2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BSuess Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 9:39 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was writing about the Wichita's recently and how much they meant to me while I was going to school in Dallas. I can't imagine finishing four years there without the opportunity to disappear into the wilderness this small but rugged mountain range offered. I made it back there for one great day last year, after having been back in California for six years. Though not well known, the Wichitas really are one of the great jewels of the plains!

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had a forum hike there a few years ago. áIt was quite a bit of fun, even though my wife cracked a bone in her foot when she slipped and her foot went in between two rocks.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am glad you enjoyed the Wichitas but that is a bummer of a price to pay!

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was hurting her a little at first, but when we got in the sleeping bags it got to hurting her so bad that we went into Lawton and stayed in a motel.

--------------
But a trail is a song."

in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is a bummer. I hope you were able to eat at the Meers Store. If you did not and you make it back to the Wichitas, make it effort. The place is fantastic. I turned a bunch of my friends out here in California onto the place when they were driving across the country. Now it is their favorite burger!

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've eaten at Meers a number of times.

--------------
But a trail is a song."

in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 7
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amazing pics. Have always wanted to check this place out. Looks like some great scrambling.

They don't allow backcountry camping, right?

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 8
johnmuir Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, they allow backcountry camping with a permit.
Bubba, i share your enthusiasm for the wichitas.  I have read your work on the wm page at summitpost.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Google Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge and you can find all the info you need for a backpacking permit.

My favorite memory of Meers is when I refused to stop at McDonalds when my grandson's were wanting to eat.  I told them I was going to eat where I wanted to eat.  When they were finished eating, they agreed that it was worth the wait, but you should have seen their faces when I bypassed Micky D's.

--------------
But a trail is a song."

in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bubba, i share your enthusiasm for the wichitas. áI have read your work on the wm page at summitpost.

I appreciate you pointing that out. I often wonder if people ever read any of the stuff I post on that site. I am glad the Wichitas have their fans. It surprises me how few people know about the range. Living in Dallas for four years, I never met anyone who knew they existed and were always griping there was nowhere really beautiful or rugged to go hiking or camping. You would think a place like that so close to such a big city would be crawling with people from the Metromess...Let alone folks from OC.

Regarding backcountry camping, here is a link to the refuge page and, more importantly, the map showing where one can camp. There are some nice spots in that area, though water is in short supply most of the year. That said, it is very close to the trailhead, so it is most suitable to setting up a base camp and hiking from that spot to various points in the Charon's Garden Wilderness. It is conveniently close to the Crab Eyes (my favorite spot in the Wichitas) though, for what it is worth.

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
 Post Number: 11
johnmuir Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You and mark have created a great page.  If i can figure out how, next time i go i will post a trip report of my own.
10 replies since Feb. 21 2013, 9:39 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions