2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Where can you do canoe and backpack combo?, River-running not flatwater< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
topshot Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 12:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm double posting this in the Southern section, too, since some of it is within a reasonable drive for us.

I'm looking for places that we can rent canoes, go 1-4 days downstream and then backpack back to the car on some decent trails (minimal road walking). I know of many places to canoe in the Midwest, just not with parallel trails. I'm not interested in BWCA. The only 2 places I know of are in the Southern section.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well you could do the NCT along the Manistee River in Michigan. The NCT runs along it  for quite a few miles. Plus you are on state forest area so you  can  camp wherever you want. There are a couple of outfitters  for the Manistee River. I know of two for the upper part, Wilderness Canoe Trips and Chippewa Landing. I think there is another one for the river downriver of Hodenphyl Dam, You could do the NCT or the Manistee River Hiking Trail. downriver of the Hodenphyl dam and then when you get up to the dam have canoes waiting and canoe down river. A bunch of other bping groups have done that in the past.
 My wife and I have canoed  from the Missaukee Bridge down to Mesick. The Manistee is a great river. Very scenic. It goes along at about 4-5 Mph. The NCT runs along it and you could easily do a hike and canoe trip somewhere on that section. In fact I would look using Chippewa Landing if you did as they are right across from the trail up by Hwy 131.
  If you have any other questions on the Manistee River let me know. As I have a bunch of campsites/potential campsites on the river plotted out on maps.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 2:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out the Buffalo National River down in Arkansas also. As they have  trails down there that roughly parallel the Buffalo River.
 Post Number: 4
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

look up the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania.  I think there's even a bike path in the gorge, so you can choose to bike back up if you want.  the hiking trail is on the rim.

http://pacanyon.com/

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 5
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The two rivers that come to my mind are the Manistee and the Buffalo (AR).

I have always wanted to a pack and float overnight on the Manistee River Trail, where I would hike up from Red Bridge, camp, and meet an outfitter the next morning with a canoe to float back to Red Bridge from Hodenpyl. When Little Hungry gets old enough, we'll do that.

I have heard great things about the Buffalo River, but haven't been. Someday.

Another option could be selected segments of the Ozark Trail in Missouri. The MO Ozarks are full of spring-fed, rock bottom creeks and rivers that offer GREAT paddling. A quick scan of the OTA website suggests the following possibilities:
1) Courtois Creek (miles 1-16): OT passes right next to creek at mile 16. Several outfitters run floats on the creek out of BAss Resort, just 2 miles downstream from this point.

2) Current River: OT crosses river at mile 145 (Powder Mill), follows it for several miles, and then veers off until approaching the river at mile 173 just west of Van Buren, MO. A few miles south of here at 179 is a spur connector to Big Spring, which empties into the Current River.

3) Eleven Point River: OT follows the river from a spot near the TH at mile 202 down valley to mile 218 before veering off to the north a bit.

The OTA can help with logistical planning for shuttles and camping.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 6
thegriz1 Search for posts by this member.
Will hike for beer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BWCA frost river, louse, little indian sioux or on the border summa those lakes are like rivers up on the border. frost and louse put in at gunflint head west

--------------
Life is too short to drink cheap beer
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When is the bug season for the Manistee? I'd guess June-August.

Hungry Jack, how old is your little one? The son I'd be taking is 6. He'll just be along for the ride, not paddling. He's a decent hiker though.
 Post Number: 8
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really want to do the MRT hike-paddle combo.  I've driven to the dam access on the north side with the stairs down to the water just below the dam.  I figured I could stash my kayak there.  Then drive to the Red Bridge trailhead and hike the MRT upstream, pick up the kayak and paddle to a river-side camp for the night.  I camped in in a nice site last summer just below the footbridge that was right at the river.  (I think it's #3 in the map at the link below.)

I keep putting it off because it's hard for me to leave my dog at home but it's definitely on my list for this coming summer.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5373964.pdf

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 28 2013, 7:19 am)

Hungry Jack, how old is your little one? The son I'd be taking is 6. He'll just be along for the ride, not paddling. He's a decent hiker though.

not quite.  Up there, black fly season starts earlier.  Probably peaks in May and is tapering off in June.  Skeeters pick up after that, and the deer flies come out when it is hottest.  I did a lot of paddling on the Au Sable in college and didn't really have skeeter issues when I was on the river.  They also weren't as bad if I was in the upland areas away from the river.  Down in the river bottoms, though, they were hell.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We did the Manistee River last year around the 4th of July and didn't have nay problems with mosquitos out on the river and really not too much when we camped as long as we were up off the river on the hills/bluffs. When we camped one night down at river level we had a lot of mosquitos. Being up on the bluffs/hills there was always a good breeze and not too many of them. No black flies or deer flies.
 Post Number: 11
Lbear Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Myself and a couple of friends will be doing the MRT backpacking/canoe trip the first weekend of may 2013. We plan to leave 1 car at hodenpyl with canoes, paddles, fishing gear ,beer and steaks. We will then take the other car to red bridge, backpack 2/3 or so of the trail on friday, finish the backpacking portion on saturday and get the canoes. Then stay at the best campsite we found the last two days and head to red bridge on suday morning.
 Post Number: 12
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 5:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done a canoe/hike trip on the Manistee River 5 times. 4 times I hid my canoe in the woods near the Little Mac suspension bridge, then started hiking the MRT north from Red Bridge. I'd camp a couple miles in then leave my gear river side and hike to the canoe, float back to my gear and then float back to the car. I've done this with 3 different dogs as well as various hiking partners. On another occasion I've floated south from Red Bridge to Government Island where we camped overnight, then paddled around the backwaters of the Tippy Dam Pond and did some riverside hiking (and geocaching) before canoeing back upstream. So you could easily get 2-3 days of hiking starting near the Tippy Dam and then floating back (it's about 4 hours from the Hodenpyl Dam to Red Bridge, then probably another 4 to the Tippy Dam - this is easy paddling, can go faster or slower depending on how much sightseeing you want to do).
 Post Number: 13
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure if it has been done, but the North Country Trail goes along the Brule and St Croix Rivers, including using the historic portage between the two rivers.
Here is the local chapter's website
http://northcountrytrail.org/bsc/
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 5:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 28 2013, 8:19 am)

Little Hungry is not quite 2.5 years young. It will be a while before I have him out. Thankfully he is learning how to swim now, but he is a city kid, and the outdoors will be a real change. But I cannot wait for our first tent night. Should be interesting.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took mine on his first backpack at 4.5 - nice chilly somewhat off-trail overnight in the Deam Wilderness followed by a 2-night at Forest Glen Preserve a couple days later. That was during our spring break 2 years ago. I should have started earlier but I was late getting into BPing.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(isawtman @ Jan. 28 2013, 11:56 pm)
I'm not sure if it has been done, but the North Country Trail goes along the Brule and St Croix Rivers, including using the historic portage between the two rivers.
Here is the local chapter's website
http://northcountrytrail.org/bsc/

Looks like the Bois Brule from Co Rd S to Hwy 2 could be done without too much extra walking and there's an outfitter right by the Hwy 2 takeout.

Not so sure about the St Croix as NCT turns away before it gets there and I didn't find any other hiking trails near that northern portion in a quick search. A few short trails along various portions of the southern end but no connectors other than roads that I could tell.
 Post Number: 17
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Finding a river with an adjoining backpacking trail along the same route might be a challenge.  But I would check out http://www.nps.gov/sacn/index.htm as there are a lot of campsites along the riverways (St. Croix and Namekagon) and there are some trails along it as well.  And actually it looks like there is a 12-mile trail on the Minnesota side you could backpack so maybe that might work.  Trails link I would recommend giving them a call if you think it looks promising.
 Post Number: 18
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 29 2013, 9:59 am)
Not so sure about the St Croix as NCT turns away before it gets there and I didn't find any other hiking trails near that northern portion in a quick search. A few short trails along various portions of the southern end but no connectors other than roads that I could tell.

The NCT returns to the St Croix River near Gordon Dam County Park. That would be about 35 miles of backpacking

take a look at the map here
http://northcountrytrail.org/bsc/?page_id=15
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(isawtman @ Jan. 29 2013, 4:47 pm)
The NCT returns to the St Croix River near Gordon Dam County Park. That would be about 35 miles of backpacking

So you can easily paddle upstream from the Flowage to Upper SC Lake? I guess the pioneers did if they only had to portage the 2+ miles from the lake to the Bois Brule. All the stuff I found was showing from the Gordon Dam downstream or on the Bois Brule.

I'm also not sure I'd want to solo portage a canoe for 2+ miles either.  :p
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 29 2013, 4:46 pm)

(isawtman @ Jan. 29 2013, 4:47 pm)

So you can easily paddle upstream from the Flowage to Upper SC Lake? I guess the pioneers did if they only had to portage the 2+ miles from the lake to the Bois Brule. All the stuff I found was showing from the Gordon Dam downstream or on the Bois Brule.

I'm also not sure I'd want to solo portage a canoe for 2+ miles either. :p

A 90lb Pelican?  not so much.  something a bit more reasonable wouldn't be so bad.  especially with a good portage yoke and pads.

I think I could handle my 60lb Royalex Wenonah for 2mi with a good set of pads.

something like these.
http://www.rutabaga.com/chosen-....ke-pads

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think rentals places provide yokes, and I'd also have my backpack for the return hike.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 29 2013, 6:52 pm)
I don't think rentals places provide yokes, and I'd also have my backpack for the return hike.

the ones in my link above are clamp-on, so you could attach them to a rental easily enough to whatever basic yoke is on the boat.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me it's not worth the cost for the very few times I need such a thing or the extra weight to have to carry once done with the canoeing portion. But thanks for the suggestion and the GC of PA link.
 Post Number: 24
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 1:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 29 2013, 8:25 am)
I took mine on his first backpack at 4.5 - nice chilly somewhat off-trail overnight in the Deam Wilderness followed by a 2-night at Forest Glen Preserve a couple days later. That was during our spring break 2 years ago. I should have started earlier but I was late getting into BPing.

I'm interested in your itinerary, can you give me more details?
 Post Number: 25
Bleve Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 2:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I forgot another place for an overnight trip is canoeing the south branch of the Au Sable River then hiking the Mason Tract Pathway (about 8 miles I think).  We did that this past summer with 2 dogs in the canoe.  We went on a weekend and it was very popular with the party crowd at put in but once on the river I think we only passed two groups.  The river is shallow and lots of nice wildlife.  Also nearby is the Shore to Shore Riding Trail that also at points follows the Au Sable River.  It's a horseback riding trail but obviously hiking is welcome on it.  I've only ridden my horses on it but there were some nice stretches high on the banks of the river.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TheBeef @ Jan. 30 2013, 1:07 am)

I'm interested in your itinerary, can you give me more details?

See my home page in my profile. Those 2 videos are on the second page now. I used a lower quality setting back then, but you still get a decent idea of the look and feel of the place.

The short version for the Deam is we parked about a mile east of the fire tower, headed downhill past the campsite and up into the hollow across from it to spend the night. Next day hiked down the Sycamore trail and when it turns to the north, crossed the creek and hiked up to the ridge and followed an old road back to the car. That was 2.5 miles as close as I could trace it.

He did so well that we did the River Ridge Backpack Trail at FGP with about 3.5 miles each day (11 total according to FGP).

Last spring break we did the Adventure Hiking Trail in Harrison Crawford SF. The route they did was 18+.

FYI, the second video is also a trip with my youngest in the Smokies - 23 miles.
 Post Number: 27
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 30 2013, 8:09 am)
See my home page in my profile.

Cool. I ended up finding those last night. I'm reasonably familiar with the area, but haven't spent much time in Deam. I've been toying with the idea of an all off trail weekend in March, but haven't given much thought to where. Usually my group travels further to get to more adventurous locations, but time constraints are an issue this time. Going more off trail might make for a memorable time.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It would be easy to go off-trail in most areas of the Deam. Patton Cave is a neat place to visit though I haven't been yet.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine will be 4 in September 2014. Maybe we will do an overnight at Forest Glen (we live in Chicago, and it's probably our closest easy option). But that first trip might have to wait until fall 2015. We'll see.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 30
Lbear Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm taking my 4 and 6 year old boys to grand island this summer, we do 3+ mile hikes now so I think they should be fine for a small trip.
32 replies since Jan. 27 2013, 12:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Where can you do canoe and backpack combo?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions