-4000k down. May prove interesting. Allamakee county has put a moratorium on frack sand mining and winneshiek may do the same
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It goes before the Assembly this week, skeleton session on Tuesday (a hearing to satisfy some rule of the Assembly, I'm told), then on the floor on the 7th.
Despite all opposition it seems at this point inevitable. I hope the lawyers have their running shoes on.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tallgrass, I've heard of renewed interest in our lead district as well. It's not that these deposits were played out but rather that they weren't financially viable any longer.
I've read many an article, they can't be after the taconite. There's a glut on the market that will only increase as China has opened two monstrous iron mines. They're laying off mine workers in Michigan due to this glut. They're after something else, but what? To get into the Parks?

--------------
24 replies since Jan. 20 2013, 7:38 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Wisconsin Mining Bill
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions